What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh, I know. I was just making fun of one of the specific answers they gave you at the time by turning it on them.

Oh, right. Missed that. ;) Today I have 54g speed so might have other issues than who made the firmware. Was the adapter, removed and reinstalled adapter drivers, all good.

Last edited:
Hello there,

I just got this router on sale at staples. I thought it was dd-wrt compatible but it wasn't. I searched google and found this firmware. I downloaded the latest version of the base firmware and just installed it. Everything seems to work fine, but now I am wondering if it's the best version for me.

What I will use my router is to connect to a vpn for US netflix access, torrenting and also connect a usb2 printer and external hard drive. Is the base firmware ok for me? Also, my internet connection is 30/10mbits. I tried downloading a linux distribution image. I got 3.6mb/s but when I tried to go to a webpage, it was really really slow, like took 1 minute to load.

I use the model to connect my new retina macbook pro, my wife's 2012 macbook air, my iphone, her nexus 4, my apple tv and wd tv live.

I am planing on using private internet access VPN.

Are there any plug-ins to install??

Thank you very much for your help.

ok well, Nobody to help me???

As I understand, you plan to connect the whole network to the VPN (e.g. your router is the client for VPN).

What are the speeds if you just connect one of the computers' to the VPN? Might be the router being slow. Try changing DNS servers (use google's: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in the VPN settings.

base is good enough for your needs..

Hello there,

I just got this router on sale at staples. I thought it was dd-wrt compatible but it wasn't. I searched google and found this firmware. I downloaded the latest version of the base firmware and just installed it. Everything seems to work fine, but now I am wondering if it's the best version for me.

What I will use my router is to connect to a vpn for US netflix access, torrenting and also connect a usb2 printer and external hard drive. Is the base firmware ok for me? Also, my internet connection is 30/10mbits. I tried downloading a linux distribution image. I got 3.6mb/s but when I tried to go to a webpage, it was really really slow, like took 1 minute to load.

I use the model to connect my new retina macbook pro, my wife's 2012 macbook air, my iphone, her nexus 4, my apple tv and wd tv live.

Hello there,

The base firmware will probably be fine for what you are doing. As far as I know there are no plugins but you can install Entware package manager.
not sure if these instructions are up to date but they worked for me a few months ago.
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/wiki/HowToConfigureEntware

Hey,

I just got a RT-N56U router and i where wondering which of the four versions of this firmware would be the best option?

Is it also possible to "map network drive" with the firmware somehow? (got a extra 2 tb usb hard-drive)

Thanks in advance

Okay, I've run into a problem. Everyone connecting via wifi at 9:45pm is being disconnected. I can't find anything in the settings that would do this. Here is the log entry for that time:

Jun 5 18:51:10 BL-N750DB: Hardware NAT/Routing: Enabled, IPoE/PPPoE offload [WAN]<->[LAN/WLAN]
Jun 5 18:51:10 BL-N750DB: Hardware NAT/Routing: IPv4 UDP flow offload - OFF
Jun 5 18:51:10 BL-N750DB: Hardware NAT/Routing: IPv6 routes offload - OFF
Jun 5 18:53:51 kernel: br0: port 2(rai0) entering forwarding state
Jun 5 18:53:52 kernel: br0: port 2(rai0) entering listening state
Jun 5 18:54:07 kernel: br0: port 2(rai0) entering learning state
Jun 5 18:54:22 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jun 5 18:54:22 kernel: br0: port 2(rai0) entering forwarding state

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Okay, none.

Anyway, I decided to update to there new firmware. Seems to be working but now, instead of a small orange light and a large green light, I now have two orange lights lite. Are these lights trying to tell me anything?

Last edited:
I'm trying to change the MAC Address of the router (under the WAN section), but every time I do, it won't fetch an IPv4 Address WAN or Gateway WAN. I used to be able to do this a couple months ago, but all of a sudden it no longer works.

Any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

I have just downloaded RT-N56U_3.0.3.8-081_dlna.trx and tried the media server, however...

On my PS3, I constantly get Dlna error 2104 whenever I try to go into a folder.

On my TV, I can play a movie, but I don't get sound.

On both of them, I can't get subtitles to work.

Anyone encountered this and managed to solve it?

Last edited:
I'm trying to change the MAC Address of the router (under the WAN section), but every time I do, it won't fetch an IPv4 Address WAN or Gateway WAN. I used to be able to do this a couple months ago, but all of a sudden it no longer works.

Any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Generally, you need to change the MAC address on the router. Then power down the router and the modem. Power up the modem and wait till it's done booting, then power up the router with the new MAC address.

I have just downloaded RT-N56U_3.0.3.8-081_dlna.trx and tried the media server, however...

On my PS3, I constantly get Dlna error 2104 whenever I try to go into a folder.

On my TV, I can play a movie, but I don't get sound.

On both of them, I can't get subtitles to work.

Anyone encountered this and managed to solve it?
I don't have a PS3, but from what I've read, it is the most finicky DLNA client on the planet and it has issues with various DNLA servers. Not sure what to recommend, sorry.

As for the TV. Hopefully it has a USB port, so try putting one of the movies that don't play the sound on a USB stick and try playing it from the USB port on the TV.

If it doesn't play properly, it's the movie encoding and it's codecs. You might have to convert them to another format. Personally I use MP4 format, as I have found it to be the most widely supported video format (x.264 video and AC3 or AAC audio).

Subtitles - try external subtitles. Just name them the same as the video file but with the .srt extension.

Example:
The Great Race.mp4
The Great Race.srt

Q: Padavan connecting 2 rt-n56u together

I tried searching first...
How do I configure Padavan to connect 2 rt-n56u together:
One as a router-A (192.168.11.1), and the other as AccessPoint-B (192.168.11.2).
AccessPoint-B/LAN-port is connected by wire to router-A/LAN-port
DHCP is given on router-A

Thank You in advance

Well, my Padawan issues continue, because now the folder on the network shared disk I setup up on the router comes up empty, even though there was files in it last time I checked, and I can no longer write to it.

But I guess that's what you get when you use homebrew like this.

EDIT: I also now noticed that the built-in DLNA server stops working every time you press the rescan button, so you have to reboot the router every time you add a file... :(

Last edited:
Brother printer

Hi,

I am trying to set up my Brother MFC-440CN printer with my Asus N56 router. When I plug it into my router, it shows up as enabled on the USB Printer Status page, but the printer model is not detected and shows up as unknown. I tried adding it to my printers from my OS X laptop, and while it was detected successfully, it refuses to print and shows the queues as perpetually paused. I have everything enabled in the USB Application - Printer settings as well.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Thanks.

EDIT:

Nevermind! It works now when I change the queue name to "LPRServer" instead of going with the default queue. Problem fixed.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a noob question, and I would really appreciate anyone's help. So I just got my my Asus RT-n65U and I want to flash Padavan's. I have several questions.

Do I first upgrade to the latest official ASUS firmware or not?

If not, do I simply upgrade to Padavan's firmware and do I need to do any factor reset before or after doing this? If anyone knows a site with a walkthrough or tutorial I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.