What's new

PCE-AC88 with AC86U router only 3 spatial streams (1300/1300 max)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winters2k1

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out why my PCE-AC88 is only showing 3 spatial streams when connected to my AC86U router? Maxing out at 1300/1300 speed. I have latest windows 10 drivers along with Merlin 384.17 FW on router. Showing a solid -40dbm connection to the router

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out why my PCE-AC88 is only showing 3 spatial streams when connected to my AC86U router? Maxing out at 1300/1300 speed. I have latest windows 10 drivers along with Merlin 384.17 FW on router. Showing a solid -40dbm connection to the router

Thinking out loud...

My 2x86U AiMesh 5.0 4x4 wireless backhaul can get closer to 2100 over a short distance. I don't configure anything special to enable 4 streams, but maybe AiMesh does.

If you assume the router is ok...

Maybe you can detect a failed 88U stream/antenna by disabling one antenna at a time. Disabling the failed stream/antenna might show no speed change. Cycle power and try again for repeat findings.

Frankly, I'm not sure if this is valid troubleshooting... but maybe it will reveal a clue.

OE

It has to be something on my router side as my girlfriend has the exact same PCE-AC88U adapter and shes getting the same issue of only showing 3 spatial streams at 1300/1300

It has to be something on my router side as my girlfriend has the exact same PCE-AC88U adapter and shes getting the same issue of only showing 3 spatial streams at 1300/1300

That makes sense. How do you determine 3 streams vs 4 streams throttled somewhere?

Have you tried resetting the router and configuring it minimally to test?

OE

I can see it under my system log/wireless log. I have attached a screenshot of the info. I don't think I ever did a speed test or looked around at my connection on my routers stock firmware. I immediately switched over to Merlin. Will have to test stock firmware at some point but wouldn't think Merlin would cause this issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-184135.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-184135.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 179
Sorry, missed that part of your message. My PCE-AC88/RT-AC86U combo says 4(ac) on the wireless log, but the link rate is still limited to 1300/1300 at best.

Do you have to have NitroQAM modulation enabled to achieve a higher link rate with this hardware?

So i just got time to flash back to stock firmware and check and low and behold the router is now showing 4 streams! For some reason the Merlin firmware seems to have been the issue? Contemplating flashing back to merlin just to see if it drops back to 3 streams

you might just need to reboot it. it sometimes will cache and report weird stuff utill you reboot.