What's new

port forwarding issue or firewall?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nathan Owens

Occasional Visitor
i have this as my iptables rules:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
#!/bin/bash

MyIP="$(getent hosts ADDRESS_HERE| awk '{ print $1 }')"

iptables -F
  iptables -X

iptables -F INPUT
  iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s $MyIP --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s $MyIP --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s $MyIP --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s $MyIP --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 --dport 22 -j REJECT
  iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 --dport 53 -j REJECT
  iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 --dport 53 -j REJECT

If I leave out anything allowing connections from/to local hosts, nmap will say filtered;
If I include anything about allowing connections from my local network it will give port 22 is closed or doesn't even show it in scan

/usr/bin/bash doesn't exist on the router
/bin/bash doesn't exist on the router
getent doesn't exist on the router

Are you sure you're posting in the correct forum?

Sorry, I fail to see what this has to do with Merlin's firmware.:confused:
True, I forgot to include picture of my port foward to see if I have it set up correctly atleast.

I've ran a port checker on it and it gives closed and I've also disabled iptables and I still get connection refused

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Sorry I must be stupid, I still can't follow you.

What rules are present for this situation?
If I leave out anything allowing connections from/to local hosts, nmap will say filtered;

If I include anything about allowing connections from my local network it will give port 22 is closed or doesn't even show it in scan

Sorry I must be stupid, I still can't follow you.

Lets say things like:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 192.168.50.0/24 as my router uses 192.168.50.1

But to test to see if it was my firewall blocking it or not I reset the rules so my machine is not blocking anything.

Even though I have port 22 in the WAN->port forwarding, it seems that the router may be the one blocking it

Lets say things like:

But to test to see if it was my firewall blocking it or not I reset the rules so my machine is not blocking anything.

Even though I have port 22 in the WAN->port forwarding, it seems that the router may be the one blocking it

That iptables command looks wrong as that won’t allow any WAN IP from connecting to your SSH server.

Are you sure you have flushed iptables correctly? Are you sure the SSH server is up? Does your ISP filter ports?

That iptables command looks wrong as that won’t allow any WAN IP from connecting to your SSH server.

Are you sure you have flushed iptables correctly? Are you sure the SSH server is up? Does your ISP filter ports?
I'm sure I did both iptables -F then iptables -X ; sshd is up and before I installed merlin firmware I did have it working, so ISP isn't filtering. I can ssh to the host if i ssh into the router first

Code:
Revan# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Last edited:
I think @kfp is correct. The source address will be an external IP address so it won't match 192.168.50.0/24.

Are you sure that sshd is configured to allow access from outside the local subnet.
For some reason I also can't connect from inside my network either unless I go through router.
If you have enabled SSH access to the router from the WAN then disable it. You can't have two different SSH server's listening on the same IP address and port.
Even if I told the ssh server for router to be on a unique port as well?

Even if I told the ssh server for router to be on a unique port as well?
That should be OK then.

For some reason I also can't connect from inside my network either unless I go through router.
This sounds like a misconfiguration on computer. Have you checked the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files? Was your previous router using a different IP address range from 192.168.50.0/24? Are you sure your computer is actually 192.168.50.114?

Can you explain what this command is meant to return? I'm assuming that ADDRESS_HERE is actually your computer's IP address, correct? In which case it seems to do nothing useful.:confused:

MyIP="$(getent hosts ADDRESS_HERE| awk '{ print $1 }')"

Lets say things like:
The commands in your OP don't show a netmask and $MyIP appears to be a single IP address, so this iptables rule doesn't seem the same as the code in the script.

Actually seems to be working fine now, I just disables iptables. Also thankfully I can only connect to it if I am either on my wifi or using vpn. it was sshd issues