What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cheers.
Since you already have an AC router (though arguably not top of the line) is there any difference in terms of range or speed that you might have picked up? Anything that stands out when you transfer files or the like?

I no longer have my AC51U, it became redundant due to N56U-B1.

Range is much better for me on N56U-B1. Coverage and penetration around my old house and large garden is much better with N56U-B1.

AC performance is theoretically twice as good on N56U-B1 compared to AC51U.

AC51U "AC750"
Antenna:
2x 5dBi @2.4GHz ext/int antenna, 300mbps (150+150)
1x 3dBi @5GHz ext. PCB antenna, 433mbps
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC51U

N56U-B1 "AC1500"
Antenna:
2x 3.17dBi @2.4Ghz internal antenna, 600 mbps (300+300)
2x 4.0dBi @5GHz internal antenna, 866mbps (433+433)
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N56U_B1

Last edited:
I am using an RT-N56U as a wireless access point. I would like to be able to set up an OpenVPN client on the access point that will selectively route some IP addresses over the VPN. I see that the OpenVPN options are not available when the router is set to Access Point mode. Is it feasible to keep the router in AP mode and also set up an OpenVPN client?

I've been using Padavan in Router mode with a wired uplink. Is it possible to use a WiFi uplink (e.g. WISP) instead? I tried using Bridge in AP+Client mode but that bridged the LAN and the WAN (no suprise, I suppose) and I'd like the two subnets to remain separate.

Thanks.

33YNzOliF6Da.png

For some reason, I don't see the last option offered on that web page

Last edited:
It turns out that I had attempted WISP mode with the unit initially in AP mode. When I tried it again starting from Router mode, the option was offered an it worked as a WiFi to WiFi router!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey,
1st post here. Ive read some pages of this thread, thanks to everyone contributing.

I have a problem with the RT-AC51 i bought 1,5 years ago. Wifi never seemed to work properly (i use it as an AP via wired). But i didn't bother much until recently. Wifi connection is a pain in the butt, most of the times my phone said "connecting..." or "obtaining ip address" but it didn't connect. so i've checked the logs:
Code:
kernel: rt2860v2:Qidx(0), not enough space in MgmtRing, MgmtRingFullCount=69!
^^that one happens all the time when trying to connect via wifi.
Code:
kernel: rt2860v2:Replay Counter Different in pairwise msg 2 of 4-way handshake!

So, recently i've updated the asuswrt firmware but that "not enough space" error still happens. Less frequently though.

So, question:
  1. Does anyone know what that error means and what causes it?
  2. Does Padavan 2rd party firmware fixes it?
Thanks in advance. and happy new year ;)

Thanks, i have other problem now, regarding with the installation. Guys from cable company splitted one ethernet cable into 2, now apparently i have half the bandwidth on each end. gonna report this

Should I be concerned with excessive logging?

I have a charging cable plugged into one of the ports on my N56UB1, the whole family use it. Every time a device is connected/disconnected there is 6 lines of logging:

Jan 19 10:58:49 kernel: usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 214 using xhci-hcd
Jan 19 10:58:49 kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=12a8
Jan 19 10:58:49 kernel: usb 1-1: Product: iPhone
Jan 19 10:58:49 kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Jan 19 10:58:49 kernel: usb 1-1: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan 19 11:17:30 kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 214

Should I worry about these building up? Are logs pruned automatically?