What's new

please eli5 merlin vpn client basics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dazedandlost

Regular Contributor
I think have a fairly good general understanding of what a vpn is and why it's a good idea to use one. There are two (and probably many more) things about using the vpn client that I just can't get my head around. I hope this is a very short thread, I quickly apologise for wasting everyone's time and I go away feeling like an id10t yet again. :) (I did stfw etc but everything I found is either far too advanced for me or something I already understand. I did not read the source.)

First:
The vpn gui allows creation of up to five client instances. Suppose I do that plain vanilla. What decides which instance is active, and how do I switch among them or are they all active all the time?

Second:
I see periods where ip's I expect to match are different. It seems highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the firmware but when I upgrade versions (dirty -I know) seems to be when the general behaviour switches from "match" to "no match" or vice-versa. What I mean here is that the router gui vpn client page reports that a client instance is "
1618170630110.png
" but ipleak reports "
1618170845909.png
. Shouldn't these be the same?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!