What's new

PIA vpn and asus ac88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Katy

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering how I can get my upload and download speeds up when using PIA vpn. I have three firesticks that I am running the PIA vpn app on. I did a speed test with vpn on and off and the difference was significant regardless of the location of the firestick. For ex: on the firestick closest to the router I would get 225 down and 35 up without PIA vpn. I would get 70 down and 15 up with vpn on. would putting vpn on router help? If so, how do I set it up so that only the fire sticks use it. I want all other 10 devices to not use it. This is the reason I have app installed in each device. i have an asus ac88u router with the latest Merlin firmware. Thanks.

There's no way to know if the router would be better based solely on that one device, since we don't know what the limiting factor is; the device or what PIA can deliver w/ its servers. Or even if other servers may offer better performance. The only way to know is to try it.

As far as limiting the VPN to specific devices, you can use PBR (policy based routing) in the OpenVPN client GUI to choose which devices (based on their source IP) should use the VPN. All others will remain w/ the WAN/ISP.

I was wondering how I can get my upload and download speeds up when using PIA vpn. I have three firesticks that I am running the PIA vpn app on. I did a speed test with vpn on and off and the difference was significant regardless of the location of the firestick. For ex: on the firestick closest to the router I would get 225 down and 35 up without PIA vpn. I would get 70 down and 15 up with vpn on. would putting vpn on router help? If so, how do I set it up so that only the fire sticks use it. I want all other 10 devices to not use it. This is the reason I have app installed in each device. i have an asus ac88u router with the latest Merlin firmware. Thanks.
I have the same router. it doesn't have hardware acceleration for vpn. About 30-35 Down and up. Some or all AX models and 86U are faster with VPN.

Attachments

• screenshot_460.png
    screenshot_460.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Does that mean that if I have an ax router it will help? Also, does it help with me using vpn on router or on app?

A router with faster CPU will help. If you want more than one device using VPN. Router would be easier to manage them. But, if you want the fastest speed. App on each device would be better