What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, it is not enough to create guest ssid. I want to create separate guest LAN with its own IP-address range, net mask and gateway. I have two gateways: main with no limits and additional with limited bandwidth. Also I want to avoid access between main and guest LANs.
Can I do it with Padavan?
Preventing access between Guest and main SSID can be done by simply checking the "AP isolation" box.
I'm not sure if Padavan's allows different LAN segment per SSID. In DD WRT/Tomato we just have to select which iface is bridged to certain iface, not seeing that option in Padavan's.

Preventing access between Guest and main SSID can be done by simply checking the "AP isolation" box.
I'm not sure if Padavan's allows different LAN segment per SSID. In DD WRT/Tomato we just have to select which iface is bridged to certain iface, not seeing that option in Padavan's.

See my previous post for screenshot of guest options

Last edited:
What are you actually trying to achieve?

Why do you need separate LAN?
We have office with about 40 employees. All of them have smartphones and are using guest wifi. But the worst of all, we have several living rooms in the same building. The residents have laptops and even desktop computers and also are using our guest wifi. And if any of them starts using torrents, it cause high load on router's processor. I could be wrong, but I think it would be better if our main server will do routing instead of wifi-router. So I want to be sure that guest network congestion can not affect the main wifi network.
P.S. I do traffic limiting on guest lan but I'm not sure if it saves me from torrents.

With N56u 3.4.3.9-099 I am having a problem with T-Mobile wifi calling on my Samsung S6 where after a few minutes of talking, it starts to break up and the line is dropped. Any hints on what I might do to check for errors to fix this?

I have problem with Padavan firmware on my router Asus RT-N14U. Maximum download speed is about 30 Mbit/s. With native firmware download speed is adout 60 Mbit/s. What am I doing wrong?
I tried different values of mode, channel, ht20 and ht40, WMM, gain, also I tried different laptops. All time I get the same result. Is it possible that padavan slow down wifi speed?

@ryzhov_al
Is there any chance in supporting other routers besides Asus? I just saw the templates for Zyxel (which unfortunately) are not available outside RU.

I'm asking since MT7621 is starting to appear in other models, including wired-only routers, such as Ubiquity EdgeRouter X and Mikrotik hEX 3 with extra RAM and very attractive pricing.

Cheers!

Just a tiny question, before purchasing a new router. Is the Asus N56 generally a stable and recommended router, when used with the Padavan firmware?

Just a tiny question, before purchasing a new router. Is the Asus N56 generally a stable and recommended router, when used with the Padavan firmware?

It is for me. I still have a few setup as the main 'wired only' router and many more as Bridges (and then; only using the LAN ports).

If you really want WiFi performance though, this is not the router to consider today (the RT-AC56U is the starting point of 'good' AC class performance. Even if you just have N class clients).

It is for me. I still have a few setup as the main 'wired only' router and many more as Bridges (and then; only using the LAN ports).

If you really want WiFi performance though, this is not the router to consider today (the RT-AC56U is the starting point of 'good' AC class performance. Even if you just have N class clients).
I have an RT-N56U B1 which can have its hidden AC mode activated usng Padavan firmware. Performance is excellent. It beats my RT-AC51U on all fronts.

I'm sure you can get better raw figures than the RT-N56U B1 but not at that price point if you're find with USB2. YMMV

Thanks for the answers! I have an AC56U at home, where I need performance and it's working really well with the "Fork" firmware.

N56U would be actually for my parent's place for a 120 mbps net, and all I'm looking for is a reliable 5 Ghz capable device, and the N56U looked like one. Cheaper devices like entry/mid level TP-Links all became unreliable for me after a year, so I have a box of unreliable TP-Links (6 or so), which I would like to avoid this time.

So far N56U + Padavan looks to be a winner, thanks!

I can't speak for the original N56U, only the revised N56U B1 (it has a small grey power switch on the device, no LEDs on the ethernet sockets, and hidden AC mode)

How do you want me to test it? Happy to.

Settings menu is just standard Padavan but you can control AC in addition to N&A on 5GHz.

Settings
340b6ebe0f2e6036c177eff19d518ebf.png

492ca97b2cd2271e036eefa0f71e9d01.png

46d763af5fe1f6afc81d520df8cf45a3.png

bdc45705b5a2225b103461509bf18ecf.png

Last edited:
Cheers.
Since you already have an AC router (though arguably not top of the line) is there any difference in terms of range or speed that you might have picked up? Anything that stands out when you transfer files or the like?