What's new

PoE Switch Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I want to get a PoE switch to run some cameras around the home. Never used or purchased one before. Would be great if you can recommend a good quality unit.

I'm going to run 5 cameras. But if I can also use ports for non PoE devices then 8 or 10 would be great so I can have some spares.

Many thanks

you need to know how much power each camera needs and at what voltage.
Then find a gigabit switch with more than that total power budget and at least the minimum voltage. Make sure you have extra budget, say enough for 1-2 extra cameras.

otherwise you will need to use power injectors on cables that you don't have enough total budget for in the switch.

If noise is a consideration, look for a POE switch with external power supply and no fan rather than a switch with internal power supply and fan.

Per @degrub's reply, I'd look for a switch that gives you at least 25% headroom for expansion, both in PoE budget and port count. Using a conservative max PoE estimate of 10W per camera, you're going to want a 65W-class switch (or higher) with at least 8 access ports, perhaps even 12 or 16.

I personally would look at the Cisco SG350-10P (or 350-10MP for 124W of PoE). They more or less set the bar for reliability and quality in the SOHO segment.

I bought a Cisco SG350-10P to try. I would like to reduce my power draw over my bigger switches. I am going to set it up using layer 3. Cisco makes some of the best POE switches.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!