What's new

Overlapping VLANs router advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

baboonia

New Around Here
Looking for an Ethernet router to share an internet connection with roommates, but want each port isolated from the others.

Port 1 will connect to ISP

Port 2 to user 1
Port 3 to user 2
port 4 to user 3 etc

I want all users to see internet, but not to see each other so each user thinks they are the only computer on their network and connected the internet. I think this feature is called overlapping VLANs.

Can anyone suggest a router that can handle this under $200
8 ports total would be nice.

Consider Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE

I bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE. With 5 gigabit-speed Ethernet ports and POE for cameras and wi-fi access points, it's an incredible value for $175. It's based on the open source Vyatta software.

Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 EdgeRouter POE $175
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E77N3WE/?tag=snbforums-20

Start with the 5-port router, and re-purpose an old wireless router if you have a roommate who wants to run Ethernet to up to three devices on his VLAN. Also, that would create a wireless access point for that VLAN.

This SNB article has lots of helpful tips. It describes the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite with 3 ports, but the config is basically the same on the 5-port model.

How To Configure Your Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...ow-to-configure-your-ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite

Make sure you check out the ubnt_erl_2lan_w_dhcp.tar.gz sample configuration in that article. "This configuration supports two subnets on the LAN side, with different IP ranges for each. Both subnets have internet connection, but do not allow connection between them." With the 5-port model, you can add two more subnets, for 1 ISP connection + 4 roommates.

P.S. If you're open to a truly DIY approach, you can repurpose an old PC and run pfSense--or build your own. I went with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter because I wanted an off-the shelf solution, and the least expensive devices with pfSense pre-installed were in the $400-$500 range.

-John

Thanks jtherkel ! I ordered the router you recommended from Amazon. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to configure it.