What's new

Optimal Router Temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine seems to hold steady. Not really putting a load on it .... yet.
upload_2020-4-22_12-20-57.png

If its too hot then its probably got a case of Covid-19 fever

I'm running an RT - AC5300 and my CPU runs consistently at 160° f . it seems to me to be very high but after a years uptime without a temp incident I'm cautiously optimistic?
Screenshot_20200707-081053_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

fans are cheap - and so am I... they are the first things I salvage from dumpster-meat electronics... cooler is mo better, just in case...

Yes, I agree with you 100% is way mo better, however, my monster 5300 is 7 ft above the ground, sits on an oak slat, bench. Any practicle suggestions? Anyone ever heard of a USB powered fan? YaDa, YaDa, YaDa…

Yes, I agree with you 100% is way mo better, however, my monster 5300 is 7 ft above the ground, sits on an oak slat, bench. Any practicle suggestions? Anyone ever heard of a USB powered fan? YaDa, YaDa, YaDa…

Take a look at Amazon, Laptop cooling pads are almost all USB powered. Does that mean we could run one off one of our router's USB ports without problems?

Thanks everyone! Having a fan really made a big difference. :) Got a small laptop cooler for $8 online and now the temp plays around 50+C to 60+C :)
View attachment 12514
Do you have a make and source for your cooling pad you can share?

Exactly what I'm thinking [emoji848], however, will this make my router run even hotter, will it put a signicant strain on the router, will the laptop cooler continue to run if and when the router is not running? Perhaps a forum type will offer up their practicle wisdom?

You do understand that 60° C is around 140° F and you did say 60+?

Here is a Amazon UK link to a brand of fan I use. (Version I got, 3+ years ago, was minus the 3 speed switch !!!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRCDZDH/?tag=smallncom-21

I am sure you can get similar much cheaper ($ vs £) on Amazon.com, just search for "USB Fans". :)

I'm using a Cooler Master X-SLIM II to cool my AX88U. But not for that price in Amazon! :confused:

I got mine for only around US$10.00:D

Last edited:
@Makaveli Hmmm, I'm curious to know why your AX88U is emitting lights on the vents. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have one.

My AC88U hovers at around 80-85 degrees all day. Not sure if good or bad but I think shoving active cooling into it is quite a bit overkill.

@Makaveli Hmmm, I'm curious to know why your AX88U is emitting lights on the vents. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have one.

Which lights are you referring to?

Most likely he means...

VU1ukEG.jpg

Ahh there is nothing there that would produce any lights, so I think its getting a reflection off another source or just the camera itself. If I take a day time shot that area is not illuminated.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a small USB-powered fan for my router (see image. Fan's plugged into my router's USB 2.0 port). Within a very short time, my CPU temperature had dropped 40deg F (185 to 145), and my radio temperatures had dropped ~15deg F each as well.

I feel better, and I'm sure my router does too :)

IMG_5147.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!