What's new

Phone Adapter (ATA) SPA112 Issue - Possibly due to Android Phone USB Tethered WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kal1975

Regular Contributor
My internet provider is having a problem and internet is down for many people...Rogers cable for those interested. In any case, I USB tethered my Android phone to get my home network back up. All seemed to be working. I think I came across something that wasn't working and I believe I know why...but I don't know what to do in this case. I have a SPA112 telephone adapter behind the router which is not working now.

My WAN IP address when all is working is usually a public IP address. When the Android phone is USB tethered, the WAN address is a private IP address, 192.168.42.x My home network is also NAT'ed with 192.168.1.x subnet. I guess this is a double-nat situation.

I think the double-nat is the issue. I also just noticed that I can get incoming calls but not make outgoing calls.

Is there any way to confirm what the issue is and/or whether the double-nat is the issue? If so, what do you do in a double-nat situation? Is there a workaround?

Any help is appreciated.

Found the problem. I was using the IP Restrictions feature from my VOIP provider. I had to put in the public IP address of the Android phone into the VOIP admin screens.

Problem solved.