What's new

Possible ASUS RT-AC88U issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saberous

New Around Here
I first started having issues in the middle to end of May with packet loss when playing video games and streaming. At first I thought it was an issue with QOS, but after disabling the feature and updating the firmware I still experienced the issue. I connected my pc to the modem and still had the issue. Over time I noticed this packet loss issue would occur at around 2:30pmish, and again round 4:30pm, 9:30pm every day. I contacted my ISP, and asked if I was experiencing a cut-over drops. They stated my router was old and need to be replaced.

After the modem replacement, I am now dropping internet connection all together.The internet connection is down for about 30 to 45 seconds or 2.3 minutes. My internal network is still working. I use OBS and an NDI plugin to stream from a 2nd PC. The obs ndi connections doesn't interrupt when the issue occurs. I also save video to at file server on my network with no issues. Stardock Multiplicty virtual KVM works with no issues.

During one outage, I connected the pc to the modem and still was unable to connect for about 2min. By the time I got Tech support online I had connected back to the internet. I ask the the isp tek what had happened and he said there was nothing wrong from what he was seeing on his end. He stated he was not seeing the modem down or a recent drop in signal.

That was the response from my ISP tech's for about two weeks.
I requested a new modem on Monday now I'm waiting on delivery.

However during today's outage, my pc did connect to the internet when I connected straight to the modem, and when I connected back to my router, I still had internet access. Not sure if this was a fluk but Ill continue testing when my internet drops again.

During these outages I looked in System Log- General Log, and saw a lot of these.

Jul 2 18:12:11 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:15 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:19 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:23 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:27 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:31 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:35 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:39 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0

I did find a thread on SNB called

portsLinkStaus=0 after ac88u 3.0.0.4.385_20585 update

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/portslinkstaus-0-after-ac88u-3-0-0-4-385_20585-update.64755/

But I did not see anyone saying that it was dropping their internet.

Is there a log file in my router that I'm possible missing?

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.385_20630

Any other troubleshooting tips I should try out? I hope the new modem fixes this issue but something tells me it won't.

This definitely sounds like an ISP issue. But...

You normally can't just unplug a modem's Ethernet cable and plug it into a PC and expect to have a working internet. The modem needs to register the MAC address of the device plugged into it on the ISP's network. If you need plug a different device (with a different MAC address) into the modem the usual procedure is to power off the modem, wait 10 or 20 minutes and then turn it back on.

One way to avoid having to go through this procedure is to use the "Clone MAC address" option in the router's GUI. You could then for example, clone the MAC address of your PC to the router. Once you have applied this change, power off the modem and wait 10-20 minutes just to be sure that when the modem comes back up it registers the new MAC address. Now both the router and the PC have the same MAC address which in theory should allow you to change which device is directly connected to the modem.

Regarding the actual problem, can you log into the modem and look at its log file?

I thought that was odd myself when I plugged my PC into the modem, and got internet right away. I had figured the Modem had stored the PC's Mac. I am unable to to get into the modem but I am research the device.

I first started having issues in the middle to end of May with packet loss when playing video games and streaming. At first I thought it was an issue with QOS, but after disabling the feature and updating the firmware I still experienced the issue. I connected my pc to the modem and still had the issue. Over time I noticed this packet loss issue would occur at around 2:30pmish, and again round 4:30pm, 9:30pm every day. I contacted my ISP, and asked if I was experiencing a cut-over drops. They stated my router was old and need to be replaced.

After the modem replacement, I am now dropping internet connection all together.The internet connection is down for about 30 to 45 seconds or 2.3 minutes. My internal network is still working. I use OBS and an NDI plugin to stream from a 2nd PC. The obs ndi connections doesn't interrupt when the issue occurs. I also save video to at file server on my network with no issues. Stardock Multiplicty virtual KVM works with no issues.

During one outage, I connected the pc to the modem and still was unable to connect for about 2min. By the time I got Tech support online I had connected back to the internet. I ask the the isp tek what had happened and he said there was nothing wrong from what he was seeing on his end. He stated he was not seeing the modem down or a recent drop in signal.

That was the response from my ISP tech's for about two weeks.
I requested a new modem on Monday now I'm waiting on delivery.

However during today's outage, my pc did connect to the internet when I connected straight to the modem, and when I connected back to my router, I still had internet access. Not sure if this was a fluk but Ill continue testing when my internet drops again.

During these outages I looked in System Log- General Log, and saw a lot of these.

Jul 2 18:12:11 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:15 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:19 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:23 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:27 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:31 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:35 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0
Jul 2 18:12:39 kernel: portsLinkStaus=0

I did find a thread on SNB called

portsLinkStaus=0 after ac88u 3.0.0.4.385_20585 update

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/portslinkstaus-0-after-ac88u-3-0-0-4-385_20585-update.64755/

But I did not see anyone saying that it was dropping their internet.

Is there a log file in my router that I'm possible missing?

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.385_20630

Any other troubleshooting tips I should try out? I hope the new modem fixes this issue but something tells me it won't.
You could dump the stock FW and try Merlin firmware and see if the issue persists that would help localize the issue / problem

I thought that was odd myself when I plugged my PC into the modem, and got internet right away. I had figured the Modem had stored the PC's Mac. I am unable to to get into the modem but I am research the device.

Colin is mistaken, he thought you bypassed the modem itself.

Then you're completely mistaken in your claim that the ISP cares what the computers mac is,

only the modems mac is authenticated by the isp.

only the modems mac is authenticated by the isp.
I never said anything about modem authentication. If the modem is operating as a transparent bridge the client device needs to connect to the ISP's DHCP server (assuming the customer has a dynamic address) to get an IP address. The precise behaviour will be dependent on the ISP implementation, but usually it requires power cycling the modem when the customer's client MAC address has changed.

I had problem like you slow loading pages on last update. I rollback into 2 updates backward and all is working great.