What's new

OT - surviving pandemic from personal experience (no trolling, PLEASE)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when we look back on all this in time to come, whether some of the things we now ‘have to do’ for safety, will be adopted as ‘normal’ after the pandemic?

More people working from home more often?
Less focus on rushing down to the shops to get just one or two items?
More online purchasing?
For those that can, a return to growing a little of our own food?

We as a species have survived & thrived because of our great adaptability. As always, we will learn & adapt as part of the ongoing process (hopefully).

In this Internet age, I am struck by the absence of public advisories over the historical media of radio and TV. So, if you don't tune in to some news channel domestic or foreign, it's business as usual over the airwaves.

Just saw a first Covid-19 public service announcement on FS1 by the CDC and the National Association of Broadcasters... short and sweet about washing hands. Not very impressive except for the large, bold, black Covid-19 text.

FS1 is replaying US Women vs Nederlands in 2019 WWC final.

OE

Central California things changing rapidly day by day! Went to get an X-Ray yesterday, my insurance is an HMO and restrictive as they are require pre-approvals at a clinic they select. Went to that clinic yesterday, this is a cluster of many medical offices near a hospital, are screening at the door or parking lot with tents setup. Handed them my requisition, upon quick examination the lady told me I could not enter due to my older age! I am a few years past retirement but look twenty years younger thanks to my fitness level I have kept my entire life.

Walked to my doctor office two building over who issued the request for the X-Ray, they told me to go to the hospital next door since this X-Ray was higher priority. So I did and they took it with no questions, just a few screenings for symptoms, tl;dr takes twice as long as before this virus event.

Had another referral for another medical procedure for the same temporary minor illness I have. Called that clinic, same thing not seeing seniors! Back to the hospital next week for that too! I am not one to panic or get anxious, but I have to wonder what happens for essential medical service like this when the S*** hits the fan!? As OE states in post #36 above "Reality check... California just ordered state-wide lockdown (40 million); half the population (22 million) could be infected in 8 weeks."

After reading more since that post, it is clear that is the worst case doomsday scenario. Still....

Last edited:
So far in my area businesses seem to be deciding for themselves if they're "essential services" and as you might expect, a lot of them are deciding they are. It's hard not to sympathize with businesses trying to keep the doors open and pay their employees. Lots of people live paycheck to paycheck, shutting down businesses can mean a huge amount of suffering to a lot of people. You may say preventing the spread of coronavirus trumps all that, but forcing millions of people into homelessness is just going to kill them more slowly. I'm not at all convinced the banks and corporate landlords will do the right thing with respect to people who are suddenly unable to pay the mortgage or rent. Thursday's "shelter at home" order only served to increase the panic level - I drove past our Costco this morning (taking car for service), and the line was out of the parking lot and down the street - at least a kilometer, maybe longer.

I don’t want to be alarmist, but has everyone pondered that this virus and the oil price war between Saudi and Russia is the way TPTB have chosen to deflate the (now global) economic bubbles they’ve been profiting from since the beginning of time this time around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@heysoundude, follow the money and you will always get the right answers. :)

This is why I bitcoin. To put the money back in the hands and control of the people who use it.

Currency, in any form, is a means of control. A rose by any other name... ;)

The issue with any 'electronic' 'Xcoin' is that it can be stolen so clandestinely... probably by the people you think you're protecting yourself from. :p

Currency, in any form, is a means of control. A rose by any other name... ;)

The issue with any 'electronic' 'Xcoin' is that it can be stolen so clandestinely... probably by the people you think you're protecting yourself from. :p

Ok, mods want facts:
It can be stolen, much more clandestinely than cash in your wallet. This is true. And why you should not carry any more than you’re willing to lose in a wallet. This is why there are cold storage solutions, much like bank vaults, that are difficult to access unless you display the correct credentials to do so.
Most cryptocurrencies have been set up so that you and your peers can be your own banks, and not have to do business with the existing cartel.

I am not one to panic or get anxious, but I have to wonder what happens for essential medical service like this when the S*** hits the fan!? As OE states in post #36 above "Reality check... California just ordered state-wide lockdown (40 million); half the population (22 million) could be infected in 8 weeks."

After reading more since that post, it is clear that is the worst case doomsday scenario. Still....

A key word in my first post is 'reluctant'. People are reluctant to see the forest for the trees. Essential medical services will be defined to be a medical emergency. Otherwise, stay home until this first wave has rolled through and we have time to catch up our lives and better prepare for a rougher second wave next fall. And so on until we have a vaccine and/or have become expert at preparation and remediation including social distancing, and I don't mean Facebook.

CA, WA, and NY are our lead epicenters... they are at the beginning of the middle of wave1... the part where the wave pitches up its steep slope. It remains for the rest of the US to follow their lead. Hold on to your seats... it's a slow motion train wreck made worse by our very poor federal response.

The New York Times is offering free Covid-19 coverage... you just need to login with your e-mail and a new password to affect immediate access. Then watch this US map animation of the spread of Covid-19 across the US from 1/21 to 3/20 during which time our experts knew what was coming...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-us-cases-spread.html

Pray for our everyday heroes.

OE

Last edited:
I'm out in Southern California - and yes, things have slowed done quite a bit - people are starting to take this very seriously.

The colleges/universities have sent students home to make the dorms available for quarantine, local gov't taking action to get homeless off the streets, as that population is very much at risk.

As mention by others in CA, essentials are open - starting to see some limits on purchases, traffic is down significantly - my 45 mile drive up to Carlsbad is down to 40 minutes from the usual hour and a half.

We're in better shape than most - I've got team members in the UK, Germany, Italy, Poland, and India - Italy and Germany are totally locked down, UK is getting there, India is as well. We're cloud-centric, so work continues. I had to move equipment from the office to set up a lab here at the house. We've asked folks to work from home, only coming in if absolutely necessary.

Lost an old friend last week due to Coronavirus, but he had chronic COPD to begin with, and he was in that age group (60-69) where the risk of complications is much higher...

Common sense says to avoid getting infected is the same as it is with the flu or common cold - if sick, stay home, wash hands, social distancing works.

Be safe out there.

Useful link...

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

@sfx2000, sorry to hear about your friend. He wasn't that old, but the COPD increases complications dramatically. Thanks for the share.

Stay safe friends.

@sfx2000,He wasn't that old, but the COPD increases complications dramatically.

It really does, COPD took Leonard Nimoy away from us. And he survived the 1960s, the adulation of millions of hardcore fans, and Star Trek V. The man was a trooper.

I have shut down all operations indefinitely. I don't care if my business is classified as essential by someone else. The health and safety of my family, my friend's families, my colleagues and workers is at the top of my priorities list. I expect COVID-19 to spread like a wildfire across North America in next 3-4 weeks. Stay safe folks, stay home. Go outside only in case of emergency, to get groceries or medications. Wipe everything you bring home. This virus is not a joke.

I have shut down all operations indefinitely. I don't care if my business is classified as essential by someone else. The health and safety of my family, my friend's families, my colleagues and workers is at the top of my priorities list.
A very sensible approach and I wish you well. Fortunately, here in Ontario, and many parts of Canada, it is mandatory for non-essential businesses to close, so there is no ambiguity. Unfortunately, many, small businesses may not be able to restart despite all the measures currently in place to help them. More help is likely to come in both Canada and the US, but there will still be casualties.

My family is trying very hard to do our part and only go out (1 of us, usually me) once every 10 days or so to get food and meds, for the past 3 weeks or so now. Fortunately we are in a position to be able to do this without needing government assistance (both retired).

Best thoughts to you all and much gratitude for those providing essential services!

Fortunately, here in Ontario, and many parts of Canada, it is mandatory for non-essential businesses to close

The list of so called "essential businesses" is longer than the list of businesses I knew existed. And it's written in a way everyone may become "essential" easily. The traffic on 401 is still there, it's hard to believe all the people moving around are doing "essential" things. It was more like "if you stay home, better go to work" kind of deal. The government is extremely slow in taking decisions and they don't see clearly what is happening in other countries. Bad decisions destroy the economy, not bad viruses. Too much democracy and rights creates serious issues. See what is happening in India? Whoever dares to walk on the street gets beaten badly by police or by community members. Let him walk again outside, if he can still walk. Extreme situations require extreme measures. What was Border Security doing in last 2 months? Protecting us from importing undeclared snacks from China?

This situation is a good life lesson for people who spend 95% of their income on fancy cars, phones for $2000, houses they can't actually afford and products/services they don't really need. A recent major bank study shows 40% of households end up with less than $200 between income and expenses per month, 70% of households can't cover their bills in case one of the working members loses the job, 90% of the bank accounts contain less than $10K. Those people committed financial suicide long before the coronavirus. Let them suffer now and think twice next time the new iPhone with 7 cameras becomes available. Life on credit has consequences, it's time to realize the simple fact. I strongly disagree government to offer help to people who made bad financial decisions for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!