What's new

Port Forwarding not working on RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micahp

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to Port Forward 44158 on my RT-AC88U. However, when I try any kind of scanning tool, it says that 44158 is closed or can not be reached. Any ideas what could be going on? I believe I have it correct on the router side(see image). I have also disabled UPnP. Thanks in advance.

- Micah

Attachments

• imageedit_5_2843580544.png
    imageedit_5_2843580544.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 361
Your image is too small to read.

Are you sure the host machine is listening on that port when you are doing the test?
Have you created the appropriate rule in the host's firewall?
Have you confirmed that your router has a pubic IP address?

@ColinTaylor, sorry about the image. See new image.

Are you sure the host machine is listening on that port when you are doing the test?
Have you created the appropriate rule in the host's firewall? - Could you point me in the direction on how to confirm this?

Have you confirmed that your router has a pubic IP address? - I believe so, when I log into the router the WAN IP is 192.168.x.x

Attachments

• imageedit_6_7475453796.png
    imageedit_6_7475453796.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 297
Have you created the appropriate rule in the host's firewall? - Could you point me in the direction on how to confirm this?
I have no idea as that is down to whatever application/machine you are using.

Have you confirmed that your router has a pubic IP address? - I believe so, when I log into the router the WAN IP is 192.168.x.x
192.168.x.x is not a publicly accessible IP address so port forwarding won't work unless the upstream router also has port forwarding enabled.

I have no idea as that is down to whatever application/machine you are using.

192.168.x.x is not a publicly accessible IP address so port forwarding won't work unless the upstream router also has port forwarding enabled.
Ok, so the public IP is likely the issue. Is there a way to get the public IP of a specific device on my network?

Is there a way to get the public IP of a specific device on my network?
This question makes no sense. Devices on your local network have private IP addresses. Only the device connected to your ISP equipment (i.e. a router or modem) may have a public IP address. What device is connected to your router's WAN port?

Last edited:
This question makes no sense. Devices on your local network have private IP addresses. Only the device connected to your ISP equipment (i.e. the router) may have a public IP address. What device is connected to your router's WAN port?
Gotcha. That makes sense. It's a Helium Hoptspot miner. It has a very minimal UI with no way to check what PORT it's listening on.

Sorry for the confusion. I've never heard of Helium Hotspot. I assumed it was some sort of device connected to your LAN (just like a PC). But it sounds like this is providing the internet feed to your router. Is that correct? Do you not have a "normal" internet connection via a phone line or cable modem?

Sorry for the confusion. I've never heard of Helium Hotspot. I assumed it was some sort of device connected to your LAN (just like a PC). But it sounds like this is providing the internet feed to your router. Is that correct? Do you not have a "normal" internet connection via a phone line or cable modem?
Confusion is on my part. Traditional internet. Internet is provided to a gateway which is then is connected to my router to provide internet to the house. The Helium Hotspot is a network connected device.

OK. So what is the internet gateway device? If this device is just a modem, or a router/modem that can be "bridged", it may be able to provide a public IP address to your RT-AC88U.

Can you confirm your earlier statement regarding the router's WAN IP address shown at Network Map > Internet status > WAN IP address.

OK. So what is the internet gateway device? If this device is just a modem, or a router/modem that can be "bridged", it may be able to provide a public IP address to your RT-AC88U.

Can you confirm your earlier statement regarding the router's WAN IP address shown at Network Map > Internet status > WAN IP address.
Attached are images of both the gateway and WAN IP. I'm not sure exactly what the gateway does, it might be a simple modem.

Attachments

• gateway.jpeg
    gateway.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 235
  • imageedit_7_3599364448.png
    imageedit_7_3599364448.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 294
I'm not familiar with that kind of device. It looks like this unit: https://www.alliedtelesis.com/gb/en/products/fttx/multiservice-access/img1400-series/img1425

From your router's WAN IP address the gateway appears to be acting as a router. I don't know whether you can log into the gateway and change some of it's settings (port forwarding, DMZ, or bridged connection). If you can't then you won't be able to fix your original problem.
Any reason that Gateway is needed? Could I just use a simple switch?

Like I said, I'm not familiar with that device. But it looks like a fibre converter (plus router, WiFi and VoIP). In which case it is almost certainly required.

Once you do get traffic thru the gateway, you'll need to:
- set a local machine port on your port mapping (probably 44158) along with the local IP address
- verify your local machine's IP address is in fact the one in the port mapping
- verify the application/service is running and accepting network traffic
- like Colin said, make sure the local machine's firewall is open for the port and application

BTW, you can get your WAN/public IP address from some websites, like https://www.whatismyip.com/.

Just curious, is your router using the latest firmware?

Once you do get traffic thru the gateway, you'll need to:
- set a local machine port on your port mapping (probably 44158) along with the local IP address
- verify your local machine's IP address is in fact the one in the port mapping
- verify the application/service is running and accepting network traffic
- like Colin said, make sure the local machine's firewall is open for the port and application

BTW, you can get your WAN/public IP address from some websites, like https://www.whatismyip.com/.

Just curious, is your router using the latest firmware?
Right now I’m working to try and get a public IP from my ISP. I think that’s the issue. Hopefully should hear back from the ISP soon.

Please update your RT-AC88U firmware. Based on the screenshot you provided, your firmware version 3.0.0.4.380* is from early 2018 which contains exploits. You can choose either one of the following which were both released today:

ASUS RT-AC88U firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386.45987 (Dec 16, 2021)
Custom RT-AC88U firmware by RMerlin: 386.4_beta1 (Dec 16, 2021)

Oops — my bad

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!