What's new

PING AAAA requests don't get a reply from default dns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vitorsemeano

New Around Here
Hi, i have a RT-AX58U as the main router, and also a RT-AC68U as node using aimesh. The main router receives internet from a modem provided by my ISP through WAN.

I have a machine with ubuntu server, and for some time i have noticed a delay when using the command ping with any domain. The delay is approximately 5 seconds. I searched for this pattern on the internet and i found out that this is a timeout produced by an internal function, that fetches A and AAAA requests for the given domain name, but instead of getting 2 replies, he only gets 1 reply for the A request.

I also searched for resolutions to this problem, and this is related with misconfigured dns server or firewall rules that block this kind of requests. I also entered in the router via ssh, and the same behavior happens, the same 5 second delay.

My ISP still doesn't provide ipv6 support. I also configured google dns servers, in wan section (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

In my ubuntu server i didn't touch dns configurations, so i assume it's using the one provided by the router (192.168.1.1 and then redirects to the google one i think).

At this point i am at a lost, because i am not sure where is the problem. I don't know if this is a limitation of the router itself (I am using latest asus merlin firmware), in it's dnsmasq config, if is a rule set in the firewall of the router, or if the problem is in the isp side.

Since i am kind of a noob in networking, i am asking for an opinion in this matter, so i can identify the problem and fix it, if possible.

Anything that i can provide to help in this matter, just ask.

Thanks

I had a similar problem from my linux box. Pings were failing dns requests. I analyzed the traffic with Wireshark and it turned out that AAAA requests sometimes did net get answers. Then I read something about parallel dns requests and a race condition. Finally I discovered linux has reach configuration for dns resolution. All is explained in man resolv.conf.

My resolution was reconfiguration of linux, using single-request option. As it is explained in man:

Some appliance DNS servers cannot handle these [parallel] queries properly and make the requests time out