What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, set the router to Factory Default (Administration, Settings, Factory Default), reboot. Then unplug it after it comes back from the reboot (make sure it's fully rebooted and operational before you power it off).

Then go to your modem and power it down, wait for a 10 count. Power it up, and let it sit for a few minutes to boot up and do it's thing.

Then power up the router.

Test things out with a wired connection.

You should have internet by now. The reason is that some modems throw fits when routers get completely different firmware, and how they do handshakes after the firmware change.

After you have WAN connectivity, go through and manually config the router to your preferred settings. Don't restore from a saved config file. Saved config file from Asus won't work on Padavan's firmware.

If you really want to go back to the Asus firmware, you just have to upload the Asus firmware through the firmware update page. At least that's the idea. I haven't done it because I'm content with using Padavan's firmware.

Thanks for the reply !

I do have LAN now, but the wireless is still not working. I have tried resetting it and doing various things, but I still can't use the wifi on my phone or computer, though I have a wired connection, my roommates don't, so they need the wifi!

I used the Padavans firmware because the router kept losing connection so frequently, so I am hoping to get it working!! Thanks!

oh yeah

Oh, idk if this helps you figure out what's wrong, but it says waiting to obtain the IP address in the WAN connection on the Network Map...

The only problem I see is that you router can't acquire and IP address from your ISP.

power cycle everything, including your modem.
What connection do you have? Do you need to setup PPPoE maybe?
What happens if you plugin a PC directly into the modem?

My wired connection works, but the wireless doesnt. Neither worked last night when I first upgraded, but the wired connection works now. I dont know much about routers so idk how I should configure everything.

actually

Neither WAN or LAN ever worked, i didn't realize i never plugged the ethernet back to the router from the modem. so it never worked with Padavan's Firmware on it. Weird... oh well, the internet seems to be working better now with the ASUS firmware, no more loss connections, so I guess it worked out!

Anyone know how to add a large hosts file list to the router? I tried pasting the list under LAN>DHCP>Custom Configuration File "hosts", but the input box seems to have a character limit and cuts off the majority of the list? This is the list - http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

I tried enabling telnet and logging in with Putty and followed this guide: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13711 , but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

You can use this script and add it to the section that says "run at router restart". I've used it and it works perfectly but I found that the MVPS host file blocks to many things and I was to lazy to make my own host file:D.

wget http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt -O /etc/storage/dnsmasq/hosts
cat /etc/storage/dnsmasq/hosts >> /etc/hosts
killall dnsmasq
dnsmasq

Parental Controls

Hi all.
I have just installed the current "base" version (RT-N56U_3.4.3.8-087_base.zip ) of Padavan on my Asus RT-N56U, and have one question..

I can't seem to find the Parental controls that was included in the official firmware from Asus. Does anyone know if it is planned to include this in a future version of the Padavan firmware.. (or is it me who just can't find them ..)?

Thanks, and have a great day :)

Hey

I also installed the base version of Padavan on my Asus RT-N56U.

But now I can't access the web interface. When I try the ip : 192.168.1.1, it stay loading for a while and shows a "Find Asus Device" page, asking me to reconect to wifi.

But I cant connect to the wi-fi (both listed ASUS 2.4 and 5ghz) because I dont know the password (it was reseted after firmware update)

Any idea?

Hey

I also installed the base version of Padavan on my Asus RT-N56U.

But now I can't access the web interface. When I try the ip : 192.168.1.1, it stay loading for a while and shows a "Find Asus Device" page, asking me to reconect to wifi.

But I cant connect to the wi-fi (both listed ASUS 2.4 and 5ghz) because I dont know the password (it was reseted after firmware update)

Any idea?
Try password 1234567890.
It workes for me on version 085

I'm on the current final Padavan xxx-085 release on both of my N56U boxes and my N65U box. I use one of my N56Us in router mode but the DHCP reservation has a 64 device limit.

Is there anyway to increase this limit? I have over 75 devices on my home network. I used to only have half of the devices reserved but decided to start reserving an IP address for everything. So a few days ago I was reserving IP addresses when I hit the 64 device limit.

Or is there a higher limit on the N65U? I have a couple of those I got when they were $40 each at Newegg after rebate so I could use one of those as my router if the device limit is higher. Although I guess it would be alot of work for me to switch to the N65U as a router. The N56U has been rock solid.

Last edited:
Not sure if the newer version support higher number of reservations (probably not), but you're not on the latest release.

I think it is now at .87, correct?

Not sure if the newer version support higher number of reservations (probably not), but you're not on the latest release.

I think it is now at .87, correct?
That says it is the nightly build. WHich means it's still being tested doesn't it?

devices not showing

Hi. Updated to the .85 fw yesterday and everything is running fine. However I can not see any devices when loging on from my desktop computer. Every thing is hunke dorie if I logon from the laptop tho.
My External USB drive connected to the router shows up and before I press refresh there is a green dot with a number (7) but no devices listed. When I press refresh it just goes as screen shot shows
router_zps307ad11c.png

Last edited:
Hi. Updated to the .85 fw yesterday and everything is running fine. However I can not see any devices when loging on from my desktop computer. Every thing is hunke dorie if I logon from the laptop tho.
My External USB drive connected to the router shows up and before I press refresh there is a green dot with a number (7) but no devices listed. When I press refresh it just goes as screen shot shows
router_zps307ad11c.png

I've had this issue with one of my N56U routers. My other one is fine and so is my RT-N65U. The issue started a firmware or two ago. If I go back to an earlier firmware the devices show up, but as soon as I install one of the newer ones, it has the issue again.

Don't forget to clean browser cache.
I know in my situation the browser cache has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:
I've had this issue with one of my N56U routers. My other one is fine and so is my RT-N65U. The issue started a firmware or two ago. If I go back to an earlier firmware the devices show up, but as soon as I install one of the newer ones, it has the issue again.

I know in my situation the browser cache has nothing to do with this.

I had the exact SAME issue. You know what fixed it?

Clearing the browser cache.

I had the exact SAME issue. You know what fixed it?

Clearing the browser cache.

And I've tried that before. I've also used multiple PCs, multiple browsers, Tablets, phones, and a PC with a fresh windows install. None of those had any affect. The result was always the same. The only way it would show up is if I installed an earlier firmware. ANd then everything would show up just fine. Then as soon as I went back to one of the newer firmwares, everything would disappear again. I also have another N56U that does not have this problem. And an N65U that also doesn't have the issue. Only this one N56U I have has the issue.

Last edited: