What's new

PPPoE relay not working as expected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robertof

New Around Here
Hello,

I need some advice on a problem I found on both the Merlin firmware and the stock one. I have an RT-AC56U, and my configuration is the following:

Code:
ISP's modem <--> ASUS RT-AC56U <--> Clients

The RT-AC56u is configured to use PPPoE as the connection mechanism, with the authentication parameters given by my provider, and it works fine. However, I have to establish a PPPoE session on one of my clients, and I thought that the "PPPoE relay" option was made exactly for this purpose: to forward PPPoE packets to the modem connected to the WAN interface of the ASUS.

Enabling the option, though, makes no effect. PPPoE sessions don't work: Windows gives me error 651, on Linux pppoeconf fails, and pppoe-discovery does not show anything.

The only thing that changes when enabling the option is the creation of this process on the router:
Code:
/usr/sbin/pppoe-relay -C br0 -S eth0 -F
Looking at the manpage of pppoe-relay and at the interfaces of the router, the command line looks correct, but I don't get why it isn't working. I am 100% sure that the problem is not on the ISP's router side - it allows multiple PPPoE sessions without any kind of problem.

Can someone give me some advice on what to do? I can provide any details about my configuration, and I am willing to perform any test.

Thank you,
Roberto