What's new

Diversion Order of operation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zaxcom

Regular Contributor
I'm curious as to the order of operation when it comes to blocking of ads and trackers. I have Diversion on my router, I run a Safari as my browser with its built in tracking blocker, and I have the WIPR extension running to augment what Safari does.

So If I go to a website that has trackers that are recognized by Diversion, Safari and WIPR, which one blocks first?

Diversion will usually be the last to block, because it is only going to receive DNS queries for domains that the browser has requested. If the browser blocks an element from being processed, the DNS query may not be made at all.

But I don‘t know with any certainty how the Safari architecture works. A while ago, some ad-blockers (not necessarily Safari-related) used to just prevent ads from being displayed AFTER they were fetched. So Diversion would theoretically have the chance to be first in that case. I don’t think that’s how it happens anymore because once you make the query, the tracking will have already happened at the server-side.

Long-winded way of saying, “It depends.”

Long-winded way of saying, “It depends.”
I was about to write that long winded reply when your reply notification showed up.
Let me just add that Diversion blocks outgoing domain resolving requests by apps, browsers or other ways of contacting the internet from your network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!