What's new

Problem changing admin password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonHK

New Around Here
Hello, this is the first time I post something on this forum.

For some reason, I can login with the password. But when I trying to change the password, it shows the message "the old password was incorrect". The problem occurred in both the stock Asuswrt firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I can probably fix the problem by doing a factory reset, but are there other ways to solve the issue?

Hello, this is the first time I post something on this forum.

For some reason, I can login with the password. But when I trying to change the password, it shows the message "the old password was incorrect". The problem occurred in both the stock Asuswrt firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I can probably fix the problem by doing a factory reset, but are there other ways to solve the issue?
How many characters in your password? If the password has to many characters it might be getting truncated. Do you have a special character or a space somewhere in your password?

You probably are stuck with having to do a factory reset and trying another shorter password, no spaces and perhaps using just the more common special characters.

The router password is 16 in length without special characters. If you typed anything longer, it would be truncated without letting you know. Poor programming if you ask me.

Depending on the router model and firmware version, the maximum length now is 32 characters.

When was the latest firmware flashed on this router? What was the previous version? Has the router ever been fully reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configured?

Given that the router is not in a good/known state and depending on the answers to the questions above, it may be time for a full reset.