What's new

Packet State for 2022

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Happy New Year

Live Long & Prosper!!

Thanks for all the firmwares/work/support
Hope you have power in your neck of the woods in QC

Cheers

... we've also seen a very small man decide to have visions of grandeur by invading his neighbour, having a destabilizing effect on the rest of the planet (on top of the numerous losses of lives for which he is directly responsible).
Hmmmm,,, some of us see it a lot differently.

Thank you Eric for your work, been using your firmware since 2014. All the best for 2023.

Thank you for your support., EVERONE should at least make a yearly contribution through PayPal to Eric to offset some of his time spent on this project. We all benefit.

Also ASUS if you read these forums you should also compensate Eric for his hard work to make your products better.

Have a Healthy and Happy New Year!

CC

Thank you for all your hard work @RMerlin,

Thanks also to the members and contributors of this forum. Even though I spend the majority off my time as a lurker, I continue to benefit from the support and knowledge of this community.

Happy New Year everyone.

Thank you for everything Merlin! You continue to invest time with a hobby that we all benefit from. May the year 2023 be even better than expected!

Hmmmm,,, some of us see it a lot differently.
Good luck to you sir on not being mobilized lmao

@RMerlin you do a fantastic job and as several of my routers have fallen prey to EoL, I've not yet jumped to AX and appreciate your dedication to the AC class that is so widely deployed currently

Have safe and happy Holiday everyone, and let's hope for a brighter 2020 2021 2022 2023!
Thanks for the votes, but mostly I appreciate the effort and dedication that allows us to enjoy an alternative firmware. I also emphasize the patience and diplomacy towards the most demanding users.
For everything, thank you and a Great New Year 2023 with much Health and Peace!

One of the big items in 2022 in AsusWRT land was IPv6 support... and perhaps with other vendors as well, but most of the noise was in the AsusWRT sub-forums...

Here in the US - two of the big three wireless operators deployed 5G-Fixed Wireless Access - and these are IPv6 native/IPv6 first, with CGNAT like mechanisms for IPv4 fallback.

It's cool - having another option on the WAN/Broadband access front - for me it was gigabit cable or 100Mbit DSL - having another option is a _good_ thing to have with T-Mobile entering into a market where I had previously two choices - ATT-DSL or CoxHSI-Cable...

It's a big deal, as this was a service that grew fairly fast over the year, and as noted, IPv6 came to the forefront as a service that needed to be handled - not just on the WAN side, but also on the LAN side, with clients either doing link-local access, or having to deal with basically a very large proxy connection on IPv4.

I would encourage more usage/testing/development down the IPv6 path - it's happening now, so best get used to it...

dual stack is the future...

dual stack is the future...

matrix-frackfinger (1).gif

:D

all kidding aside - I suspect IPv6 is going to be a bigger concern/benefit in 2023...

A little secret from The Matrix - Neo gave you a finger because this thread is about something else...

One of the big items in 2022 in AsusWRT land was IPv6 support... and perhaps with other vendors as well, but most of the noise was in the AsusWRT sub-forums...
Asus didn't change much in 2022 regarding IPv6. I believe they added IPv6 support to OpenVPN in 2022 (if it wasn't already there in 2021), and added MAP-E support, and that was about it.

Hopefully 2023 will finally see the introduction of a WiFi 7 (802.11be) router from Asus. I can't wait too see if the promised latency and connection improvements hold true in real world environments. I personally won't upgrade until sometime in 2024 and for sure not before the standard is finalized and there is a Merlin firmware available

A happy 2023 and cheers to everyone.

Hopefully 2023 will finally see the introduction of a WiFi 7 (802.11be) router from Asus.

It's almost ready... ;)

Hopefully 2023 will finally see the introduction of a WiFi 7 (802.11be) router from Asus.
It should, as other manufacturers already announced Wifi 7 products for 2023. Don't expect much however, as Wifi 7 clients will take longer to come to market, and I suspect that a lot of users won't see any real difference from Wifi 6.

Thank you for all your hard work @RMerlin!

I can't believe they don't pay you as a consultant. I wouldn't have kept buying their products if I never found your firmware. If Merlin is ever discontinued I'd switch to another manufacturer.