What's new

Poll: are you using Asus Instant Guard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you using Asus Instant Guard?

• Yes I am using it and am happy with it :)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I tried it, but not much more than that :/

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, I have a different setup <3

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I haven't even heard of it :(

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I have tried it but having issues

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

torstein

I tried searching the forum about instant guard due to a 1 hour time-out issue I am experiencing (which might actually be intentional as it seems), but found very little info here.

So how many people here are using it? Have tried it? Or never heard of it?

I tried searching the forum about instant guard due to a 1 hour time-out issue I am experiencing (which might actually be intentional as it seems), but found very little info here.

So how many people here are using it? Have tried it? Or never heard of it?

What is it and how should I use it?

OE

What is it and how should I use it?

OE
It’s a VPN client for iOS and Android from Asus which uses your own Asus router (most AX and some high-end AC routers such as AC86U and AC88U i believe) as a VPN server, so you can have a safe VPN tunnel from your smartphone whenever you are on a public wifi. It's free of charge since its your own server. Easy to set up and use too. just a simple app with a big “connect” button. It uses strongswan.org implementation of IPSec/IKEv2 but seems to have an intentional disconnect after 60 minutes (i assume it’s to save smartphone battery)

https://www.asus.com/content/Instant-Guard/

Last edited:
Link dead, but I have never heard of it.

Maybe the app is required first.

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting about «always on vpn», except its only for android. ios doesnt have this option, yet for some reason 3rd party VPNs like mullvad and nordvpn allows always on through ipsec protocol.

so how can apps like nordvpn have always-on vpn on iOS but not Instant guard?

Reason I've not tried it yet, is because its for mobile devices only. I would rather have one solution which works for all my devices, phones and laptops.

I tried it. It seems I have to get it connected first while I'm at home via wifi before I am able to connect again when I'm away using mobile data. I have to redo this every time after the router rebooted. Is this the feature?
Compared to openvpn, I can get connected even after router rebooted.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!