What's new

Phone keeps killing my AC66 wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kolyan

Occasional Visitor
Anyone know if there is a fix or trash this router? My Google phone kills my wifi everytime it initially connects to AC66 running latest Merlin on it. I read this on XDA "This issue is your phone checking multicast for google home devices and if any media is playing back"

Anyone know if there is a fix or trash this router? My Google phone kills my wifi everytime it initially connects to AC66 running latest Merlin on it. I read this on XDA "This issue is your phone checking multicast for google home devices and if any media is playing back"

you'll need to provide more info than that....

2.4 or 5 ghz? what is your setup?

what are the symptoms?

do you have igmp snooping enabled?

When the problem is occuring, does 5ghz still work? does wired still work?

Rule of thumb, use separate ssid for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

disable airtime fairness
disable MIMO
disable beamforming
use 20/40 or 20 for bandwidth on 2.4ghz

manually set the channel to 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4ghz (use the channel with the least conflict in your area)

if you are doing a lot of streaming consider enabling igmp snooping

you'll need to provide more info than that....

2.4 or 5 ghz? what is your setup?

what are the symptoms?

do you have igmp snooping enabled?

When the problem is occuring, does 5ghz still work? does wired still work?

Rule of thumb, use separate ssid for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

disable airtime fairness
disable MIMO
disable beamforming

manually set the channel to 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4ghz (use the channel with the least conflict in your area)

if you are doing a lot of streaming consider enabling igmp snooping

2.4 is disabled. Its 5ghz
Sometimes when phone connects to WIFI, it kills the router or at least the entire wifi. Not really sure if wired still works or not. I'll check out the settings, so far I couldn't find MIMO, Beamforming, or airtime fairness. IGMP was disabled so I did enable that one. Will test.
I never had this problem before, it started with some recent Android update like half a year ago or so

Look under wireless professional. Also try setting the 5ghz channel manually and make sure channel bandwidth is set to 20/40/80 and not 40 or 80.

Look under wireless professional. Also try setting the 5ghz channel manually and make sure channel bandwidth is set to 20/40/80 and not 40 or 80.

Thanks but that didn't fix the issue. Here is the settings page

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181031-105738.png
    Screenshot_20181031-105738.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 447
I do have another question, so if I was going to trash it and perhaps upgrade to this

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO-E Access Point Single Unit (No PoE Included in Box) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DSW6XX/?tag=snbforums-20

I assume I need some sort of switch to connect that AP and I dont understand the difference between Unifi Security Gateway vs Unifi Switch vs Unifi Edgerouter. And do I need Cloud Key (someone told me I need to buy that as well) I only need 1 wireless access point and I live in a condo that's 1350sq.ft.
Or is this all overkill to run a few Chromecasts, 2 phones, and 1 PC

well, before you trash it, I will do a power cycle + clear nvram with wps button to see if it helps

power off the router for 15+ sec, hold wps button while powering on
wait till power led start blinking then release it to let the router reset
and you can re-configure from there.

or enable the 2.4 ghz radio and try using that for the phone and keep the 5ghz for the other devices

also, what version of code are you running? I don't see a lot of the options i would expect.

That's 380.70

I am pretty sure I tested 2.4 a while ago with same results. I know I am not the only one with this issue and some routers. This all started for many with Android update

That's 380.70

I am pretty sure I tested 2.4 a while ago with same results. I know I am not the only one with this issue and some routers. This all started for many with Android update

I used android exclusively and have a over 10 android devices and at one point a pixel 2 and didn't experience what you are describing. I did end up having problems with 2.4 ghz instability when i went to 384 code base. which pretty much got resolved by

a clean wipe
separate ssid for 2.4 and 5 ghz.
disable airtime fairness
disable MIMO
disable beamforming

it may be worth a try before chucking it. And provide a copy of your wireless settings.

For example for 5ghz
is smart connect off
wireless mode is set to auto
bandwidth is set to 20/40/80 and not forced to 40 or 80
control channel is manually set
extension channel auto
wpa auth should be wpa2-personal

380.7 is the last merlin for original RT-ac66u I think
I think john's fork also support original RT-ac66u as well, it is also an option worth checking out.

My Google phone kills my wifi everytime it initially connects to AC66 running latest Merlin on
Check your phone - there's a few devices that bash mDNS, and Android is one of them - it's been fixed in newer releases of Android...

So am I understanding this right

John's is 374.43
Merlin 380.70
And Asus has 382.50

I am pretty sure there is something with Asus code that needs to be fixed. I noticed that many people with this same issue do have this AC66 router.

dont rely on the numbers, Merlin uses its own 2 digit numbering scheme behind branch (384) and John went off using very stable 374.43 Merlin code base and backports new codes.

Someone reported the same problem on my fork on an N66. Google had fixed the problem last year, but apparently re-introduced it with Android 8.1

As far as I know, there isn't a router fix available.

seems like the x66 routers are now in the same league as the old linksys wrt-54g as far as how much more can be done with them.
they've served us well, so now we can send them to pasture as APs

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!