What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Careful, I just found out with my testing that the new firmware (3.0.3.6-061) broke Transmission if you use it on an NTFS drive :(

As for what is Transmission is: It's a BitTorrent client that runs on the router and puts what you are downloading on the attached USB drive.

- Restricted Transmission and Aria2 target partitions to EXT2/EXT3/EXT4/XFS only.

Its not 'broken' its a feature I assume for performance reasons.

yes it is, transmission will fail to work properly on ntfs drive. had the problem before, should have listened to the forumer here. now padavan restrict it before anyone else lose their precious datas. ='(

Its not 'broken' its a feature I assume for performance reasons.

Aaaa crap!!!!!! I didn't see that in the change log.

Dang it, I had no issues with Transmission running on my NTFS drives. Now the DLNA data directory (.dms) on a NTFS drive.... that's a cluster F!@#$ waiting to happen. I have lost data on NTFS drives because of it (actually the entire drive becomes corrupted and a CHKDSK can't fix it).

I guess I have to go back to using uTorrent on my laptop then.

Hate to say it, but this is the first time I'm disappointed with Pavadan. :mad:

Last edited:
Aaaa crap!!!!!! I didn't see that in the change log.

Dang it, I had no issues with Transmission running on my NTFS drives. Now the DLNA data directory (.dms) on a NTFS drive.... that's a cluster F!@#$ waiting to happen. I have lost data on NTFS drives because of it (actually the entire drive becomes corrupted and a CHKDSK can't fix it).

I guess I have to go back to using uTorrent on my laptop then.

Hate to say it, but this is the first time I'm disappointed with Pavadan. :mad:

Why not just format as EXT3/4 which I believe gives better read/write speeds anyway. Also the official reason from Andy seems to be to prevent data loss;

On ixbt forum all painted in detail. NTFS driver is not native and causes problems when recording from a few threads.

Why not just format as EXT3/4 which I believe gives better read/write speeds anyway. Also the official reason from Andy seems to be to prevent data loss;
As I've said before, because I still like to take the drive off the router, plug it into my laptop/desktop/tablet/TV* for reading/writing data.

Most of the EXTx drivers I've tried for Windows are crap or really a pain to use.

The reason the miniDLNA corrupts NTFS is that it uses non-compatible character set for file/directory names.

* Yep, even my Samsung flat panel smart TV can read FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS, but not EXTx, partitions.

Last edited:
As I've said before, because I still like to take the drive off the router, plug it into my laptop/desktop/tablet/TV* for reading/writing data.

Most of the EXTx drivers I've tried for Windows are crap or really a pain to use.

The reason the miniDLNA corrupts NTFS is that it uses non-compatible character set for file/directory names.

* Yep, even my Samsung flat panel smart TV can read FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS, but not EXTx, partitions.

I'm not to sure about your TV or your setup, but Samba should be able to do most read/writing required from inside windows if that helps at all.

http://puu.sh/38aLP.png

And for your tablet depending on the OS the AiCloud app although not fully supported will also allow you to transfer videos and whatnot wirelessly at decent speeds and cache them locally.

Last edited:
I'm not to sure about your TV or your setup, but Samba should be able to do most read/writing required from inside windows if that helps at all.

http://puu.sh/38aLP.png

Yes, I use Samba extensively with the router and my USB drives. But there are times when it is quicker to unmount the drive from the router and just plug it into my devices for doing large copies (either large file sizes, or just a large amount of files). Formatting the drive to ext just isn't an option for me, or others.

My point about my TV is that it is capable of reading NTFS formatted drives via it's built-in USB ports. Which comes in handy when friends come over with their movies/pictures on their USB drives. Just plug it into the TV's USB and watch. But the router has "issues". :confused: And yes, the TV is using a Linux variant for it's internal operating system (not sure exactly which one).

So, has anyone have any suggestions for forcing Transmission back on a NTFS drive?

I'm thinking of purchasing the N56U, just wondering:

1. How is Padavan's firmware vs the original one, in terms of WAN/LAN speed and the wireless speed/signal, as well as the wireless stability?
  2. Does Padavan's have the function of reserve certain bandwidth for certain client, something like bandwidth limiter in Tomato?
  3. Does it have the function of setting the router as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge? i.e. receive the wireless signal from the main router then provide Internet access to PCs connected via wire to its LAN port.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just got this router a few days ago and decided to give Padavan's firmware a go because I wanted the ability to use guest networks. Everything is running fantastic and it actually renders pages a tad bit faster for me than the stock firmware! The only problem I have is the lack of QOS in the firmware.

Are there any other features in this firmware that I can use that help manage bandwidth?

I just got this router a few days ago and decided to give Padavan's firmware a go because I wanted the ability to use guest networks. Everything is running fantastic and it actually renders pages a tad bit faster for me than the stock firmware! The only problem I have is the lack of QOS in the firmware.

Are there any other features in this firmware that I can use that help manage bandwidth?

I believe recently QOS modules were added to the firmware. You will have to compile the firmware yourself and enable them in the configuration.

I believe recently QOS modules were added to the firmware. You will have to compile the firmware yourself and enable them in the configuration.

Are there any guides on how to do this? Is the QOS being added in officially at a later date, or it being left out for good?

Also, I heard that the hardware NAT won't work when QOS is enabled, is this true in Padavan's firmware?

Are there any guides on how to do this? Is the QOS being added in officially at a later date, or it being left out for good?

Also, I heard that the hardware NAT won't work when QOS is enabled, is this true in Padavan's firmware?

I am not sure how the modules work as I haven't needed to use them myself, but support for IMQ and IFB were added recently. I'm sure a quick google search could help with useage.

https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=844&can=1&sort=-status%20-id&start=300

Does anyone know how to access the primary system firewall.sh from ssh command line? I can only find the firewall.sh that gets created by the OpenVPN optware package I installed. In fact, the only files i see seem to be able to access are the ones on the flash drive I plugged in (with optware/openVPN).

Thanks in advance,
MKANET

Hi. I just enabled Transmission but when I`m trying to access Web control I get this: "This page can't be displayed". What can be the problem? Thank you.

You should create a folder named 'transmission'. Only on an ext formatted drive. Ntfs,fat32 and hfs wont work.

Ty you are right. Now I have ext4 partition but I have to make a live usb with ubuntu to create something in that partition. With windows 8 I cant do nothing...

Ty you are right. Now I have ext4 partition but I have to make a live usb with ubuntu to create something in that partition. With windows 8 I cant do nothing...

Why not just SSH/Telnet into the router and make the directory that way? Everything from formatting the drive to editing files can be done via the router its-self.

Code:
mkdir /opt/transmission

Yup. U cant do anything with w8. At least not reliably. Good luck. =)

I find this post alittle uneducated, I run windows 8 as my primary OS and have no problem working on this router running an EXT4 formatted HDD.

he can also create a folder via ftp and smb. i was referring to make w8 work with read/write on ext4. can u read and write the ext4 on w8 reliably? i need to know that please MASTER

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!