What's new

Orbi RBR50 High CPU Usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wrongwavelength

New Around Here
Hi All,

Current Setup:
Fiber internet (1000mbps download/upload wired & 400mbps wireless)
  • RBR50 running V9.2.5.2.9SF-HW as an AP
  • RBS50 running V9.2.5.2.9SF-HW on a wireless backhaul with a good connection
  • RBS20 running stock V2.5.1.16 on a wireless backhaul with a good connection
15 devices connected via wifi and ethernet.
Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming all Enabled

Problems:
1) I am getting a ton of lag in video games, my guess is this is to due to buffer bloat... I feel like an Orbi should not be suffering from this problem! Any ideas?
2) My CPU usage on the RBR50 is constantly hovering around 85%, the RBS20 is 20%, and the RBS50 is about 50%. This seems abnormally high?

My CPU usage on the RBR50 is constantly hovering around 85%, the RBS20 is 20%, and the RBS50 is about 50%. This seems abnormally high?

Seems abnormally high. You should check what process eats your CPU. From telnet/ssh, command 'top' shows processes and CPU load by them.

Voxel.

Last edited:
This is what I'm seeing

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.36.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.36.19 AM.png

As far as I understand you published above two screenshots. First is debug page, second is result of 'top'. Your 'top' screenshot says that 83.2% of CPU time is idle...

Voxel.
Yes, top definitely shows that most of the CPU is idle, even when the debug page shows the opposite. I guess the top command is probably a lot more reliable.

Here's top showing higher CPU usage (but still a lot lower than that GUI)
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 11.25.29 AM.png
Error in the web page? Screenshots not taken at the same time?
Both screenshots taken at the same time

I guess the top command is probably a lot more reliable.
You know, my build is more... how to say... more fast to respond. WebGUI itself takes CPU time. Very short time. Few seconds or so. Example: I enter to ORBI's WebGUI, my CPU load:

1613072719074.png

Few seconds since my entering:

1613072833584.png

And... Just my build is more fast to catch this peak of CPU load. When you load the debug page. Because of you use WebGUI. I hope I do not outrage NG/DNI.

When you enter to WebGUI it starts to scan anew your devices attached to ORBI, to perform additional actions etc.

Voxel.

Ahh got it! That makes a lot of sense in regards to the CPU load. I had a hunch the gui was putting a load on the CPU... thanks for looking into this though and thanks for a great firmware.

Any tips on what I can do to reduce buffer bloat? I'm running in AP mode. It's typically very evident when I'm in video calls, or playing games.

I agree, the webGUI needs time to catch up. With the kamoj addon, it took 1 minute to load the "Router Information." BTW, can I ask for the package for your top GUI? It is much more intuitive than the stock top.

You indicate that you are running your router in AP mode, that should mostly eliminate Orbi from the cause of the bloat.

How are you determining that buffer bloat is your issue specifically?

Are you gaming over wifi or via ethernet cable?

Are you connected to the satellite or the router?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!