What's new

Printer dies occasionally

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko Polo

Just decided to start separate thread, maybe my posts are not so visible in the other's thread.
It seems I have the same issues on AC68-U. The printer prints one-two pages and then dies, after that only router reboot helps.
I tried to plug-unplug the printer, but that didn't help.

Code:
Nov 29 19:06:56 kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
Nov 29 19:06:56 kernel: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x330C
Nov 29 19:10:38 kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 4
Nov 29 19:10:38 kernel: usblp0: removed
Nov 29 19:10:41 kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
Nov 29 19:10:41 kernel: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 5 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x330C

Rebooting the printer for each page is not cool. Any solution?

Which printer is it?

Are its drivers and associated printer software up to date?

Any point in trying a different printer, assuming you have access to one, just to aid in the troubleshooting?

Does the printer still show up when you do a fresh network scan after it becomes unresponsive? If you reboot the printer rather than the router does that bring it back to life or is it only a router reboot that does it?

Last edited:
Which printer is it?

Samsung ML-1860

Are its drivers and associated printer software up to date?

I suppose yes.

Any point in trying a different printer, assuming you have access to one, just to aid in the troubleshooting?

Will be hard, cause I do not have any by my hand.

Does the printer still show up when you do a fresh network scan after it becomes unresponsive?

We are speaking here about usual printer connected via Print-Server, not about network printer. How network scan will help here?

If you reboot the printer rather than the router does that bring it back to life or is it only a router reboot that does it

Only router reboot, rebooting the printer is useless.

I read the thread of your earlier posts that you linked to in #1, and I get the impression you really need to forget about connecting to the poor old router and consider some other way to connect your printer.

Those thread was started not by me, and actually only the last post is mine.
Also I do not treat my AC68-U as old poor, among all Merlin-supported devices only couple of routers (maybe 3) are stronger than mine, and those improvements are not critical for starting a print-server. Many guys here own weaker devices and run print-server just fine.

As they say about AC5300 here: "just light some $$$$ on fire" :)

I had a similar issue, but it was only happening when printing from one of 3 computers. I uninstalled the printer, deleted the port, and reinstalled the printer with a freshly created port. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the port is using LPR and not RAW.

I never use anything on USB port. I just use wireless pinters. Now Brother color laser, Canon Photo printer on wireless which never give any problem.

Well, factory reset didn't help, and updating Windows drivers as well. Any other suggestions?

One thing: when the printer is connected directly to a laptop/pc, does it print more than one page without stopping? In other words, are you satisfied the problem only occurs when the printer is connected to the router?

I used to use Asus printer server with rt-56u. No problem.
I am thinking whether it could be an out of memory issue to due big printing job. Have u try printing simple test print of a text file with a few word... how many page/times u can print before it stop printing/detecting.
If really memory issue, maybe can try install swap file with a USB drive using ab-solutions from thelonelycoder.

Have u tried swapping around with the USB port and have u try swapping USB cable?

By the way, this is wireless printing issue or wired lan printing issue. I mean is the client connected via wireless or wired lan when printing. If wireless, have u tried wired ethernet connected printing?
If wireless issue, try using basic channel like 1, 6 in 20mhz.

Yes, it is printing perfectly directly from PC.
I am not satisfied with the problem in any way. Will try to set up print-server with cheap RT-N10U. Have anybody had such experience?
Sorry, I didn’t mean are you satisfied with the problem, of course you aren’t, but were you fairly sure the problem occurs only when the printer is running off the router. And from your reply tgat is the case.

By the way:

1. Do you have the ame problem whether you plug into the USB2 or USB3 port?

2. Did the printer ever work properly on earlier firmware versions?

I also had a quick search on the forum eg https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-380-64_2-printer-problems.36860/#post-303236
and it seems you have good reason to look at othrr ways to set up your print server, but why stick with Asus? What about using a Raspberry Pi eg https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-wireless-printer-raspberry-pi/

I am thinking whether it could be an out of memory issue to due big printing job. Have u try printing simple test print of a text file with a few word... how many page/times u can print before it stop printing/detecting.
No, it's highly unlikely. Usually I print 2-3 sheets, it's not hundreds of pages.
Typical scenario: after certain print job it prints all the pages (as far as I remember it never fails during the job) but next job fails. PC shows the printer is offline. After router reboot all works fine but after one (maybe two) jobs the cycle repeats.
Have u tried swapping around with the USB port and have u try swapping USB cable?
Will try to change port to USB3.0, now it is in USB2.0.
this is wireless printing issue or wired lan printing issue.
Wireless. But I believe it doesn't matter, problem is that router doesn't see the printer, not that laptop doesn't see the router.
2. Did the printer ever work properly on earlier firmware versions?
Didn't check on previous Merlin builds, I can only say for sure, that it worked on stock firmware before like a charm.
What about using a Raspberry Pi
It seems I will have to switch to that solution. But prior to that, I will try to use RT-N10U.

Although it seems that OP solved the original problem, this may help future readers. As of 10/1/18 I found the same "printer dies" problem with LPR on T-mobile 3.0.0.4.376_3199. Changing to CFE 1.0.2.0 AIMesh and ASUS Merlin v384.7_2 solved it. My trusty HP 2420 had been printing via USB for 2 years with dd-wrt on a Buffalo router, and now continues to print with Asus Merlin.

Last edited by a moderator: