What's new

Poll - XT8 Firmware - 48706 - wireless backhaul stability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Given the following configurations, is the wireless backhaul stable?

• AP mode - backhaul 160MHz

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • AP mode - backhaul 80MHz

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Router mode - backhaul 160MHz

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Router mode - backhaul 80MHz

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • None of the above!

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Regular Contributor
Just curious how stable the wireless backhaul is in different operation modes and maybe it'll help somebody out. First time attempting a poll :). pity there's no option for yes/no.

Vote for the option which is stable

Last edited:
AP mode - 80MHz, stable. posting my backhaul config in case it's useful.

Attachments

• zen_5_2_gen.png
    zen_5_2_gen.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 192
  • zen_5_2_prof.png
    zen_5_2_prof.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 186
I have two XT8 systems: both in router mode and 80Mhz bandwith on wireless backhaul (I don't need the 160mhz), one with 1 node and the other with 3 nodes... all of them are stable with latest firmware

I have two XT8 systems: both in router mode and 80Mhz bandwith on wireless backhaul (I don't need the 160mhz), one with 1 node and the other with 3 nodes... all of them are stable with latest firmware
Agreed, the latest firmware's have been extremely stable for me too. I have a setup with 4 XT8's on 48706 running without issues for 8 days now.

Hmm, where's the "none of the above" option?

I'm being snarky here, but from reading these forums there sure seem to be people for whom that holds true. For myself, I've gotten to stable performance with a pair of XT8s running firmware 42095 by disabling their backhaul radios entirely. The primary is running in AP mode, the remote in Media Bridge mode connected to the primary's 5GHz-1 radio, and they serve no wireless clients at all. This lashup seems to be 100% solid for connecting two wired LAN segments, but I don't think I would have spent the money for this hardware if I knew that that was all the use I could get out of it.

Hmm, where's the "none of the above" option?

I'm being snarky here, but from reading these forums there sure seem to be people for whom that holds true. For myself, I've gotten to stable performance with a pair of XT8s running firmware 42095 by disabling their backhaul radios entirely. The primary is running in AP mode, the remote in Media Bridge mode connected to the primary's 5GHz-1 radio, and they serve no wireless clients at all. This lashup seems to be 100% solid for connecting two wired LAN segments, but I don't think I would have spent the money for this hardware if I knew that that was all the use I could get out of it.

Your wish is my command!, option added :). Yes it's a pity that the firmware seems to be so unstable, I like the hardware. I thought it might be useful to see what people's experiences are and also maybe share configurations for specifically only the wireless backhaul. It's so bizarre that all our experiences vary so much that there doesn't seem to be a common reason.

For me personally 9.0.0.4.386.46980 is the best FW Asus ever released for the XT8. The only and only FW that causes no issues for me while using wireless backhaul at stock settings.

Yes, 9.0.0.4.386.46980 is an oldie but goodie. I'm finding the new firmware version, 48706, to be pretty similar so far. Stable with 80MHz. channel width for the 5GHz. radios using wireless backhaul, performing well. Also haven't seen my favorite bogus system log messages (that I've learned to love) as yet, but they may still come along at some point *smile*.

Update: They're here, my old favorite bogus messages haven't been removed yet. Makes me feel right at home.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!