What's new

Private dns question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdmf74

Regular Contributor
I've been enabling private dns on my samsung A50 (dns.google) and I was just wondering since I am also using DNS-over-tls on my rt-ac86u (Latest Merlin build) should I instead use the OFF setting in my phone or the automatic setting?

I'm assuming it's not necessary to have it enabled in both places (phone & router) however what about when I connect to a different wifi hotspot or use my data to browse the web?

Nice ad below btw... Asian girl with the fake pink lips smiling like a donut smh

Last edited:
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I haven't been shopping for an Asian girl with her mouth wide open but I would take one for free, regardless that doesnt answer my question

LMAO......fun to see you teased by them:p
Well,IMO...I'm using Samsung A9 and I found that there's no differ either "off" or "auto"..i've no idea what exactly the nuance among them(dns drifts to the connected wifi otherwise it switched to cellphone provider carrier).
If you choosing private DNS,it will be always on .

turn it off. Then set up unbound (without DoT), and a VPN server on your router that your phone connects to when off your wifi.
Your router can run WireGuard as the VPN (for speed):

that'll be about as private as it gets.