1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Pihole and 86u router

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by OBENZ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. OBENZ

OBENZ Regular Contributor

Hi, yesterday I decided to use my spare rpi3 foe pihole. Everything is running fine, as I set up the IP of the rpi as the dns on the router. I edited hosts on the pihole to see client's name instead of seeing only the router IP, however doesn't seem to work. Is there any other settings in the router I should append to get it to show client's names instead of the router ?

2. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

If the Pi-Hole IP is configured in the router’s WAN DNS, then the router is the source of all queries to the Pi-hole, not the clients.

If you put the Pi-Hole as the only LAN DHCP DNS server, then set the router WAN DNS servers to your ISP or preferred DNS servers, then set the Pi-Hole upstream DNS to be the router IP, it might do what you want.

Disclaimer: never had a Pi-Hole, just a big pie hole. :eek:

3. OBENZ

Thanks will try that

4. OBENZ

Now how can I make my vpned client's use the DHCP config?it seems like the VPN server uses Google dns by default and that's causing the client's to be excluded from the pihole

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Change DNS mode on your VPN client.

6. OBENZ

How so?it might be obvious to you but I'm confused. I'm using OPENVPN android app and there's no way to change oy, can't change it on the phone neither as it requests some none local IP as dns address

7. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Pi-hole might become less interesting to quite some people?

One major change in this release is the removal of support for adblock style lists such as Easylist / Easyprivacy, so you may notice a reduction in the number of blocked domains if you have added lists like this in the past. The reason for this change is that these lists were never designed to be parsed into a HOST formatted file, and while it may catch some domains, there are far too many false positives produced by using them in this way. If you have lists in this format, Pi-hole will now ignore them, and attempts to get around the detection will likely end up with a broken gravity list.

https://pi-hole.net/2019/09/21/pi-hole-4-3-2-release-notes/

8. OBENZ

Yep I know that, which sucks TBH I had a big list now I have to trim down because of these changes but still it's a good tool to monitor tracking and block ads. My smart TV is chatting like crazy with it's manufacturer