What's new

Performance of Recent ASUS Routers As Media Bridges?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gerry Wasiluk

Occasional Visitor
I'm curious what other folk's experiences are with using a recent ASUS router as a media bridge.

I've had two RT-AC88U's, one replaced by ASUS and neither have worked well as a media bridge. After about 2-3 hours, both kept "falling off" the network and the Internet connection for the devices attached would usually fail also. And I couldn't connect to the devices attached to the media bridge with something like an iPad app once that happened.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a recent ASUS router (say, from the RT-AC87U on) as a media bridge. I've seen a few posts here from a few folks mentioning issues with recent ASUS routers as bridges in the last few years. (I know that a hard wired Ethernet solution is far better, and I'll probably go in that direction, but I'm still curious here.)

Also, does anyone with a "router expertise pay grade" greater than my noob knowledge level believe the media bridge issues might be firmware correctable?

I use an AC 66 as a bridge mode and get great transfer speeds , connect between 702 and 760 mb , 30 feet away and 4 walls from router , AC 3200 . Only trouble is it does not work with 380.57 Merlin , stuck on Merlin 378.56

As I just posted in the regular RT-AC88U thread: "Knock on wood, but this firmware update may have solved the problems I was having with the RT-AC88U as a media bridge. Since installing the new firmware, it's been up for four hours so far and it's not fallen off the network. Here's hoping . . . ."

I'm still dealing with this, did you find a fix? I stream Steam to my bedroom from another pc and often the stream drops and I go look at the main pc and it's dropped connection and the router has to be physically reset.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!