What's new

Please recommend AI Mesh node model

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jazbrokr

Occasional Visitor
Hi, currently I am running an AX11000 with a hardwired AC86U mesh node. I have been experiencing frequent failures that require me to reboot the AX11000. Asus even exchanged the 11000 for me. I have tried all firmwares, hard resets, beta firmwares, settings, etc. I am ready to throw the towel in and replace my AC86U. I think it is worth it if I get a 30 day money back guarantee on the new node. So, which model? I am leaning on the AX86U or AX92U. Any thoughts on whether to go tri band on the node to get the mesh on all bands?

At the end of the day, I really want max stability and no less speed than my AC86U when it works.

thanks!

The GT-AX11000 needs rebooting so you want to replace the RT-AC86U? ???

As you don't specify what troubleshooting you have actually performed or described what the symptoms are, throwing more money at the problem isn't the best course of action right now. Even if it will be proven to be at the end.

Does the GT-AX11000 show stability when it is the only router in the network?

Have you tested different Ethernet cables? Are there switches or other network infrastructure that may be affecting things?

What specific troubleshooting steps have you performed?

What specific issues are you facing and what logs, indicators or other symptoms does the network display when you need to reboot the main router?

How are you adding the RT-AC86U as an AiMesh node?

What firmware are the routers on, now?

I would suggest first flashing the RMerlin firmware on both, following the WPS Button reset method applicable for each as shown in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Then, get the GT-AX11000 router stable as the main router first, before adding the RT-AC86U as an AiMesh mode as described below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

If issues continue to persist, you may want to fully reset both routers you have as suggested by following the steps below.

Fully Reset Router and Network

And afterward, follow the best practice link above once more.

If the steps above do not bring your network/router stability, you may want to give further information and specifics of your network to get better advice.

Or you may find that one or both are suffering from (possible) hardware issues too.

Either way, following the steps above, will ensure that configuration/firmware interaction issues are eliminated as much as possible and you are actually trying to troubleshoot solvable issues instead.

thanks for the reply! I have been battling this for months. Tried endless troubleshooting. Both routers are stable as stand alones. The 86 is stable as the mesh node when not Ethernet backhaul. This is not an option as I get no signal where it is located, needs to be hardwired. I have tried endless firmwares. Both beta and official. I also hard reset them. The problem only manifests when the 86 is hooked up via the Ethernet backhaul. It is intermittent. At one point last month, it was staying stable for 5-7 days before a reboot is required. I have sent a dozen logs to Asus. They have been zero help. After updating to the official firmware recently, I was going down almost daily. Dead, no internet until reboot. Also unable to login to the router. Says incorrect password. All better on reboot.

as for Merlin firmware, I don’t think his firmware works with the 11000, no? Can I use his on the 86 while running the latest beta firmware on the 11000?

as for trying another router, I can always send back the new one if I want. I am at that point thinking maybe the overheating 86 is creating node instability. Not sure how to check the temp though with it as a node.

any ideas appreciated.

The GT-AX11000 needs rebooting so you want to replace the RT-AC86U? ???

As you don't specify what troubleshooting you have actually performed or described what the symptoms are, throwing more money at the problem isn't the best course of action right now. Even if it will be proven to be at the end.

Does the GT-AX11000 show stability when it is the only router in the network?

Have you tested different Ethernet cables? Are there switches or other network infrastructure that may be affecting things?

What specific troubleshooting steps have you performed?

What specific issues are you facing and what logs, indicators or other symptoms does the network display when you need to reboot the main router?

How are you adding the RT-AC86U as an AiMesh node?

What firmware are the routers on, now?

I would suggest first flashing the RMerlin firmware on both, following the WPS Button reset method applicable for each as shown in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Then, get the GT-AX11000 router stable as the main router first, before adding the RT-AC86U as an AiMesh mode as described below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

If issues continue to persist, you may want to fully reset both routers you have as suggested by following the steps below.

Fully Reset Router and Network

And afterward, follow the best practice link above once more.

If the steps above do not bring your network/router stability, you may want to give further information and specifics of your network to get better advice.

Or you may find that one or both are suffering from (possible) hardware issues too.

Either way, following the steps above, will ensure that configuration/firmware interaction issues are eliminated as much as possible and you are actually trying to troubleshoot solvable issues instead.

The firmware below is what I would suggest to flash to the respective router first, then follow the remaining suggestions posted. Many issues fixed with this firmware. And, this will ensure that both routers are using the same firmware codebase too.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive)

RMerlin-386-Alpha2-Downloads.png

The firmware below is what I would suggest to flash to the respective router first, then follow the remaining suggestions posted. Many issues fixed with this firmware. And, this will ensure that both routers are using the same firmware codebase too.

View attachment 31380
Thanks for the link. GT-AX11000 is a surprise. Will try this week. I wasn't aware that Merlin is working on supporting GT-AX11000.

thanks! Just flashed to the suggested Merlin firmwares. nice to see a temperature reading. Any way to check the temp on the node? Curious about my 86 as many report high temps.

hopefully this works.

View attachment 31380

Yes, there is a way to check via ssh, please use search to find those methods (a quick 'Better search' brings nothing presently).

My AIMesh network was formed by
AX86U AiMesh Router and is away 55 ft , 4 drywall to an AiMesh node AC86U via 5G Backhaul and been 10 days without restarting nor buffering (they are using AsusWRT official firmware)

Rather spending close to $500 for the AX11000 (almost got it), I split the spending, $220 for AX86U and $150 for AC86U - it covers more than 2000 sqft. I could have used only AX86U , maybe maybe just enough coverage...

If your AX11000 kept resetting, something might have already wrong with the unit, is it still in return window? You might try to replace it or just return it...close to $500 piece of equipment and has not performed very well...maybe best solution is to return it (if possible)

If you do not have additional feature to use that Merlin offered but AsusWRT, using AsusWRT is quiet stable as of my scenario!

Good luck!

Attachments

• myAiMesh2.png
    myAiMesh2.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 125
  • myAiMesh.png
    myAiMesh.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 110
thanks for the reply. My ax11000 has been replaced already with a new one. Not the unit. I only have issue with Ethernet backhaul. both my AC86 and ax11000 work fine as standalone routers. Been three days since putting in the Merlin firmware with hard reset. Crashed right after setting it up, but has been fine since. Fingers crossed!

My AIMesh network was formed by
AX86U AiMesh Router and is away 55 ft , 4 drywall to an AiMesh node AC86U via 5G Backhaul and been 10 days without restarting nor buffering (they are using AsusWRT official firmware)

Rather spending close to $500 for the AX11000 (almost got it), I split the spending, $220 for AX86U and $150 for AC86U - it covers more than 2000 sqft. I could have used only AX86U , maybe maybe just enough coverage...

If your AX11000 kept resetting, something might have already wrong with the unit, is it still in return window? You might try to replace it or just return it...close to $500 piece of equipment and has not performed very well...maybe best solution is to return it (if possible)

If you do not have additional feature to use that Merlin offered but AsusWRT, using AsusWRT is quiet stable as of my scenario!

Good luck!

Does this also happen when the AC86 is connected as a hardwired AP? If not, beyond slightly simpler set-up and management, what does Mesh mode provide that you can't get from a conventional router/AP arrangement?

so I threw the towel in after tonight’s crash (Right after the post where I said it had not crashed in days). I reset both routers and set up the AC86 as an access point. I only need it’s Wi-Fi when in the mancave. Mesh is not really a big deal for me. Will report back in stability.
Does this also happen when the AC86 is connected as a hardwired AP? If not, beyond slightly simpler set-up and management, what does Mesh mode provide that you can't get from a conventional router/AP arrangement?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!