What's new

Poor wireless do I need MOCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My AFCI breakers completely block the Home Plug signal. Do you know of any AFCI breakers that don't?

Breakers

Do some research before buying new breakers from a different manufacture for your panel. Most panels use a proprietary back plane design.

Even with the manufacture you can't always substitute. For instance Square D has two lines Homeline and SO.

Do some research before buying new breakers from a different manufacture for your panel. Most panels use a proprietary back plane design.

Even with the manufacture you can't always substitute. For instance Square D has two lines Homeline and SO.

Thanks I will have to do research as I know nothing about circuit breakers.

All those power line issues, and that they change as appliances/TVs/dimmers come and go, is why I use MoCA.
Of course, often MoAC isn't practical as there's no easy way to get coax where it isn't. As there's no way to do the same with cat5.

Last edited:
All those power line issues, and that they change as appliances/TVs/dimmers come and go, is why I use MoCA.
Of course, often MoAC isn't practical as there's no easy way to get coax where it isn't. As there's no way to do the same with cat5.

My entire home is wired with MOCA no Ethernet cables anywhere in my walls. I can't find a MOCA router either as they are doing away with them from what I have been reading.

MoCA... you said router... you mean "bridge". Symantics.

MoCA for consumers is becoming rather scarce.
http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=moca&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&cat=0

and some Actiontec showed up on Amazon searches.

I have D-Link- early versions. Working OK years later.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024FAQL2/?tag=snbforums-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Netgear-MoCA-Coax-Ethernet-Adapter-Kit-MCA1001-200NAS-/251251864705

Thanks for the links. Seems to be pretty expensive. I'll look into it.

My entire home is wired with MOCA no Ethernet cables anywhere in my walls. I can't find a MOCA router either as they are doing away with them from what I have been reading.
Do you mean wired with coaxial cable, or did you mean you actually already have a moca network running on said cables?

Finally figured this out. I have my RT-N66U in my man cave which is right under my bedroom so I get good wireless upstairs. Then in my dining room which is right below the room where I get the worst wireless signal I cascaded a TP-Link TL-WR842ND connected by powerline. Now that room above it gets between a 100-95% wireless signal. With both of these routers on the first floor on opposite sides of the house I now get 100-95% signal in all rooms downstairs and upstairs. One side of the house is connected to the RT-N66U and the other side is connected to the TL-WR842ND. Since it is connected Lan-Lan my entire house is on the same network. Thank you Tim and the rest of you for all of your help and advice. I greatly appreciated it.

MoCA would probably work much better than powerline networking for you...I get about 85Mbps here with it. Use it to stream between my computer and my TV in the entertainment center in my living room. Very reliable and consistent for me.

And if you are using it for multiple purposes (more adapters), you can do even better than that as far as total throughput goes.

I realize that this thread is old, but I haven't been here for a while *smile*.

Good luck.

Glad you figured this out. For the record, powerline can be VERY finacky with working fine and then suddenly not working. Not so with MoCA, so if you have a choice, now you know. :)

I'm glad you just figured out the wireless way--most of the women I know can't stand a wire. :rolleyes:

Glad you figured this out. For the record, powerline can be VERY finacky with working fine and then suddenly not working. Not so with MoCA, so if you have a choice, now you know. :)

I'm glad you just figured out the wireless way--most of the women I know can't stand a wire. :rolleyes:

very much agree

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!