What's new

Please share your experience with NASes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

j.mail38@verizon.net

New Around Here
I need a NAS for non mission critical but fairly important data storage. It would not rate expensive system from one of big boys but I still need business class reliability.

I was researching Thecus N5200 Pro and recently noticed mention of Sans Digital MN4L+

Both seem to be fairly small operations. I wonder how reliable their products are. For example Thecus N5200 Pro has a processor fan, how long is it going to survive?
Their warranty period is one year which is a bit short for storage products.

Anyway if you can comment on following, I would greatly appreciate:

- Overall hardware build quality and reliability
- Your hardware repair/replacement experience
- Software quality.
- Experience with raid auto-rebuild, hot spare use, work in degraded mode with one drive lost etc
- Tech support quality

Any other thoughts

Thank you,
Alex

I would look at Netgear's ReadyNASes.

Tim is SPOT ON. Look at the Readynas Duo for a less than $400 RELIABLE NAS. If you feel you need to buy a RAID 5 unit (or one that supports Active Directory), then the Readynas NV+ is a good choice.

The Readynas product line is well supported and is backed by Netgear. If you don't like the Readynas products, as a second choice choose Synology.

Basically, you want a company that has US representation!

Tim is SPOT ON. Look at the Readynas Duo for a less than $400 RELIABLE NAS. If you feel you need to buy a RAID 5 unit (or one that supports Active Directory), then the Readynas NV+ is a good choice.

The Readynas product line is well supported and is backed by Netgear. If you don't like the Readynas products, as a second choice choose Synology.

Basically, you want a company that has US representation!

Ok, thank you will check it out! BTW Sans Digital (Tim recently did performance tests of their MN4L+) has HQ in California. Have you heard anything about them? I do not see many references to them but they have some fairly hi end product lines

Thank you,

Alex