What's new

Possible Router Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LuxDrgn

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a RT-AC3200 Running Merlin. I have been thinking about possible upgrades
before I get my fiber internet installed. Does the community have any suggestions? Or is my
current router plenty enough? Thanks in Advance!

I currently have a RT-AC3200 Running Merlin. I have been thinking about possible upgrades
before I get my fiber internet installed. Does the community have any suggestions? Or is my
current router plenty enough? Thanks in Advance!

Anything other than the fiber internet making you think you want an upgrade? Is the fiber gigabit speed?

Otherwise maybe the AC86U.

Otherwise maybe the AC86U.
Can't vouch for that router with that speed but for the router itself its great for me and what I do. I own two of them with varying speeds at both locations. Works great!

Can't vouch for that router with that speed but for the router itself its great for me and what I do. I own two of them with varying speeds at both locations. Works great!

I don’t think we know the speed of his fiber connection yet.

I have an 86U on a gigabit fibre to the property connection and it’s very good. Good upgrade from my 88U (which is now an AiMesh node).

Major benefits are the CPU/hardware able to handle more load (particularly VPN throughput) and the Wi-fi signal is at least 30% better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My connection should be 100M/25M. I am not really having any issue with it currently, i just had not realized
how old it was and i had bought it refurbished. I just like to get the most out of my devices and services.

My connection should be 100M/25M. I am not really having any issue with it currently, i just had not realized
how old it was and i had bought it refurbished. I just like to get the most out of my devices and services.

Honestly, absent any other needs not being served by your current router, your AC3200 will serve you fine with that connection.

Find out if your fiber is via PPPOE or DHCP.

Anything below the HND platform doesn't have hardware acceleration on PPPOE connections.

So you will get CTF only not CTF+FA

Which means high cpu utilization when doing large transfers.

Edit.

100mbps/25mbps up is not fast enough for the above to be an issue you will be fine with current and go AX if you want it to last.

Last edited:
Honestly, absent any other needs not being served by your current router, your AC3200 will serve you fine with that connection.
Agreed.
However, If OP wants to spend some money on something that will not become obsolete over the next 5 years, look at the AX series...if OP thinks they'll want to upgrade within 3-5 years, the AC86 is great.
Either way, they'll be able to turn their existing router into an AiMesh node to the new master router, and they'll be able to count on stellar coverage.
(Remember to have wired backhaul between master/node for optimum config of the mesh)

Either way, they'll be able to turn their existing router into an AiMesh node to the new master router, and they'll be able to count on stellar coverage.

Unfortunately the AC3200 does not support aimesh. I wish it did as I have one collecting dust.

Doing a quick search i have seen the RT-AC88U and the RT-AX56U. I will be streaming mostly
with some gaming and large file download/transfer and web surfing. 3-4 people at most. I am going to assume that
since merlin is supported on those that my experience will be about the same? or if anyone has another
recommendation?

The RT-AC88U is getting long in the tooth now

As others have said, for real longevity go for an AX router.

At similar price points, the RT-AX58U is the router I would buy today over an RT-AC86U. As it seems you're itching to buy something. :)

If the budget allows, the RT-AX88U is the better long term buy. But as stated above, your connection speeds (100/25 Mbps down/up) can probably be maxed out by your current router already.

By holding off on this (unneeded) purchase today, you may be allowing yourself the chance to do a real upgrade when the WiFi6E routers start shipping sometime later this year.

If i am using mostly older devices, would the 6E offer anything over wifi 6?

6E is exclusively the extension of the 5Ghz into the 6GHz band. As far as I know only the FCC have talked about opening it up for use, so who knows how widespread it’s use and uptake will be globally.
I certainly wouldn’t worry about it for another couple of years!

Edit: looks like EU are opening only the lower 500Mhz of the 6Ghz band (initially at least).

the AX88U sounds like a winner then. But i will have to keep an eye on the wifi 6e routers. Thank you for all of the
information!

If i am using mostly older devices, would the 6E offer anything over wifi 6?

No, not currently. But neither will any other router you're considering either. :)

But if you must spend, at least spend on a model with all the currently known bells and whistles. :) :) :)

the AX88U sounds like a winner then. But i will have to keep an eye on the wifi 6e routers. Thank you for all of the
information!

Good choice, that’s a monster router that should serve you well for a number of years.

This may sound a bit silly, but any recommendations on accessories? I have a UPS and a laptop cooling
pan on my current router.

UPS is all I’d care for.
And a good USB3 drive for Entware/Swap/Logs etc I guess

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!