What's new

Parental Control - Time Schedule reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sacha Telgenhof

New Around Here
Hi,

My apologies for if this already has been asked however couldn't find it in the forum.

For our children I have Time Scheduling enabled so that they can only use the Internet for a certain time slot for their devices. In case I decide to perform an 'Immediate' block and then revert the block again, the previously set time schedule is reset, being enabled for all time slots.

Anyone else has experienced this? Looks a bit like a bug or at least unexpected behavior to me.

Router: Asus RT-AC3200
MerlinFW: 384.12

TIA! Sacha

Last edited:
@Sacha Telgenhof what router are you running? What firmware version? What other features or 'extras' are running on your network?

@Sacha Telgenhof what router are you running? What firmware version? What other features or 'extras' are running on your network?
Sorry about that, forgot to include those details. I've added to my original post.

As for the features, I am not using any extras but the default MerlinFW. Using DNSFilter with custom DNS servers.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Cheers! Sacha

Thanks for the details. Any reason you are using a 7-month-old firmware?

When you initially installed RMerlin, did you follow a full M&M Config?

Thanks for the details. Any reason you are using a 7-month-old firmware?

When you initially installed RMerlin, did you follow a full M&M Config?
I know, planning on installing the latest one soon. Just haven't found the time yet. :)

Can't remember exactly when and if I did a config like the M&M but did a real clean install.

Are you saying that this feature works correctly and something wrong with my FW or config? I recall that this issue was already in earlier releases.

A 'real clean install'? What steps exactly did you take? :)

It may be in earlier versions, but that doesn't mean it wasn't improved in later ones. ;)

To minimize your testing steps and time;
  • Take a full backup of all your settings along with the actual firmware and save it securely. If needed you can use this to quickly get back to exactly where you are now.
  • Do not use these saved backup config files in future firmware.
  • Flash the latest 384.15 Alpha 2 for your router and perform a full M&M Config (a 'Nuclear Reset' is also recommended in full test mode).
  • Keep great notes and change one option at a time while testing. Add clients one by one to your new/test SSID's to eliminate those variables.
  • Provide (concisely) details of your steps/notes when you do find a problem you can't figure out and hopefully, others can help.
I don't use many features such as this myself, but many customers do. Some do have issues from time to time, and I help them determine what sequence causes the problem and ask them to stop doing it. ;)

Something like the patient who told the doctor 'my arm hurts when I hold it high behind my head' and the doctor 'healed' him by saying don't hold your arm behind your head! :)

As users, we are able to attempt to create much more complex situations than what the programmers originally designed the product for.

In other words; not all options are available all the time. Pick and choose what is the most important, overall. :)

A 'real clean install'? What steps exactly did you take? :)

It may be in earlier versions, but that doesn't mean it wasn't improved in later ones. ;)

To minimize your testing steps and time;
  • Take a full backup of all your settings along with the actual firmware and save it securely. If needed you can use this to quickly get back to exactly where you are now.
  • Do not use these saved backup config files in future firmware.
  • Flash the latest 384.15 Alpha 2 for your router and perform a full M&M Config (a 'Nuclear Reset' is also recommended in full test mode).
  • Keep great notes and change one option at a time while testing. Add clients one by one to your new/test SSID's to eliminate those variables.
  • Provide (concisely) details of your steps/notes when you do find a problem you can't figure out and hopefully, others can help.
I don't use many features such as this myself, but many customers do. Some do have issues from time to time, and I help them determine what sequence causes the problem and ask them to stop doing it. ;)

Something like the patient who told the doctor 'my arm hurts when I hold it high behind my head' and the doctor 'healed' him by saying don't hold your arm behind your head! :)

As users, we are able to attempt to create much more complex situations than what the programmers originally designed the product for.

In other words; not all options are available all the time. Pick and choose what is the most important, overall. :)

Thanks for the detailed answer, however I am not sure what this has to do with my initial question. Was perhaps my question not clear or worded incorrectly?

Sorry, maybe my answer was too wordy? :(

I can only offer the help I know. Maybe others can add better information here. :)

I just checked this on my AC3200 and yes , if you set a schedule then apply block the schedule is removed.

I don't know the age of your children or how much control you want but you may want to look at something like Kaspersky Safe Kids.

https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/safe-kids

I know a couple of people trying it and they seem impressed.

Set times, track usage/social media , locate them using GPS etc.

Last edited:
I just checked this on my AC3200 and yes , if you set a schedule then apply block the schedule is removed.

I don't know the age of your children or how much control you want but you may want to look at something like Kaspersky Safe Kids.

https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/safe-kids

I know a couple of people trying it and they seem impressed.

Set times, track usage/social media , locate them using GPS etc.
Sorry for the late response. I didn't notice the new replies :)

Thanks for the suggestion, however not looking for a new solution more interested if others noticed the same issue. I believe this behavior is not desired as one wants to keep the previous settings. I don't know if this is intentional or not.

BTW My kids are already teenagers, so not a tight control is needed. Just sometimes we need to be able to cut off their Internet access :)

Cheers! Saca

As of late the issue is not present any longer. I do recall that I've used the Asus iPhone app to manage my router including the Parental Control parts. I suspect that a recent update of this app has resolved this issue (not 100% sure).
For now, case closed :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!