What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

he can also create a folder via ftp and smb. i was referring to make w8 work with read/write on ext4. can u read and write the ext4 on w8 reliably? i need to know that please MASTER

http://bit.ly/12FXWkk

There you go master ;)

shikami what is your router setting for play game (as BF3)

Actually, the most important attribute(s) for good gameplay is your system, especially the NIC used. I always use Intel. The CT and the i210-T1 are very good adapters, and they are what I have used and what I am using now. The HW_NAT is offloading everything (TCP/UDP, LAN/Wi-Fi).

i installed the -064 firmware on my RT-N56U and Im having problems with my iPhone 4s and Ipad3 losing their wifi connection when they are asleep. Anyone else having similar problems? I tried reinstalling a few times and the problem doesnt go away unless I revert back to -061.

I installed -064 as well, and found the 5GHz. signal strength pretty miserable again. Doesn't even make it consistently out to my living room. Not good enough.

So it goes.

TOR anonymous browsing support

Maybe this is a dumb request or already in progress or someone else already asked about this but I still have to ask... :rolleyes: TOR anonymous hidden browsing support! Is it on the "to do list" ? Or can I download it seperately?!

My one and only favourite firmware (for non Asus routers) is Openwrt with Gargoyle since it uses TOR and its so easy to setup and use! Since wrt isnt supported on Asus RT-N56U I need to have two routers connected and make my tp-link 4300 the primary rght now.... arghh that cant be good... :cool:

Great firmware and the only one for ASUS RT-N56U.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers
smyr

Maybe this is a dumb request or already in progress or someone else already asked about this but I still have to ask... :rolleyes: TOR anonymous hidden browsing support! Is it on the "to do list" ? Or can I download it seperately?!

My one and only favourite firmware (for non Asus routers) is Openwrt with Gargoyle since it uses TOR and its so easy to setup and use! Since wrt isnt supported on Asus RT-N56U I need to have two routers connected and make my tp-link 4300 the primary rght now.... arghh that cant be good... :cool:

Great firmware and the only one for ASUS RT-N56U.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers
smyr

Your best bet would be to make a feature request here. But it really comes down to weather he thinks it will be a worthwhile feature and worth the effort of coding/maintaining so if its important to you make a good case for it.

just from the top of my head right now, u could email him personally and offer a generous amount of donation for the project and request for the feature. just a suggestion

I installed -064 as well, and found the 5GHz. signal strength pretty miserable again. Doesn't even make it consistently out to my living room. Not good enough.

5GHz does not have the capability to equal 2.4's signal strength. I know you know that, so I am assuming that it [signal] has become worse over time than what it used to be. Have you tried changing the Multicast setting to a lesser value to increase distance?

i installed the -064 firmware on my RT-N56U and Im having problems with my iPhone 4s and Ipad3 losing their wifi connection when they are asleep. Anyone else having similar problems? I tried reinstalling a few times and the problem doesnt go away unless I revert back to -061.

I have not experienced anything yet with my iPad2 and Galaxy S3. I have them on 5Ghz.

5GHz does not have the capability to equal 2.4's signal strength. I know you know that, so I am assuming that it [signal] has become worse over time than what it used to be. Have you tried changing the Multicast setting to a lesser value to increase distance?

Yes, I have...that made a small difference, but not enough. The signal would still drop off of the bottom of my android Network Analyzer regularly in my living room. Not usable for anything. Worked okay close to the router, though.

064 issues

Just upgraded to 064 firmware also and it seems that port forwarding is not working anymore, all my settings are still there, but I just can't connect anymore using VNC like I use to do with 061. I can web access my router settings though (on the specified port).

Edit: Nevermind this, my computer was frozen! :)

Last edited:
RT-N56U: use one of LAN ports for WAN in router mode

Hey guys,

can padavan's firmware be setup to utilize of the gigabit LAN ports on RT-N56U for WAN connection in router mode?

I want to use Guest AP network to provide some users access to the internet and block them from other AP clients and home LAN and as far as I understand (after having read this thread), the firmware requires the device to be in router mode (i.e. creating a new subnet for AP and LAN). I hope to be able to setup my main router's firewall to block local LAN from Guest AP on its subnet...

Since I already have a Gigabit network at home, it would be pitty to get limited by 100 Mb WAN port of the router. I cannot test myself since I am only planning to buy this router. If not possible, I would have to go for the RT-N66U, which costs much more.

kernel 3.4 FTW! here we go bufferbloat!

I had stopped using this router for a while, waiting to see if the firmware improved. This was one area that I was really hoping would be addressed, but I am not clear on this. Is the mere fact that this build is built on the 3.4 kernel enough? And if more is needed, has anything actually been done on this firmware to address bufferbloat? Or are you just hopeful?

i am not the person to ask about this, i am alrdy on a shi**y internet on a sh**y isp. try to use it again after 2 more build based on 3.4.x. the current version is still the first fw based on 3.4.x. but u can give it a go yrself. i hate to say this but i wish im on a better isp. fu**in 3rd world country. good luck to u man.

Hey guys,

can padavan's firmware be setup to utilize of the gigabit LAN ports on RT-N56U for WAN connection in router mode?

I want to use Guest AP network to provide some users access to the internet and block them from other AP clients and home LAN and as far as I understand (after having read this thread), the firmware requires the device to be in router mode (i.e. creating a new subnet for AP and LAN). I hope to be able to setup my main router's firewall to block local LAN from Guest AP on its subnet...

Since I already have a Gigabit network at home, it would be pitty to get limited by 100 Mb WAN port of the router. I cannot test myself since I am only planning to buy this router. If not possible, I would have to go for the RT-N66U, which costs much more.
Yes, the RT-N65U does utilize Gigabit on the LAN ports (and on the WAN port). I use it all the time to do large transfers between systems.

The Wireless Guest Network can be setup as an isolated network (meaning anyone on the Wireless Guest, will not see anything but the internet). There is a switch on the Guest AP configuration page(s) called "Isolation between Guest AP and LAN?" on Pavadan's firmware. Not sure if it's there on Asus's firmware (I haven't run that firmware since Pavadan came out).

Now... if you want the WIRED ports to be isolated.... Nope. Wired ports see everyone on the LAN and WAN side.

Extracting and injecting special ISP requirements

Hey guys

Sorry i'm new to this router (and clueless in Linux) but I was wondering how can I incorporate the special ISP requirements from Padavan's 1.0.1.8d-p3 firmware (specifically for Unifi in Malaysia) in his latest firmwares?

The 1.0.1.8d-p3 firmware has an ok connection but I could never load the setup page on 192.168.1.1 after a few hours after restart (internet still runs though). Therefore hoping to be able to use his latest firmware.

Cheers!

[SOLVED] Wireless Guest Network on different subnet

Yes, the RT-N65U does utilize Gigabit on the LAN ports (and on the WAN port). I use it all the time to do large transfers between systems.
Thanks for the info, Guz. There was a mistake in re-sellers e-shop. I went ahead and purchased the WiFi AP.

Guz said:
The Wireless Guest Network can be setup as an isolated network (meaning anyone on the Wireless Guest, will not see anything but the internet). There is a switch on the Guest AP configuration page(s) called "Isolation between Guest AP and LAN?" on Pavadan's firmware. Not sure if it's there on Asus's firmware (I haven't run that firmware since Pavadan came out).
Asus does not offer Guest AP on this model.

Padavan's firmware creates separate SSID and BSSID for standard AP and Guest AP, respectively, however, they all share the same DHCP pool of LAN.

The issue is that RT-N56U's WAN (internet) port will be connected to another Router1 on my home network and I guess that despite the use of AP and LAN isolation, the Guest AP's clients will be able to see the Router1's network (which is in the realm of "internet" from the view point of RT-N56U).

DD-WRT uses separate DHCP pools (subnets) for standard AP and Guest AP, which allows to set proper routing/filtering on the Router1.

I am away until Sunday so I cannot test myself. But: is there some workaround? I thought about manual edit of dnsmasq.conf and set different pools for the virtual devices instead of br0, though I am not sure if it is just so simple....

Guz said:
Now... if you want the WIRED ports to be isolated.... Nope. Wired ports see everyone on the LAN and WAN side.
I could live with that limitation or I could try to disable LAN ports at all (DD-WRT on Asus allows that on command line).

EDIT: Ok, there are more ways to go, however I have chose the following:
  • Set RT-N56U into AP operation mode (all clients use existing subnet connected to WAN port) and enable Guest AP.
  • Enable Main and Guest AP isolation (this will isolate clients between normal and guest networks. It is done on a lower protocol level therefore no netfilter is engaged).
  • Enable AP Isolation for Guest AP (this will isolate clients within Guest Network).
  • Create own startup script to:
    • exclude NIC rai1 (which is the Guest AP on 2.4 MHz radio) from bridge br0.
    • setup ip address/netmaks/broadcast for rai1 - on a different subnet than your main one.
    • run dnsmasq server to provide DHCP service on rai1 (no config file needed, all can be setup via command parameters)
    • set some iptables rules for forwarding chain (I block any communication from rai1 to my main subnet and allow to connect to main subnet's router and public internet).
    • enable IP forwarding in kernel (echo 1 > /proc/net/bla bla bla.. - search google)
  • run the script from /etc/storage/started_script.sh. I actually put my script into /opt/home/admin/bin folder on external flash disk, since I installed Entware already. This has the advantage that if the start up script fails and blocks my access to the RT-N56U, I simply unplug the pendrive and reboot again...
It is possible to have RT-N56U in router mode, though it complicates the startup script a bit (there are already netfilter rules in place + nat) and it is more prone to error due to more versatile configuration options in web interface of RT-N56U. I anyway prefer to have all "authorised" computers on my home LAN and only Guest computers on a separate subnet - hence the above approach fits better.

I have not succeeded to physically disable LAN ports, though, since I have not found a way to do so (no nvram options seem fit).

Last edited:
I haven't tried this firmware in a while , since almost every version I tried, gave me dlna errors when trying to stream to PS3. There has been a problem posted about it for a long time, yet I never see anything in regards to changelogs and PS3 issues....
If anyone has good luck with this firmware and PS3, let me know...
The firmware works fine for my xbox and computers, but I usually stream with PS.
AsusWRT firmware works fine with it but would like to try out padavans.
Thanks!

BUMP [Any one?]

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!