What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would normally use the forum search for this, but unfortunately QOS is to short of a term lol!

Running a N56U, just installed last night. Was disappointed to find that QoS isn't part of ANY of the pre-built firmwares. I just wanted to confirm that in order to get said feature I'll have to build a firmware myself?

Was hoping maybe someone else had done it already as i don't currently have an environment to build any custom firmware in. :(

Void4ever

Running a N56U, just installed last night. Was disappointed to find that QoS isn't part of ANY of the pre-built firmwares. I just wanted to confirm that in order to get said feature I'll have to build a firmware myself?
QoS is incompatible with hardware NAT. You can have one or the other.

Old version of "moonman" Padavan+QoS is here: https://m.mediafire.com/folder/8bk8bn9l1807q

Comes from https://github.com/moonman/rt-n56u

but I recommend you build the most recent version

QoS is incompatible with hardware NAT. You can have one or the other.

Old version of "moonman" Padavan+QoS is here: https://m.mediafire.com/folder/8bk8bn9l1807q

Comes from https://github.com/moonman/rt-n56u

but I recommend you build the most recent version

Huh, i guess i never realized that. On the stock firmware I had NAT Acceleration on along with QoS to keep bufferbloat down. The router must have been disabling NAT Acc without showing the change on the interface. I was also limited to a 50/5 connection so it wouldn't have degraded speeds.

My understanding is until you start hitting around 150 to 200 you can run without NAT Acc on and notice no speed issues. I just recently got 140/10 though, and I'd rather keep NAT Acc on. I assume the only way around this is to run 2 routers then, or run something like pfSense on some Qotom hardware or something similar.

Void4ever

For anyone contemplating the migration from latest stock Asus to latest Padavan (3.4.3-099) it was very smooth and easy. It was as easy as upgrading from a factory-> factory firmware except you need to manually re-load any settings.

I had a few concerns based on what I'd read but no issues:
IPV6 worked too without a hitch and I'm on Comcast. I configured for: Native DHCPv6 / Stateful: DHCPv6 IA-NA .
Blocking specific hosts from accessing the internet was possible and Padavan's wiki provides instruction on how to do so.
I was quite happy to be able to use SSH (and very secure SSH too), and HTTPS on my older RT-N56U. Also not losing traffic history when updating configurations was a pleasant experience too.
I gained the option to create a guest-wireless network, and an actually secure VPN Server (not PPTP) and VPN Client to boot!

-Morgan

Hi,

Can you link to the instructions on how to make persistent changes to the HOSTS file? I have been trying for a couple of days and nothing seems to work for me.

Hi guys.

I have ordered a "ASUS RT-AC53 Dual-Band Wireless AC750" and I have seen some people say I can feed the router the Padavan firmware because it is better right? Just a couple of questions. Can I easily revert back to factory firmware in a similar way that I would put Padavans on there by just selecting the original firmware file I would download and feeding that in to the router and then factory resetting it? My other question is, what exactly is better about Padavans than the original firmware? Like any performance benefits or added features, possibly lost features?

I used to try custom firmware on my phone but the custom OS always had something not be working on the phone, like the magnetic compass does not work, or bluetooth 4 devices don't work or some weird glitch. I am just trying to figure out the benefits/risks to using this custom firmware on the router when it arrives.

Thanks.

Hi,
Asked this question elsewhere but it might be better in here.
I have a RT-AC51U that I want to use as a repeater to extend my wifi into the garden.
There isn't an option in stock firmware however a bit of googling led me to install Padavan firmware 3.4.3.9 -099 which I read allowed repeater mode but the option still isn't there.
Is it possible to use this router as a wireless repeater or should I bin it and purchase something that works out the box.
Thanks

I just noticed last nightly build is January 29, 2018. What happened? Where can I get latest nightly build?

Thanks for the answer
more in the link that I put spoke asus RT-N56U
this product supports third-party firmware (ASUS RT-N56U >>> PDN firmware)

this router comes with U-BOOT

you can always upgrade the firmware you want, but different third-party firmware needs to modify the GPIO, please know,

in addition, the firmware for the OpenWrt router factory firmware, we can provide the PDN firmware, if you need, please give us a message,
thank you!

nós podemos fornecer o PDN firmware, se você precisar, por favor nos dar uma mensagem,

we can provide the PDN firmware, if you need, please give us a message,
Contact the supplier for the correct version.

Last edited:
Is there a wireless client LAN survey feature in Padavan's FW? If yes, how to access it? I need to visually monitor periodically, what wireless clients are active in accessible by the router range including those not connected to the router.

If no such feature - why? And what Windows software or Entware package I can use instead? I realize, the Padavan's FW might monitor Wi-Fi clients trying to connect and records somewhere in its log, but I need a Survey feature to see the list of WiFi clients currently in range, and possibly available to connect to the N65U WiFi AP.

Lets say I switched on a new WiFi camera. How I can see from N65U GUI, its available on LAN as a client? How I can manually try to connect to it from the router's GUI? I can see this Cam among Access Points when switching the router WiFi to Bridge Mode, but when connected this way, the cam doesn't show any picture in Cam Windows package. So I assume it must be connected as a WiFi Client, but can't find the way to do that, since the cam setup is not accessible until connected via WiFi.

Last edited:
guys, I need your help :O7
I have asus rt-n56U b1.
On my local network Im hosting some vps (webserver, mail server...) available to public internet.
So Im thinking to have second LAN subnet for servers.
Is this possible on one router?
So, 192.168.1.0/24 for home network
192.168.2.0/24 for server?
thx all...