What's new

Port forwarding checkers don't work until AFTER you connect through the app/device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

decker

Occasional Visitor
Using RT-AC86U on merlin (second to latest update). I opened a port to use with a p2p app. Then I verified with a port checker (https://canyouseeme.org/) to make sure it was working. It kept saying error it could not see the port. I was a bit confused since opening a port is pretty straightforward. I tried with different port numbers, different protocols (TCP/UDP/both) and they all failed. Finally I opened the app and tried to connect anyway. It connected fine. I went back and retested the port checker and now it said it can see the port. This happens with every port you open -- you have to actually make a connection through the port with the app or device before the port checker will say it is open which makes the port checker useless. I tried a different port checker with the same result. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this with my last router (non-Asus).

Is this some security measure with the RT-AC86U or a bug?

What "p2p app" are you talking about? Is it something that runs on your LAN, or is a client app (like on a phone) that connects to a server somewhere?

If this "app" runs on your LAN then it must be running for a port checker to see that the port is open.

What "p2p app" are you talking about? Is it something that runs on your LAN, or is a client app (like on a phone) that connects to a server somewhere?

If this "app" runs on your LAN then it must be running for a port checker to see that the port is open.

It's a torrent client app called Tixati, similar to Qbittorrent. But it happens on every client app.

It's a torrent client app called Tixati, similar to Qbittorrent. But it happens on every client app.
OK. So as I said above, an app (or service) must be running for any port checker to work. This is always the case.

P.S. You said you "opened a port". I assume you meant that you created a port forwarding rule. Correct? Most BitTorrent clients don't need a port to be manually forwarded because they have an option to use UPnP to do it automatically (assuming UPnP is enabled on the router).

Last edited:
OK. So as I said above, an app (or service) must be running for any port checker to work. This is always the case.

P.S. You said you "opened a port". I assume you meant that you created a port forwarding rule. Correct? Most BitTorrent clients don't need a port to be manually forwarded because they have an option to use UPnP to do it automatically (assuming UPnP is enabled on the router).

Hmm I could have sworn you were able to check the port at any time once it was forwarded. How does the router know if I configure a port in an app vs configuring a port in a port checker?

I know I can use UPnP but I heard it was less safe than port forwarding so I use that instead.

Last edited:
Hmm I thought once you forwarded a port it was considered always open and you could check to see if it was open at any time.
No, simply forwarding a port is not enough. For a port to be detected as "open" there has to be something listening on the destination port to acknowledge the connection.

How does the router know if I configure a port in an app vs configuring a port in a port checker?
:confused:

I know I can use UPnP but I heard it was less safe than port forwarding so I use that instead.
Your choice. Either way will work.

No, simply forwarding a port is not enough. For a port to be detected as "open" there has to be something listening on the destination port to acknowledge the connection.

:confused:

Oh that's what I thought a port checker was doing. My mistake then. Thanks for clearing that up

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!