What's new

Privacy and TrendMicro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you trust TrendMicro and use AIProtection services on your ASUS router?

• No.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I haven't tried AIProtection services yet.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

#TY

Recently, I've come across a dilemma over whether or not to enable AIProtection on my ASUS router. Some argue that TrendMicro siphons way too much information from your network's activity while others do not consider it too invasive.

I'm curious as to what most think. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 9.50.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 9.50.12 AM.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 535
It’s been discussed at length before and no point continuing because everyone has their own opinion and nothing more. It’s a personal decision. Read the EULA privacy policy and search forum threads and decide if you’re comfortable.

Recently, I've come across a dilemma over whether or not to enable AIProtection on my ASUS router. Some argue that TrendMicro siphons way too much information from your network's activity while others do not consider it too invasive.

I'm curious as to what most think. Thank you.

The benefits outweigh the cons right now.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-6-now-sharing-data-to-trend-micro.48202/page-7#post-458680

When used with Skynet, I think the benefits are even higher. ;)

Heck no. Why would I install something to protect my privacy and internet security so that the provider invades my privacy and security? It's like installing malware.

On top of the questionable data mining by TrendMicro are more than a few reports by folks that their broadband speed is cut in half (or reduced) when AiProtection is enabled.

These 2 'new' replies to over two-and-a-half-year-old threads aren't relevant today. Just like they weren't back then either (better search brings those threads up too).

Everyone has a choice of what to run on their router. But as my post from so long-ago states, the benefits still outweigh the possible cons.

Anything else that offers a similar level of 'protection' operates the same way. Tradeoffs are everywhere.

And the bottom line is always the same; if you're online, thinking you're 100% safe (and private), you're not. No matter what marketing may sway one to believe.

Last edited: