What's new

Problem w/AC-86U Tethering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NoelS

Regular Contributor
I posted this on the Merli board thinking it was a Merlin specific issue. Got no replies, so maybe it's a general issue for the hardware, so moving it here, Anyone experience this issue?

I recently upgraded from an AC-68U to an AC-86U (AMAZING upgrade!). However, I'm having an issue with USB Tethering. I am in a remote area and keep an Android Phone "permanently" tethered for data. However, there is a difference in the AC-86U that makes this significantly less "automatic". When the router is turned on, the phone will never recognize the USB is connected unless/until I unplug/replug the USB cable. Even after fully connected (after the initial unplug/replug), if the router is turned off or loses power, the USB Port will not be recognized by the phone until another unplug/replug. This is NOT the case on the AC-68U. I would appreciate it if someone knows of a fix for this issue, or knows why the difference.

Last edited:
Try moving it to the other USB port.

Thank you So Much for responding. I know that this may seem to be a small problem in the larger scheme.
I tried the other USB port as you suggested. Same behavior. Phone cannot "see" the USB port unless/until an unplug/replug.
I don't want to put the vendor/Asus through the expense of a swap if this is a problem common to all of these routers. Do you think I have a hardware problem?

Thank you So Much for responding. I know that this may seem to be a small problem in the larger scheme.
I tried the other USB port as you suggested. Same behavior. Phone cannot "see" the USB port unless/until an unplug/replug.
I don't want to put the vendor/Asus through the expense of a swap if this is a problem common to all of these routers. Do you think I have a hardware problem?

It may be, or it may just be an incompatibility with the phone/router.

You may want to try an ac powered USB port hub and connect the phone and router together through that, as a test.

Did you notice that there is a new firmware available? You may want to flash that too as a test, but make sure to do a full reset to factory defaults afterward to get the router in a good/known state and giving it the best chance to work for you.

Later Merlin? I'm on 384.10_2

No, not yet. Unless you want to try the 384.11 Alpha 3 offering? For what it's worth, it is working stable for me with an RT-AC68U, RT-AC3100 and an RT-AC86U.

The Asus stock firmware just got bumped to the latest '713 level though (with the rest of their routers).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!