What's new

Things to try when Network Map Clients List freezes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rabauke

New Around Here
I recently replaced an AX-86U (which died) with an AX-86U Pro and have been experiencing daily instances where the Clients List accessible via the ASUSWRT official management UI freezes (no devices are added or removed, tx/rx, time connected are stuck and no longer update, also affects display of devices across the whole user interface and the app, e.g. devices using bandwidth are not shown in the respective UI). This can be fixed by a reboot but then occurs again later the same day (only had the device for a few days, so only have a few observations of this so far). I am trying to see what I can attempt to remedy this.

Searching the forums, I have seen that issues with the Clients List are common and seem difficult to get rid of (and impossible to fix since the code for the clients list is closed source). I have found some suggestions for what to do and would just like to make sure that I haven't missed anything. Here are the options that I have thought up myself and gathered so far:
- update firmware to latest stable release (done, no effect)
- Regular reboots (would have to be daily if the frequency of occurrences remains the same)
- Check for individual devices that may cause this (seems reasonable since freezes seem to happen in evenings when people come home)
- Hard factory reset (untested)
- Click Refresh on status list (should repopulate list but did not work when I tested it)
- Enable a guest network on 2.4 GHz (untested, sounds more like a one-time fix?)
- execute killall networkmap to restart the service via cronjob (tested, no effect)
- execute killall asusdiscovery to restart the service via cronjob (tested, apparently not running when I tried to kill it)
- Perhaps switch to official beta releases (untested)
- Switch to Merlin which may have fixes for some issues that may cause this (untested)

Added suggestions from others:
- Try different web browser (untested by me)
- Disable "TrendMicro services" (untested by me)
- Keep "TrendMicro services" enabled (untested by me)

I was wondering whether there are other suggestions for addressing this that I have missed in my search (not an expert, so may have search with wrong terms). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try a different browser as well. I do not have very high hopes though given that I can see the effect also on the Asus App on Android.

Oh, this issue is so annoying - I do not understand why it remains unfixed for years! That's not some rocket science, other manufacturers somehow managed to solve this. BTW, I noticed that having TrendMicro services enabled prevents the list from freezing, at least in my case.

Oh, this issue is so annoying - I do not understand why it remains unfixed for years! That's not some rocket science, other manufacturers somehow managed to solve this. BTW, I noticed that having TrendMicro services enabled prevents the list from freezing, at least in my case.
Thanks, I'll add "Keep TrendMicro services enabled" right under "Disable TrendMicro services" then ;)

... Here are the options that I have thought up myself and gathered so far:

- Enable a guest network on 2.4 GHz (untested, sounds more like a one-time fix?)
Didn't work for me.
- execute killall networkmap to restart the service via cronjob (tested, no effect)
Didn't work for me.
- execute killall asusdiscovery to restart the service via cronjob (tested, apparently not running when I tried to kill it)
Didn't work for me.
- Perhaps switch to official beta releases (untested)
If you mean 3.0.0.6, I've been there (with a subsequent hard factory reset), and its not fixed there.
- Switch to Merlin which may have fixes for some issues that may cause this (untested)
Happens on Merlin FW.
Added suggestions from others:
- Try different web browser (untested by me)
* Interesting to contemplate that it could be an http code issue.
- Disable "TrendMicro services" (untested by me)
Disabled on all my routers.
- Keep "TrendMicro services" enabled (untested by me)

I was wondering whether there are other suggestions for addressing this that I have missed in my search (not an expert, so may have search with wrong terms). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I've seen this happening on different router models and different firmware. Comes from Asuswrt base. Also Traffic Analyzer and Web History. Rebooting the router unfreezes the services temporarily. Next freeze event may happen randomly on the next day or 2 weeks later. No reliable solution so far.

As far as a reliable browser, I've had good success with Firefox and my RT-AX86U, and the clients being reliably updated. It is true, that in the past I had the counter freeze, but after doing a reboot, then later on a factory reset, it's been pretty reliable since. I don't currently use the Trend Micro features, or even really any of the advanced features (except maybe guest network.)

After I set up my router, I really have no need to regularly log in, other than to keep an eye out for firmware updates. Other than that, I pretty much have set it and forgot it, unless I notice strange network behavior.

I also have a couple alternative routers to my RT-AX86U to switch to when problems come up to see if it's client issues, or router specific issues. Even in doing this, I have found I've been able to keep the RT-AX86U in use as the main router most of the time without issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!