What's new

Possible to use OpenVPN client for some of the network, not all? (RT-AC66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf

Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma. I have a VPN service which I have tested successfully in the OpenVPN client section of my ASUS RT-AC66U using the latest Merlin firmware (374.43).

The problem (not unexpected) is that I cannot use my laptop to IPSec VPN into my firewalls at work when OpenVPN is on.

I only need OpenVPN on for a few specific systems, or alternately, I need to make exceptions for two laptops I'd use from home. Is it possible to do this, and what do I need to do?

Last edited:
I figured it out. Rather than making large exceptions, I made a port trigger for the TCP port my VPN client uses. This bypasses the OpenVPN client settings and lets either my home or work laptop VPN out to my work sites without issue. If I need some additional programs through, I'll do it as much as possible by port number, so that I don't have to set up a DMZ for one of my sites.

Frustrating. I'm having times where the port trigger isn't working, and I've had to turn the OpenVPN client slider off temporarily to use my Shrew VPN client to connect to the WatchGuard firewalls at work.

This is somewhat frustrating. I need a consistent solution, and I really don't want to use the DMZ. Using the OpenVPN on the RT-AC66U has also turned out to be the best way to have my VPN subscription service work, as I've found the Windows client sometimes seems to be working when it's not.

Anyone have an idea on how I can route some of my network (e.g., an address range) through the OpenVPN client on the router, but not all?

Selective routing

You can try selective routing. All information you need is here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!