What's new

Orbi: Ethernet backhaul kills entire network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, NG should have this fixed soon and post it on next official update. Working well for me as well.

The 2.2 firmware remedies this issue and seems to work well overall. Hopefully Netgear will promote it to full public release soon.

The 2.2 firmware remedies this issue and seems to work well overall. Hopefully Netgear will promote it to full public release soon.

Good to hear, thanks for the news!

Did some more testing today with the Orbi 2.2 Beta and noticed that after I had configured the satellite with WIFI backhaul then plugged in an Ethernet cable to do wired backhaul nothing would connect on the Orbi LAN. Solution was to power the router and satellite down, connect the Ethernet cable to the router and satellite, power up the router then the satellite. Wired backhaul was stable after that process, direct wired or wired through a switch.
Can anyone confirm this procedure works with either the 2.1 or 2.2 firmware?

When i connected mine up, the LAN system seem to pause for several seconds, then everything went to normal. I didn't have to power cycle either unit. I'm using a v2.1 version. Been stable.

Does anyone know when they are releasing the Orbi 2.2 firmware? Thanks for the advice and I have reached out to NETGEAR Guy to try and get the newest 2.2 Beta

Last edited:
So I wanted to follow up on this as I just installed a hardline to about where the Satellite is at and attempted the utilize the ethernet backhaul. Completely bricked my entire network within about five minutes and hard resetting the router didn't fix the problem This is with the most current 2.1.3.4 Firmware

Update....Netgear guy came through in the clutch with the 2.2 beta firmware and I no longer have any issues. Having a dedicated Netgear rep that monitors this forum is an amazing value add.

I agree, Netgear Guy has been very helpful. Great for Netgear's customer relations *smile*.

I agree, Netgear Guy has been very helpful. Great for Netgear's customer relations *smile*.
I've had same "bricked" experience with 2.1.3.4 when attempting ethernet backhaul. Very frustrating troubleshooting process (you try XYZ and then WAIT 10 minutes, your only feedback is the Orbi lights). Back to WiFi backhaul until this is sorted out. Or return it to Costco :)

My post is here.

I've had same "bricked" experience with 2.1.3.4 when attempting ethernet backhaul. Very frustrating troubleshooting process (you try XYZ and then WAIT 10 minutes, your only feedback is the Orbi lights). Back to WiFi backhaul until this is sorted out. Or return it to Costco :)

My post is here.
If the backhaul didn't work for me, I would have sold the Orbi considering how much time i've wasted on it. For some reason the Orbi wireless backhaul had issues with live TV streaming despite having a good connection

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My wired and wireless back haul is working well for me and live video streaming. I have a NG wireless media bridge connected to the satellite in the next room. A DISH Joey connected to the bridge for the mom in law. Working well for me.

40 feet distance between router and satellite.

If the backhaul didn't work for me, I would have sold the Orbi considering how much time i've wasted on it. For some reason the Orbi wireless backhaul had issues with live TV streaming despite having a good connection

Update - I unplugged the connection to the satellite to put the wall plate on and when I plugged it back in again, crap hit the fan again. First off, the router wouldn't recognize hardline connection. I unplugged both the router and the Satellite for a bit but no dice. Then I went for a flat out factory reset and at first that didn't work either as the router wasn't connecting to the internet correctly. I unplugged the router one more time and that seemed to do the trick. It's crazy how finicky it is with with Satellite connected via ethernet

Update #2 -There's still something weird going on that's causing massive latency issues that was not present before disconnectgate. Latency to Xbox live servers is around 500ms, azure servers 520ms. Would a damaged wire somehow cause the rest of the system to freak out? That's the only thing I can think of that might have happened when I plugged to jacks into the wallplate.

Last edited:
Besure your using good LAN cabling. Try some CAT6 LAN cables. Do a quick test with A satellite directly connected to the back of the router. Should come online and work well after about 5 minutes. I recommend setting up the satellite on wireless first. Once BLUE Led connect the ethernet cable between Satellite and Router. Should come to ready.

If your experiencing latency, you could have some bad cabling.

The problem is that when I connect either satellite to my LAN via Ethernet, the entire network becomes inaccessible. I can't even ping the router from my wired PC. When I unplug Ethernet from the satellites and reboot them, the network works, but the satellites are just a bit too far from the router to connect. I moved them a little closer to the router and now they work, but I would prefer wired speeds. I understand the wireless backhaul is pretty fast in theory, but there are many walls between the sats and the router.

It's likely an ARP storm, as you have two links now attached - the WiFi backhaul along with the Ethernet backhaul.

Check your settings on the primary device...

This is similar to issues with Sonos...

Besure your using good LAN cabling. Try some CAT6 LAN cables. Do a quick test with A satellite directly connected to the back of the router. Should come online and work well after about 5 minutes. I recommend setting up the satellite on wireless first. Once BLUE Led connect the ethernet cable between Satellite and Router. Should come to ready.

If your experiencing latency, you could have some bad cabling.
After some testing I don't think it's the cabeling as I am getting the same latency issues over WiFi sitting one foot away and my main PC is directly connected like it's always been without any issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!