What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could you please elaborate more on what connections exactly have you tried (specifically have you tried TCP/IP bi-directional RAW. Was the printer working in this mode?). Was the printer's behavior the same in all cases?

With stock firmware (3.0.0.4_206) I'm able to print with RAW (bidirectional) as well as with LPR mode without flaws.

When changing to Padavan 1.1.2.3-010 printing in RAW mode produces an error sheet after 3 suxessfully printed pages, enabling or disabling bidirectional support with RAW mode doesn't make any difference in output.

Printing in LPR mode doesn't work at all and ends with an error message in the printer spooler after 512KB (see Cap-02.png in attached ZIP-file). Remarkable: printing in LPR mode doesn't produce an entry in syslog...

In both modes it doesn't matter at all wether USB-over-ethernet port is enabled or disabled - the result is the same...

Could you please also attach the full log of the latest firmware with the unsuccessful printing attempt (not an extract of it)? It will also help to troubleshoot that case.

see attached zip-file...

Attachments

• Syslog.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Fine - thanks for your very quick response and for your efforts...

I was generating bug report right now and posting your log to pastebin and suddenly it has occured to me - you're saying that you've tried LPR and RAW. And looking at the log I see that you've tried to enable and disable USB-over-Ethernet.

But did you tried to install USB-over-Ethernet drivers on the host pc and reinstalling printer as ASUS recommends it? (a special utility should be used in the process as well as special vhub drivers installed too).

... did you tried to install USB-over-Ethernet drivers on the host pc and reinstalling printer as ASUS recommends it? (a special utility should be used in the process as well as special vhub drivers installed too).

I reinstalled the printer as you recommended in an earlier posting but didn't install the special utility on host PC, as the link on Asus WebGUI (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/Printer.zip) leads into nirwana and gives a "file not found" error message...

But please be be aware of the fact that with Asus firmware the same printer works without any flaw... (in RAW mode as well as in LPR mode) - I guess that proves that the drivers should be present and installed, isn't it?

Yeah, that's what we've noticed in your log. Even when you're enabling USB-over-Ethernet, you're still not using it. And no, that doesn't prove that drivers are installed. Those are the drivers for the virual USB port, not your printer. When you're using TCP/IP printing, you're using standard protocols.

There's nothing extraordinary in the fact that on Pdavan's firmware the printer doesn't work with TCP/IP printing and on stock 3.x.x.x firmware it does. As I mentioned earlier, there are too many differences between those two versions.

Now to the official developer's answer:
"There's not enough information to fix that issue with that particular printer model. And, although there were some reports of non working TCP/IP printing, there were also people, who reported that TCP/IP printing is working perfectly. Since printing is not in priority for my project, I don't have enough time to work out every specific case. I myself have a printer which in turn doesn't support TCP/IP printing at all. At the same time it works with USB-over-Ethernet perfectly. You should try to set up usb-over-ethernet properly. From this log I can clearly see that, although the USB-over-Ethernet was enabled and disabled, it hasn't been used."

And that's what we're going to do.
1. First remove the printer from the system.
2. Next go to the printer settings page on the router and disable RAW and LPR ports. Enable the USB-over-Ethernet port.
3. Download this archive: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N56U/Printer_RT_N56U_1027.zip (go to the Asus' RT-N56 support page and look for it there in case the direct link will die)
4. Disconnect the printer from the router.
4. Unpack the archive and launch Printer.exe
5. Follow the instructions on the screen
6. In the end you should have a device, which is on a virtual USB port. It will act as if it was connected to your PC directly.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your support, Zoomer! I'll give it another try tomorrow evening when I have enough time to re-flash the Padavan fw again... Hope it will work then - I really like the Padavan fw but need a working printer too...

No problems. Hope it'll help you!

... on 2 of 3 PCs... :confused:

On a PC running with Win XP Pro and another one with Win7 Home Premium the installation of the Asus utility wasn't a problem at all, and from those PCs I was able to print larger printing volumes without flaws via the USB-over-Ethernet port. On a third PC with Win 7 Home Premium I wasn't able to install the Asus utility. The installing procedure stopped with the error message "To continue installation, you have to reboot your PC to complete the uninstall process first" (see screenshot).

Any suggestion what is running false here? Perhaps it is due to the fact that another printer (Epson Stylus Office BX625FWD) is connected to this PC as a local printer via USB?

Would be glad if you could give me another hint...

Attachments

• Cap-120905-03.png
    Cap-120905-03.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
To me it looks like there's a stuck uninstallation process in that system. Some software didn't finish the cleaning after itself and now the ASUS installation utility thinks that there are changes pending to the system after reboot. So the reboot doesn't solve the problem? You might try running registry cleaners or maybe there are 'how-to' guides which will help you with this.

I can only say that such a message is not unique to this installation utility. Any other software which will need to modify the same files, could generate the same error. And I don't think that local printer has something to do with that issue. But of course all this is on a 'guess' basis :)

Tx for your suggestions - but none of them was successfull, it wasn't possible for me to get rid of that error...

Seems that I will have to go on without using the Padavan firmware :(

Just a quick question. The Custom firmware has worked great with all my devices except my Verizon Femtocell(The official ASUS firmware had the same issue). From what I've read it seems that the Asus routers tend to have an issue with the Verizon Femtocell. Even putting them on a DMZ doesn't help. So I was curious if someone knew anything about this and if there was some setting in the custom firmware to allow it to work?

It's not a big deal for me though since I don't strictly rely on my cell phone anymore, but I was curious if there was something in this firmware that solved the issue.

On another note, I decided that I'm going to return my EA-N66 AP and I have a second RT-N56U on the way that I will use as an AP instead. And that is strictly because of this custom firmware. It is so much better than using the official Asus firmware.(Plus if I ever have an issue with my primary RT-N56U, the second one can easily replace it)

Thanks for the work on it.

Just a quick question. The Custom firmware has worked great with all my devices except my Verizon Femtocell(The official ASUS firmware had the same issue). From what I've read it seems that the Asus routers tend to have an issue with the Verizon Femtocell. Even putting them on a DMZ doesn't help. So I was curious if someone knew anything about this and if there was some setting in the custom firmware to allow it to work?

Yes, I had the same problem with my Verizon Network Extender (femtocell) with my rt-n66u, although my rt-n56u has worked fine with it so far. After I flashed the firmware in the rt-n66u the Network Extender wouldn't come up. So I tried port forwarding, dmz, and so on, nothing worked until I found that I needed to clear the nvram in the router after flashing it (and before re-entering my settings, of course *smile*). Since then, the rt-n66u has been 100% with the Network Expander.

To do this, just enable telnet on the router. Use a "putty" terminal window to telent into the router, and log into the router's IP address (for me that's 192.168.1.1, the default) as "admin" user and whatever your "admin" user password is. Then issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

It should show that it has cleared the nvram, and then the router will either reboot, or you'll have to manually reboot it. Then you can manually re-enter your settings (don't use a config file with your former settings).

That should do it for you.

............................ (don't use a config file with your former settings).

Ouch!! I think that rules it out for me. There are too many settings for me to re-enter by hand without taking a long time to do it.

Although guess I can give it a quick try just to see if the Femtocell works. Then I can just load the config file back in. Actually, the perfect time for me to try this will be when my second RT-N56U arrives. Then I can have one connected to my ONT that has the cleared nvram, and I can run the other one off of that temporarily with all my settings.

AT least that will show me for sure if it works. And it would allow me the time to gradually enter the info into the router over several days. Then when I'm finished I can setup the second Rt-N56U as an Access Point. I'll just have to use everything with 2.4Ghz during that time period.

If you have a screen recorder program, its easy to just run it, and click on everytab of the gui and let it record all the information, then update your firmware and play the recorded file and enter in all your information that your screen recorder captured....Makes it pretty easy....Just a suggestion, hope it helps...

To do this, just enable telnet on the router. Use a "putty" terminal window to telent into the router, and log into the router's IP address (for me that's 192.168.1.1, the default) as "admin" user and whatever your "admin" user password is. Then issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

It should show that it has cleared the nvram, and then the router will either reboot, or you'll have to manually reboot it. Then you can manually re-enter your settings (don't use a config file with your former settings).

That should do it for you.

It is not mandatory to use putty in order to clear NVRAM. 'Restore to factory defaults' actually does absolutely the same thing.

Aaronwt, if you want to check whether this device will work with NVRAM cleared (in other words to check whether any of your settings are preventing the femtocell from working properly) then you should save your current RT-n56 settings into CFG file, do 'restore defaults', and enter the most important settings only (e.g. WAN connection settings) and try it. When you want to return to your previous setup, just restore your settings from the saved CFG file.

Anyways putting a device into DMZ mode is never a good solution. It is better to study the manual, check google and all that stuff to find out what ports the device/software in question needs to be opened. Then you should setup the router's firewall accordingly.

Also, what's the problem exactly with that Femtocell? As I understand from the specifications, it's a simple network extender, am I right? So what's not working? No access to the Internet for the hosts which are being served by this extender? Or the N56U doesn't see it?

Upd: Ok, got some info on it. It's kind of GSM repeater which extends GSM network coverage using Internet connection for that purpose, is that so? If that's so, then I don't quite understand what does it have GPS for? And if that's a simple Wi-Fi enabled device, how could it not work? It doesn't see Internet connection? Is it able to connect to the RT-N56's Wi-Fi network at all? Or should it be connected using ethernet? Does it receive an IP address? Does it have any logs available? Or the only way to check its status is to look at those 4 LEDs mentioned on the Verizon's page?

TBH never seen or heard about such devices. I'm still living in the dark ages :p

Upd2:
There's some info on its setup. Though specific devices might require specific settings I suppose. This should probably be covered in the manual.
http://www.thinksmallcell.com/Opini...erience-with-the-vodafone-access-gateway.html
Look day 18.

Last edited:
Yes, the "Network Extender" gets an IP address, and yes it needs GPS. I use an ethernet bridge to supply wired ethernet to it so that I can have it close to the middle of my house. Can't really run a cable there *smile*. There are no "user accessible" logs on the thing that I've found. It is pretty picky about having nvram cleared when firmware is changed, I don't know specifically why...the Verizon tech support guys tell me that it uses a VPN, which makes sense if you think about it. It is kind of a peculiar piece of hardware but works well here for what I need. Kind of ironic that Verizon charges us for service, and on top of that I had to buy a piece of cell infrastructure to get that service...not happy about that, but it works.

What doesn't work when nvram hasn't been cleared (sometimes) after flashing new firmware is that the device doesn't fully come up, that's really all the user can tell. This is usually shown by a flashing red "SYSTEM" light, and the fact that my cell signal strength stays low *smile*. It takes some time to get all it's ducks in a row, getting GPS takes the longest, but we have lots of GPS here so that's not a problem.

Also, if you're flashing new firmware on a router, I've personally learned not to enter my settings via a .cfg file from a previous firmware version. Had some bad results from doing that, so I don't want to waste time with it. On the other hand, the .cfg files are really useful once you have your settings all working for a particular firmware version, and then have a reason to reset your router. Saves a lot of time then.

Last edited:
Using my Dlink DGL4500 router I never had any issues with the Verizon Femtocell(Extender). And with the RT-N56U router this was the only device out of 60+ I have on my network that had an issue with the custom firmware.(The official firmware had other issues which was initially why I switched to the custom firmware. And after using it I can't see ever going back to the Asus firmware)

The first thing I did was to open the ports that Verizon recommended for the Femtocell. When that didn't work I tried a DMZ. I had no luck with either. It wouldn't connect to Verizon. Red Lights stayed blinking. Since I don't rely on my cellphone anymore at home it wasn't a priority( I got a land line again when I renewed for two years on FiOS earlier this year. Since adding the phone line and having fours services cost me less than when I had three services, it was a no brainer to get the landline again)

So when my second RT-N56U router arrives I'll try it out again after clearing the NVRAM. I use the windows Snip Tool to take screen shots. This is what I did to record the settings and rules on my DGL4500 router when I first setup my RT-N56U.

Last edited:
Corruptted disks.

One thing that has always bothered me, is that my USB drives get corrupted. Either NTFS or FAT (maybe ext, but I don't use ext very much). So I'm always having to remove the drive from the router, and have to run a check disk.

What I have noticed, is it's consistently caused by minidlna. Specifically the album art cache files minidla creates in the .dms directory. Which in turn sometimes messes up minidla when serving files.

So what I end up doing is telenting into the router, navigate to the AiDisk_** directory, running a "rm .dms -r" (which errors out 100% of the time), removing the drive from the router, connecting it to my local computer, running a chkdsk on the drive which deletes orphan file record segments. Then I can finally delete the .dms directory. Take the drive back to the router, and let minidlna do it's thing. Which in turn works great, till I add new files. Then things get all messed up again.

If I connect a drive, but DON'T turn on minidlna, I can easily manipulate files without an issue. Everything works fine, no corruption.

Weird :confused:

I also have issues with padavans and minidlna....
It's mainly a problem with my PS3. (this problem is listed in the "issues", but never a responce to the problem, like you stated)
(My PS3 has static ip and all ports forwarded, hardwired.)
When I run stock firmware or asuswrt, my drive shows up everytime on PS3 and plays movies fine without any type of errors.
But whenever I run padavans newer versions, I get constant dlna errors that always pop up, go away, pop up etc...sometimes it won't even show me the drive.
But I've found that if I let the PS3 sit for about 10 minutes, then the minidlna will play movies like it should. But if I turn the PS3 off and back on....I get the errors constantly again or the drive won't appear even if I search for devices.
There is an older version of padavans (RT-N56U_1.0.1.8e-p2) that runs fine and I don't get errors....Maybe try that version just to see if it fixes your problem...(be a good test, if nothing else)
If this was fixed, I would use padavans, but for now, I run asuswrt since it seems the best for consistancy.