What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

can it also been used for ASUS rt-n56u?
The simple_shaper.sh should work fine with the RT-N56U, but I planned on adding a more complex script that also allows for fair download speed when multiple people are sharing the Internet connection. This does not work with the original builds, since they don't include the necessary kernel modules.

If there's interest I could also compile RT-N56U images, but I don't have the hardware to test them.

what are your results on the netalyzr site?
I guess you're interested in the "Network buffer measurements". Well, with the shaping script you can reduce uplink buffer time to almost 0.

Only thing you cannot influence directly is the ISP side (downlink). Everything but the downlink buffer measurement is green when I reduce the buffers in my script and run the test.

BUT, and this is a big but, this test doesn't tell you what's really going on.
I can set buffers high for bulk transfers but still prioritize e.g. voice or game traffic so that it will be sent without delay. My script doesn't just do simple shaping but also prioritization.

The netalyzr seems to send UDP packets as fast as possible, which is way way faster than the uplink can handle. No real application does that. It seems to measure the time until the buffer is full and the router/modem starts dropping all new packets.
Real-world applications don't send data as fast as possible, they either wait for replies or acknowledgments or in case of TCP transmissions simply get blocked by the operating system.

There may however be a problem with applications that send bursts of traffic when you make the buffer very small. If a traffic burst fills up the very short queue the next packets will simply be dropped by the router. A voice chat or streaming application could experience horrible packet loss.

Last edited:
I have comcast as my isp & these are the settings I'm using for ipv6, my question is should I enable "Enable LAN DHCPv6 Server (Stateless only)?" option or my settings are just fine. Thanks :)

I have comcast as my isp & these are the settings I'm using for ipv6, my question is should I enable "Enable LAN DHCPv6 Server (Stateless only)?" option or my settings are just fine. Thanks :)

Yes, I'm also with Comcast, and I enable that.

Hi XNOR,

please do that for n56u

i have be suffering from ping fluctuations when gaming while other computers are torrenting.

Last edited:
The simple_shaper.sh should work fine with the RT-N56U, but I planned on adding a more complex script that also allows for fair download speed when multiple people are sharing the Internet connection. This does not work with the original builds, since they don't include the necessary kernel modules.

If there's interest I could also compile RT-N56U images, but I don't have the hardware to test them.

I guess you're interested in the "Network buffer measurements". Well, with the shaping script you can reduce uplink buffer time to almost 0.

Only thing you cannot influence directly is the ISP side (downlink). Everything but the downlink buffer measurement is green when I reduce the buffers in my script and run the test.

BUT, and this is a big but, this test doesn't tell you what's really going on.
I can set buffers high for bulk transfers but still prioritize e.g. voice or game traffic so that it will be sent without delay. My script doesn't just do simple shaping but also prioritization.

The netalyzr seems to send UDP packets as fast as possible, which is way way faster than the uplink can handle. No real application does that. It seems to measure the time until the buffer is full and the router/modem starts dropping all new packets.
Real-world applications don't send data as fast as possible, they either wait for replies or acknowledgments or in case of TCP transmissions simply get blocked by the operating system.

There may however be a problem with applications that send bursts of traffic when you make the buffer very small. If a traffic burst fills up the very short queue the next packets will simply be dropped by the router. A voice chat or streaming application could experience horrible packet loss.

is your shaper script the same like this?

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

is your shaper script the same like this?

wshaper.htb is similar but has a couple of very serious problems. The last time that script was updates was 11 years ago.

Problems: wrong rates, priorities, burst values, no configurable buffer size, lack of documentation, and uses the imo way more complicated tc filters instead of simple but powerful iptables* rules.

*) iptables is already used by the firmware for NAT, UPNP rules, URL filtering, etc. so it makes sense to also use it to classify traffic

Also, while my simple_shaper.sh doesn't handle the downstream it's probably still better than what the wondershaper is doing: dropping any packet (may be voice chat or game data) that is coming in too fast.

Have you tried wshaper? I don't think it even runs on the shell that comes with RT-NxxU, it requires bash after all. I tried to make my script as POSIX-compliant as possible so it runs everywhere.

Last edited:
wshaper.htb is similar but has a couple of very serious problems. The last time that script was updates was 11 years ago.

Problems: wrong rates, priorities, burst values, no configurable buffer size, lack of documentation, and uses the imo way more complicated tc filters instead of simple but powerful iptables* rules.

*) iptables is already used by the firmware for NAT, UPNP rules, URL filtering, etc. so it makes sense to also use it to classify traffic

Also, while my simple_shaper.sh doesn't handle the downstream it's probably still better than what the wondershaper is doing: dropping any packet (may be voice chat or game data) that is coming in too fast.

Have you tried wshaper? I don't think it even runs on the shell that comes with RT-NxxU, it requires bash after all. I tried to make my script as POSIX-compliant as possible so it runs everywhere.

ah ok. I´m back on Padawans Firmware. How can I use and enable your script? I´m on the RT-N56U.

hello, i have an ASUS rt n56u and i have problems with wi-fi connection with padavan's custom firmaware. my phone xperia mini (ICS) and xperia ray (gingerbeard) it won't detect the wireless network with 3.4.3.7-071_dlna.trx firmware. the two phone detect the WI-FI network only with original asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374.979 version. also i want to use dlna function which work only with padavan's firmaware. someone colud help me with an ideea? i don't know what to do so both function work togheter. sorry for my english.

radio is enabled, SSID is set not hidden, channel is set AUTO, mode is set B/G/N mixed and Authentication Method i try open and WPA2-personal but without no results. i'm very frustrated:mad:

radio is enabled, SSID is set not hidden, channel is set AUTO, mode is set B/G/N mixed and Authentication Method i try open and WPA2-personal but without no results. i'm very frustrated:mad:

First off, having the channel on AUTO isn't such a great idea. I'd get a nice wireless client app like inSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer and see what the clearest channel is in your area, and use that one. The channel width that I'd use is 20MHz. (I think that you're talking about 2.4GHz.?), and make sure that you're using WPA2/AES. That might get you started, but Padavan's firmware has a lot of settings that it's worthwhile to go through. If you see a WMM-related setting, make sure that's enabled, too. I haven't had much trouble with Padavan's firmware, it usually just works, IPv6 and all, if you get the settings right. For me, not using the dlna functionality, a lot of the defaults are fine, with a few exceptions.

I'm also not sure why you've picked a mode like B/G/N? Do you have any wireless-b or wireless-g clients? If not just use it on wireless-n only.

If you're talking about 5GHz. band, that's a whole different ball game. The 5GHz. on the RT-N56U isn't very good at my house on the best of days, so unless I'm in the same room with the router I use 2.4GHz. The 2.4GHz. wireless band does cover my whole house decently.

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Check your "Region Code" at the bottom of the 2.4/5 GHz configuration pages. Make sure it's set for where you live (USA, Europe, Japan, Debug). If you're in the USA and it is set to Europe, you WILL have issues connecting (been there, done that).

It the same setup menu available as the AUSUWRT ?

Hi,

I have not use this firmware on RT_N56U. I have the following questions and hope someone can help to verify on the setup feature :-

My ISP require that WAN setup has the MAC CLONE and IPTV setup with special ISP requirement and have the choice of "singtel-other" in the orginal firmware.

Could anyone help to verify that it is available from this firmware ?

Thanks
Parry (singapore)

Ecn

can someone tell me if and how it is possible to enable

"Explicit Congestion Notification" on the Router?

(RT-N56U)

Read the >guide< starting with installation.

If you have not set up an SSH connection yet see:
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/wiki/CommonTips#Installation_and_Usage_the_Terminal_Application

You can copy files onto the router for example by using any FTP client that supports SFTP using same login as SSH.

So with the RT-N56U that shaper will work on padavans firmware? I thought they removed all the QoS stuff?

edit: Tried to do it but the guide is pretty bad. How do I put the file onto the router? I tried putty and used "cd /etc/storage/" and then "put simple_shaper.sh" which works but then it says it is not found when I try to run it. If I try "put simple_shaper.sh /etc/storage/" I get "/etc/storage: open for write failure".

Last edited:
So with the RT-N56U that shaper will work on padavans firmware? I thought they removed all the QoS stuff?

edit: Tried to do it but the guide is pretty bad. How do I put the file onto the router? I tried putty and used "cd /etc/storage/" and then "put simple_shaper.sh" which works but then it says it is not found when I try to run it. If I try "put simple_shaper.sh /etc/storage/" I get "/etc/storage: open for write failure".

I had the same error, which is easily fixed by giving the file's owner execute permissions. If you are not familiar with unix-style permissions, Google it. In short, you can solve the problem by changing the permissions to 766. Actually, my error may not have been exactly the same, but those permissions aught to fix it.

I had the same error, which is easily fixed by giving the file's owner execute permissions. If you are not familiar with unix-style permissions, Google it. In short, you can solve the problem by changing the permissions to 766. Actually, my error may not have been exactly the same, but those permissions aught to fix it.

Ok thanks, I think I may know what to do now. I think it was at 755 or something. If it works, i'll do a simple guide as most people will come here by google search, etc and won't know this stuff.

edit: ok nothing I do works. I have zero prior knowledge of unix. Just do a simple guide. I got the latest padavan firmware, enabled SSH, downloaded putty SFTP client, typed open 192.168.1.1 and entered admin/admin, typed cd /etc/storage, typed put simple_shaper.sh, typed chmod 766 simple_shaper.sh and received 0666->0766. Typed dir which shows it is there, then I have tried all sorts of commands to run simple_shaper.sh but it says it is not found. I the console, Putty and Putty SFTP.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I think I may know what to do now. I think it was at 755 or something. If it works, i'll do a simple guide as most people will come here by google search, etc and won't know this stuff.

edit: ok nothing I do works. I have zero prior knowledge of unix. Just do a simple guide. I got the latest padavan firmware, enabled SSH, downloaded putty SFTP client, typed open 192.168.1.1 and entered admin/admin, typed cd /etc/storage, typed put simple_shaper.sh, typed chmod 766 simple_shaper.sh and received 0666->0766. Typed dir which shows it is there, then I have tried all sorts of commands to run simple_shaper.sh but it says it is not found. I the console, Putty and Putty SFTP.

Try;

chmod +x /etc/storage/simple_shaper.sh
sh /etc/storage/simple_shaper.sh

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!