What's new

Potential fix for iOS devices sucking up BW - iptables fix - need testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strange, as I use exactly the same settings you posted earlier. What's even more strange, I disabled the bandwith limiter, switched back to Adaptive QoS, bandwith to automatic, priority to customized, and even after that I'm still seeing the same errors, even though I've never seen them prior to yesterday. The only I can try now is to disable QoS for now, and turn it back on. Can't reboot the router untill tomorrow if nescessairy, as the baby monitor needs wifi and the alarm which sounds when the connection gets lost might wake up my son...
LOL.....I remember those days. I always rebooted after making changes so maybe that is something.

He's nine years old , is autistic, has ADHD and has a severe anxiety disorder, any kind of unexpected alarm, even an unannounced kitchen timer might trigger an attack, so that's something to be aware of constantly. I'll just leave it for now, it doesn't bother me and everything works fine, even the video feed from his room is fluent, but definitely something to look at tomorrow, as I can't stand unexplainable errors, especially those when changes were reversed. @RMerlin , any clues what could cause this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen that error message. All I can think is that on one restart of the QoS service, it didn't get the chance to remove a lock (maybe two changes tried to get applied at the same time), leaving a stray lock in place.

Either remove /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock over SSH, or reboot.

Never seen that error message. All I can think is that on one restart of the QoS service, it didn't get the chance to remove a lock (maybe two changes tried to get applied at the same time), leaving a stray lock in place.

Either remove /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock over SSH, or reboot.

Thanks for your feedback. I just disabled QoS entirely, the log shows:

Code:
Jun 09 23:37:04 dMP17 rc_service: httpd 1401:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Jun 09 23:37:05 dMP17 syslog: Error locking /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock: 0 Already locked
Jun 09 23:37:05 dMP17 syslog: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor

Manually removed /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock, which was to my surprise created nearly 1,5 hours before I even made any changes to the QoS-settings, mentioned in this post. Will turn back QoS back on now, with it's original settings (Adaptive mode, bandwidth auto) and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, I'll reboot tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Quick update: flipped the switch to disable QoS entirely, removed the lockfile as @RMerlin suggested through SSH, switched QoS back on (Adaptive mode), no more errors in syslog after 6 six hours of sleep... Thanks for your help!

I've run into an issue 'possibly' with this script and I would like to disable it for testing purposes, how do i go about doing that? I apologize as this is my first dip into the world of scripting router firmwares, I added this and didn't have a back out plan.

As far as the issue i've encountered it's two fold, one is Siri response queries on my home network across our various apple devices is VERY slow, if i take that same device and toggle over to LTE and run the same query it's almost instantaneous.

Second, is I just purchased an Apple Watch, it has the ability to unlock my mac via BT proximity sensor. But in order to register the watch to perform that function it must connect to Apple the first time while all three (iPhone, watch, iMac) are on the same Wifi network. I cannot complete that registration process, it simply times out. I have tried everything Apple support and the internet has suggested. So my last resort was removing this script just to make sure it's not causing some issue.

I've run into an issue 'possibly' with this script and I would like to disable it for testing purposes, how do i go about doing that? I apologize as this is my first dip into the world of scripting router firmwares, I added this and didn't have a back out plan.

As far as the issue i've encountered it's two fold, one is Siri response queries on my home network across our various apple devices is VERY slow, if i take that same device and toggle over to LTE and run the same query it's almost instantaneous.

Second, is I just purchased an Apple Watch, it has the ability to unlock my mac via BT proximity sensor. But in order to register the watch to perform that function it must connect to Apple the first time while all three (iPhone, watch, iMac) are on the same Wifi network. I cannot complete that registration process, it simply times out. I have tried everything Apple support and the internet has suggested. So my last resort was removing this script just to make sure it's not causing some issue.
I've just answered your question in your other thread. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/merlin-fw-w-custom-script-noob-question.39874/#post-332644

So my watch finished it's registration process no issues, and Siri seems to be responding better, but I want to give that a bit more time for more testing.

Do not do this if you want Siri to respond with any great quickness.

I added these rules to my router and rebooted. Holding the home button on my iPhone 6 Plus to activate Siri and it took 3-5 seconds or more before she would accept commands. When issuing a command she hung for 1-2 seconds on every word. Then another 3-5 or more seconds to execute the command. Once I removed these block lines and rebooted she went back to operating at full speed.

Thanks for your feedback. I just disabled QoS entirely, the log shows:

Code:
Jun 09 23:37:04 dMP17 rc_service: httpd 1401:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Jun 09 23:37:05 dMP17 syslog: Error locking /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock: 0 Already locked
Jun 09 23:37:05 dMP17 syslog: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor

Manually removed /var/lock/qos_ipt.lock, which was to my surprise created nearly 1,5 hours before I even made any changes to the QoS-settings, mentioned in this post. Will turn back QoS back on now, with it's original settings (Adaptive mode, bandwidth auto) and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, I'll reboot tomorrow and see if that fixes it.
auto bandwith is for 10gb id advise setting manual bandwith, see if that helps