What's new

spdMerlin packet loss is up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From where do younget the paket loss graphics?
Yes, I don't see how he does it, but Jack stays busy writing some nice stuff. Not only functional, but purty too! This graph is from spdMerlin.
I have had almost no packet loss since following John Fitzgerald's recommendation for setting my MTU's yesterday.
I don't know where it came from all of a sudden, but it's sure smooth now. My latency looks up a little, but only because the packet loss and jitter are so low.
Thanks folks!
Screenshot_2020-12-13 spdMerlin.png

Last edited:
Are you adjusting your mtu setting in asus wan mtu ?
It's also critical to make your QoS (if you're running that) use that same MTU...specify it in settings rather than assuming it knows.

It's also critical to make your QoS (if you're running that) use that same MTU...specify it in settings rather than assuming it knows.
I am using flexqos - where would I set mtu overhead in qos settings?

Also, you set your mtu outside of qos in the wan setting tab, right?

currently I have set my mtu in wan settings to 1500 but the Xbox is showing 1370

currently I have set my mtu in wan settings to 1500 but the Xbox is showing 1370

Yes, I set mine under the "Special requirements from ISP" near the bottom of the WAN tab. Mine is set to 1400 as per the test results.
I can't advise on the Xbox though.

The xbox MTU is irrelevant as far as your WAN connection goes (as long as it's smaller, which seems to be the case)
I'm not sure FlexQoS has the option to adjust the MTU, but @dave14305 would know if he's built a place or tested/knows how it works with the WAN setting in Merlin
follow the directions in the link in your post - what you want to do is set your router (and the QoS if necessary - I use cake and it got a lot better for me when I set mine rather than let it "assume" or autodetect) to follow the packet size your ISP is expecting at the gateway/modem for their network

I'm not sure FlexQoS has the option to adjust the MTU, but @dave14305 would know if he's built a place or tested/knows how it works with the WAN setting in Merlin
I only use MTU if the calculated quantum would be below the current MTU of the WAN interface. We don't set the MTU in QoS.

I just came across this thread, looking for an explanation for spiking package loss reported by spdMerlin for my RT-AC88U.
A couple of weeks ago (around the time I upgraded Merlin to 386.4) I started seeing spikes to 100% package loss and for the last few days I get solid 100% package loss stats at every test:

I haven't tried changing MTU values yet, since broadband quality *seems* perfectly fine, could this be a reporting error?
spdMerlin is on v4.4.4

30days:
9611FA7E-D383-41B2-B446-0FABBF087E41.jpeg

7days:
30645F8B-A1D6-43AA-9CFA-FFD071D10764.jpeg

24hrs:
FD67B9E5-F3B7-4FE0-B225-3BA0AA4BAEBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @larz.

There are no attachments in your post (visible).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!