What's new

Potential Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blade x

New Around Here
I have been reading the articles here for quite sometime and now its time to make a decision. I store a lot of data and often run out of space quickly so I am looking to build a 3Tb NAS. I work a lot with Music and soon, Videos. This NAS would also serve as storage and not just back-up of Destop or other drives, as I have a laptop with only 320 GB capacity. I will also do steaming of large files to my PS3 via a wired connection.

Synology 409 or 409+ (I like their interface and iPhone apps very much)
4 x WD Black 1Tb drives
APC UPS 650 or 750
RAID 5 setup = 3Tb

I know this wont provide total protection against data loss, but I plan on setting up a second NAS eventually (probably Synology 209 with 2 x 1.5 Tb drives) to backup this one.

Should I go with a 409 or a 409+? I will be steaming files much larger than 256mb.
Are 7200RPM harddrives the way to go? I think the green drives have some problems in RAID configurations from what i hear.

If you think there is a better setup to serve my needs, please make recommendations or corrections to what I typed here as i am new to NASs.

Thank you!
Mukur

Last edited:
I didn't see a big difference in performance between the two. Synology says that the DS409+ can handle multiple concurrent users better.

Stick with the recommended drive list.

Don't wait too long to put a backup for the NAS in place. Even backup to attached drives is better than relying on RAID5.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!