What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm really lost. Can someone please point me into the right direction.

As mentioned above. My Asus N65U has the latest padavan fw installed.

Since I put it in AP mode, however there's no way I could start the web interface simply because I can't find its IP address.

This is what I've done so far

Code:
 sudo nmap -sn 192.168.0.0/24

getting me only 2 IPs, the one of my main router and the pc I'm using right now.

I would expect the asus to have its own network address like any other device in the network.

When I've configured AP's in the past, I've specified an IP address for them while configuring the AP. The AP admin IP address has to be in the same subnet as the main router admin IP address (and not in the DHCP IP allocation range), and that has worked fine for me to be able to get to the AP admin GUI.

For example, if the router admin IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the main router gives out DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.250, then a useful AP IP address might be 192.168.1.2.

Last edited:
When I've configured AP's in the past, I've specified an IP address for them while configuring the AP. The AP admin IP address has to be in the same subnet as the main router admin IP address (and not in the DHCP IP allocation range), and that has worked fine for me to be able to get to the AP admin GUI.

For example, if the router admin IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the main router gives out DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.250, then a useful AP IP address might be 192.168.1.2.

Thanks a lot guys, this and the detection tool solved my issue.

I wasn't aware that the router sits in the 1.1 subnet by default. I hopped it would preserve my old configuration from before which had 0.1 as the subnet.

Last edited:
why there are 3 Versions out there?

as I read the Micro build exclude "transmission" (is it only used for torrent?) "minidlna", "openssl", "sftp server"

I don´t know exactly what transmission is but I don´t use minidlna no openssl and no FTP Server.

At the moment I use the full Version and disabled all things I don´t need. I read about that "transmission" for example could saturate the upload. But I have no option for it.

What is the advantage to use the micro build? And is this "transmission" used also for xbox live? Is transmission in the official Firmware? Should I use the Microbuild instead of the Full build If I don´t use the many Features the Full build brings?

if you dont use minidlna or transmission, then there are no advantages. transmission is a bittorrent client running on your router so u wont have to leave your pc on while downloading torrent files. transmission is a file sharing application, if you dont limit the upload speed, yes it will saturate the upload speed because transmission uses it. hope i explain it clearly.

if you dont use minidlna or transmission, then there are no advantages. transmission is a bittorrent client running on your router so u wont have to leave your pc on while downloading torrent files. transmission is a file sharing application, if you dont limit the upload speed, yes it will saturate the upload speed because transmission uses it. hope i explain it clearly.

ok I understand - but what is the advantage from the micro build? If I don´t use those things like transmission and so on would it be better for me to have the micro build an if so why?

ok I understand - but what is the advantage from the micro build? If I don´t use those things like transmission and so on would it be better for me to have the micro build an if so why?

Its not better to use micro. Just unnecessary to use full if u dont use the features. Both full and micro are the same except for added features.

USB MiniDLNA problem?

I've opened up on the Padavan site problem report #816

==========
What steps will reproduce the problem?

If the router is plugged in, stopping it, the USB Drive (REMOVE) and taking it out and then replugging stops the router WAN internet connection.

If the USB was out, then plugging it in does the same.

Reason for removing the USB drive was to run CHKDSK on it. My iPad using AirAV or AirPlay to access the Media Server showed some files that did NOT exist when viewed with FTP or the network share.

CHKDSK showed a lot of errors from files deleted on the USB via the network share.

ASUS RT-N56U is the router.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

Router to continue working fine.

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?

Using flash 3.0.3.4-048 on W8.
================

I can't really say when this all started either, I've had sporadic problems on the USB External drive with according to the Media player some files exist but they do not show on FTP or Network share. Folders generally are empty, and the Router name shows up twice, the second one being bogus.

What I usually do is delete the .DMS folder after running CHKDSK and let it re-build. This time I did not.

I did run the CHKDSK on an XP system. I decided to try the W8 computer, as I know the CHKDSK was 'fixed' to pickup more errors, it did...

-------------------
C:\Users\Irv>chkdsk m: /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is USB_ROUTER.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
99935 file records processed.
File verification completed.
19 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
71 percent complete. (99879 of 110533 index entries processed)
Deleting index entry files.db in index $I30 of file 27.
110533 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
5300 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34464 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

976760000 KB total disk space.
83188024 KB in 91577 files.
38548 KB in 5301 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
196644 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
893336784 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244190000 total allocation units on disk.
223334196 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Users\Irv>
------------------

I ran CHKDSK a 2nd time to verify all was fixed and it was OK.

This drive basically stays on the Router all the time except for running CHKDSK occasionally?

When I do a flash I leave it attached as well. I do use the REMOVE before I take it off to ensure no problems.

So I'm wondering? Do I have a bad router, flash, USB drive, or is this a bug?

Anyone else on this flash, 3.0.3.4-048, have a USB drive problem that they see on a Media Player like an iPad? Extra files? Run CHKDSK on the drive and see errors?

This flash has been on since it came out. This was the first time I removed the USB external drive though, and I've always had it on the first USB slot.

Right now the drive is off and on the computer, but I'd appreciate suggestions or results if you try this.

Thanks.

hey, im pretty sure many have faced the same problem including myself. padavan's fw dont work very well with windows based format, etc: FAT/NTFS. I backed up my files on my ext-hdd and formatted it to ext3, problems never came back. even if i dont eject the hdd properly.

hey, im pretty sure many have faced the same problem including myself. padavan's fw dont work very well with windows based format, etc: FAT/NTFS. I backed up my files on my ext-hdd and formatted it to ext3, problems never came back. even if i dont eject the hdd properly.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on W8 x64 with the USB drive attached to it. What is the best way to do this, no, I don't mean moving the data off of the USB, but FORMATTING the USB to EXT3. From what I see it should be PARTED, and I've also got PUPPY LINUX. I assume with either it would be clear how to format the drive? I just tested Partition Magic's MiniTool Partition Wizard and I see it will do it as well. However, what is the best add-on to be able to read and write to EXT3 under Windows 8 x64 or should I just go and format it and then put it back on the Router and transfer it via the Network Share?

u answered it yourself. either use network share completely or use a linux distro of your choice. i am now running lubuntu and linux mint along with mac osx and windows 7/8. File transfers on recent padavan fw isnt that bad anymore, up to 21MB/s on gigabit and around 10MB/s wireless. hope u'll enjoy the ext3 soon

u answered it yourself. either use network share completely or use a linux distro of your choice. i am now running lubuntu and linux mint along with mac osx and windows 7/8. File transfers on recent padavan fw isnt that bad anymore, up to 21MB/s on gigabit and around 10MB/s wireless. hope u'll enjoy the ext3 soon

well on wireless never got more than 8 mB/s to router's usb attached hdd, no matter firmware version (padavan / asus) and no matter if hdd was ntfs / ext3.

Wired i get upto 22 mB/s. if i transfer to other laptop in my LAN i get about 15 mBs upload via 5 ghz wifi. wanna give some insights on how you got 10 mB/s ? :)

it's capped at 8 mB/s due smb since the router's cpu is 100%
625 588 nobody R N 3300 2.6 0 88.7 /sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
317 2 admin DW 0 0.0 0 5.9 [usb-storage]
3 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 1.3 [ksoftirqd/0]

Last edited:

This morning I updated to the 4-055 flash and plugged the USB in, it did NOT drop the Internet connection? I've not gone to EXT3 yet but I was prepared if this should have failed on plugging in.

I'm REALLY curious about the speed you get? The BEST I've seen is 14.2MBps with lows around 8MBps? That is only 96 to 105Mbps on my 1Gbps connection, hard wired RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller on my Dell motherboard? My transfer speed when the USB is connected to the computer is only about 22MBps I recall? I wouldn't think EXT3 would make the difference, but maybe it can? Are there some 'settings' that need to be changed on the Router to achieve the results you are? Like the Jumbo Frames (I'm set for up to 16000) or Flow Control (I'm at RX/TX)? I'm set to 1000Mbps, Full Duplex and that is what it shows as connected? Same as my modem to the router for both as well. Any other settings? I'm running W8 x64, anything need to be changed there?

This morning I updated to the 4-055 flash and plugged the USB in, it did NOT drop the Internet connection? I've not gone to EXT3 yet but I was prepared if this should have failed on plugging in.

I'm REALLY curious about the speed you get? The BEST I've seen is 14.2MBps with lows around 8MBps? That is only 96 to 105Mbps on my 1Gbps connection, hard wired RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller on my Dell motherboard? My transfer speed when the USB is connected to the computer is only about 22MBps I recall? I wouldn't think EXT3 would make the difference, but maybe it can? Are there some 'settings' that need to be changed on the Router to achieve the results you are? Like the Jumbo Frames (I'm set for up to 16000) or Flow Control (I'm at RX/TX)? I'm set to 1000Mbps, Full Duplex and that is what it shows as connected? Same as my modem to the router for both as well. Any other settings? I'm running W8 x64, anything need to be changed there?

16KB jumbo frames seem quite excessive to me. Are you sure that every single device on your network can support them (including any additional switch you might be using)?

16KB jumbo frames seem quite excessive to me. Are you sure that every single device on your network can support them (including any additional switch you might be using)?

Well, the router s/w only allows 1536 or up to 16000 in size?

Did find this, http://forum.grasscity.com/silicon-v-alley/764486-definitive-guide-gigabit-jumbo-frames.html, and reading it I might not be able to even get them. My wife's system uses a Linksys 2500A USB (I think?) and it doesn't even HAVE a Jumbo Frame possibility as an Advanced setting. Not to mention a few other devices, like iPad's, TV, Wii, or even the printer. I also HAD IT OFF, but I did turn it on.

I tried going to my wife's system and it didn't work but the max. frame size I can set is 9KB which I did and that is working, see this:

====================================
C:\Users\Irv>ping 192.168.1.105 -f -l 6099

Pinging 192.168.1.105 with 6099 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.105:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Irv>netsh int ip show interface

Idx Met MTU State Name
--- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
12 10 9198 connected Local Area Connection
1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
----------------------------------

So that probably has nothing to do with my slower computer to router speed (no switches involved other than the part of the router).

I know it says ALL devices need to be Jumbo Frame, so I guess I should knock that option back to the 1536? The article above implies I'd not be able to connect to non-jumbo frame systems, but that isn't the case, after I set it to 9KB I can still get to shares on her computer, which doesn't have Jumbo Frames?

I wonder if my TCP/IP Global settings need be changed?

================
C:\Users\Irv>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Access (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
Initial RTO : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled
=================

I think the above is a 'left-over' from when the system was Vista? Hmm, my wife's W8 system has the same settings, and I don't recall messing with those?

i got no other settings changed. im using wd 2tb ext drive. im using the default settings, connected to 5ghz and i will get around 7-12MB/s. Maybe the ext-hdd makes the difference, but i wont count on that. I wonder what u r curious about, u mentioned "The BEST I've seen is 14.2MBps with lows around 8MBps?", so that is pretty much what the wireless transfer via usb attached can do.
My settings are all on default. a/n mode, auto channel, europe region, open security, IGMP snooping enabled, 30Mbps HTMIX, long preamable. I also pause my transmission if i transfer so the cpu are not in use. if u need screenshots i can put it on here too. =) good luck

i got no other settings changed. im using wd 2tb ext drive. im using the default settings, connected to 5ghz and i will get around 7-12MB/s. Maybe the ext-hdd makes the difference, but i wont count on that. I wonder what u r curious about, u mentioned "The BEST I've seen is 14.2MBps with lows around 8MBps?", so that is pretty much what the wireless transfer via usb attached can do.
My settings are all on default. a/n mode, auto channel, europe region, open security, IGMP snooping enabled, 30Mbps HTMIX, long preamable. I also pause my transmission if i transfer so the cpu are not in use. if u need screenshots i can put it on here too. =) good luck

Arul, this is a hardwired 1GB connection, not wireless. I'm only getting 100Mbps or so, 1/10th the max. speed capable. When I had the USB attached to the computer via USB 2.0, I think I saw twice that speed. I think 60MBps or 480Mbps is the max., so I'm not near that.

I am in the US so that shouldn't make a difference.

I'm on a Quad-core Intel i7 and it always can handle anything I can throw at it, never needed to stop doing anything to allows something to run.

so, you meant 14MB/s is on gigabit? it could go around 21MB/s. u r not running transmission or any optware or entware right? the router cant process the transfer as fast as your normal computer which has faster cpu. the router only have single 500mhz cpu. May i know which ver of fw u r using tho?

so, you meant 14MB/s is on gigabit? it could go around 21MB/s. u r not running transmission or any optware or entware right?

Exactly. I should be faster. Actually, this is the fastest it has been. Had be 11 or 12MBps before.

Running RT-N56U_3.0.3.5-055_full.

Nothing running other them the Media Server and FTP Server, and of course the Network Share. Nothing is 'operating', not even a browser. I've got a 60+Mbps Internet service, usually my wife's machine is connected and on, 300Mbps wireless she uses. TV and Wii generally are NOT on, but 2 iPad's are on but dormant (sleeping).