What's new

Outdoor Ubiquiti Offering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigDCA

Occasional Visitor
I've posted some other threads about my inside WiFi network and now it's time to finally do my backyard project. I had the builder run a CAT6 line to the outside of the house, so that is ready to go. I'll be picking up a Gen2CloudKey soon to run my indoor Unifi AP AC Pro and also an AC AP HD (purchasing the HD with the CloudKey in the next few days. So, I'm looking for an outdoor Unifi option. Pictures attached:

1. BackyardWifi.gif - Layout of the backyard with a red box where the AP will go
  2. BackyardCat5Small.jpg - Shot of the ethernet cable, right above the Unifi G3 camera
  3. BackyardAerialViewSmall.jpg - Shot from the upstairs window seen in #2
I'd like something where I can direct all or most of the radiation pattern out into the backyard, if possible, and not back into the house. Also, as you can see I have stucco, so it isn't a great mounting surface and ideas for mounting would be appreciated. I want to provide 2.4 and 5ghz networks. The spa is a place where I definitely want to make sure I have good coverage.

My cursory exploration on the UI website shows the likely candidates are the AC Pro or AC HD, though the FlexHD seems to be outdoor capable (one Amazon review said it failed after 10 days outside, though). Should I be looking at one of those?

Attachments

• BackyardWiFi.gif
    BackyardWiFi.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 181
  • BackyardCat5Small.jpg
    BackyardCat5Small.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 217
  • BackyardAerialViewSmall.jpg
    BackyardAerialViewSmall.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 411
The FlexHD is likely the wrong tool for the job. It's outdoor capable only so far as it will sit under an awning, as opposed to clamped to a pole out in the open elements.

You basically have three options:
  • UAP-AC-M-US ($99) - Lower-amplitude unit that would need to be mounted on a high point more in the middle of the yard.
  • UAP-AC-M-PRO-US ($199) - It will omni-direct but better optimize towards directional. Should cover the entire area of your backyard with ease.
  • UWB-XG-US ($1499) - If you really want to get nuts, this is it. Probably overkill, but I figured I'd include it just for completeness' sake.
So there you have it. I think it's most likely the UAP-AC-M-PRO that you want.

The FlexHD is likely the wrong tool for the job. It's outdoor capable only so far as it will sit under an awning, as opposed to clamped to a pole out in the open elements.

You basically have three options:
  • UAP-AC-M-US ($99) - Lower-amplitude unit that would need to be mounted on a high point more in the middle of the yard.
  • UAP-AC-M-PRO-US ($199) - It will omni-direct but better optimize towards directional. Should cover the entire area of your backyard with ease.
  • UWB-XG-US ($1499) - If you really want to get nuts, this is it. Probably overkill, but I figured I'd include it just for completeness' sake.
So there you have it. I think it's most likely the UAP-AC-M-PRO that you want.
Trip, thanks for the thoughtful response. I have a couple of questions. First, is there a reason the UAP‑AC‑HD didn't make your list? Second, did you recommend the two mesh options because they are really more geared towards outdoor installations?

Trying to bridge through exterior walls typically results in less than stellar throughput and usually plagued disconnect issues. If you want stable wireless outdoors, install outdoor fiber, or, grounded shielded outdoor Ethernet cable. Don't forget to add: https://www.ui.com/accessories/ethernet-surge-protector/

Ubiquiti considers the FlexHD an indoor/outdoor AP, and has been deployed in exposed environments. Other than the AP's mentioned above, the only other AP that Unifi has, that is close to outdoor rated, is the UAP-AC-Pro. It can be used outdoors, but protected from the elements - under eve, etc. Don't use indoor rated AP's outdoors.

Trying to bridge through exterior walls typically results in less than stellar throughput and usually plagued disconnect issues. If you want stable wireless outdoors, install outdoor fiber, or, grounded shielded outdoor Ethernet cable. Don't forget to add: https://www.ui.com/accessories/ethernet-surge-protector/

Ubiquiti considers the FlexHD an indoor/outdoor AP, and has been deployed in exposed environments. Other than the AP's mentioned above, the only other AP that Unifi has, that is close to outdoor rated, is the UAP-AC-Pro. It can be used outdoors, but protected from the elements - under eve, etc. Don't use indoor rated AP's outdoors.
I'm not bridging through exterior walls, at least not wirelessly. I have a CAT6 cable to hook the AP to cover the backyard. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first paragraph, though. The location is about 12 feet or more from the eve, so it looks like the AC-Pro is definitely out.

is there a reason the UAP‑AC‑HD didn't make your list?
Yes; like the FlexHD, it's "indoor/outdoor" rated, and is not purpose-built for direct exposure. Good product; it's just the wrong tool for the job.
Second, did you recommend the two mesh options because they are really more geared towards outdoor installations?
Yes. They're both rated and purpose-built to be directly exposed to the elements.

TL;DR - I was considering recommending the UMA-D attached to the UAP-AC-M-US, but both broadcast cones are likely too tight, even 2.4Ghz at 90 degrees (let alone 5Ghz at 45). Given the options, as I said, I think the UAP-AC-M-PRO is your play here.

Yes; like the FlexHD, it's "indoor/outdoor" rated, and is not purpose-built for direct exposure. Good product; it's just the wrong tool for the job.
Yes. They're both rated and purpose-built to be directly exposed to the elements.

TL;DR - I was considering recommending the UMA-D attached to the UAP-AC-M-US, but both broadcast cones are likely too tight, even 2.4Ghz at 90 degrees (let alone 5Ghz at 45). Given the options, as I said, I think the UAP-AC-M-PRO is your play here.
Got it! Going back to your previous post, can you clarify what you meant by this part - "It will omni-direct but better optimize towards directional."

Sure, the antennas on the UAP-AC-M are just fixed external wire (inside hard antennas). Not much that unit can do to enhance beam-forming or directionality as a result. The UAP-AC-M-PRO, on the other hand, has an internal array (sheetmetal origami), which should be able to concentrate the broadcast a bit better towards a single side of the AP (the backyard), despite not having a directional array to begin with. Hope that makes enough sense.

Sure, the antennas on the UAP-AC-M are just fixed external wire (inside hard antennas). Not much that unit can do to enhance beam-forming or directionality as a result. The UAP-AC-M-PRO, on the other hand, has an internal array (sheetmetal origami), which should be able to concentrate the broadcast a bit better towards a single side of the AP (the backyard), despite not having a directional array to begin with. Hope that makes enough sense.
Yes, that makes sense. Is there a setting in the software that tells it to broadcast in a specific direction versus omnidirectional?

Not that I'm aware of, as that type of RF control is more fixed by the hardware design and wifi chipset firmware, but rest assured the -M-PRO is fairly well optimized enough as it is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!