What's new

Problem with AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

I can’t get this Aimesh system to work. I’m hoping someone can chime in. I only use Merlin for diversion. It seems like every time I setup the router using dns filtering and just install Aimesh the nodes I connect crawl to a halt. When I do the WPS reset on both my router and node then configure them over it starts out with excellent speed to the node. After I then configure things like ssh / diversion when I go back to my node I’m getting 1mbps. Idk if I should downgrade back to Aimesh 1.0. Anyone else experiencing this. My node is also a 5300.

I can’t get this Aimesh system to work. I’m hoping someone can chime in. I only use Merlin for diversion. It seems like every time I setup the router using dns filtering and just install Aimesh the nodes I connect crawl to a halt. When I do the WPS reset on both my router and node then configure them over it starts out with excellent speed to the node. After I then configure things like ssh / diversion when I go back to my node I’m getting 1mbps. Idk if I should downgrade back to Aimesh 1.0. Anyone else experiencing this. My node is also a 5300.
Some indicate that both units should be on the same firmware and only setting up the master, then apply the node. Others have better success when the master is on Merlin and the node is on stock firmware.

Have you tried both scenarios?

Edit: Same code base level for both, not 386 mixed with 384. Use most recent.

Some indicate that both units should be on the same firmware and only setting up the master, then apply the node. Others have better success when the master is on Merlin and the node is on stock firmware.

Have you tried both scenarios?

Edit: Same code base level for both, not 386 mixed with 384. Use most recent.
Yeah I’m actually on stock on the nodes most recent stock and Merlin on the master when I setup with all Merlin it’s even more unstable. What im thinking of doing is running my other 5300s in media bridge and use my Orbi in AP mode for WiFi.

The method that I follow (and invariably works) is:
  • Flash all routers to the same version of the firmware. Today, I would be hard-pressed to not use RMerlin 386.3 Beta 1.
  • Reset all to factory defaults, using the appropriate WPS method for the router in question. After they have been reset, turn them off (physically unplug the power plug from the router) and do not turn them on until you're ready to connect them as nodes (see below).
  • On the main router, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Use the suggested 'best practice' defaults from the links below. Do not insert any USB devices into the router at this point.
  • Make sure that the USB drive you intend to use for amtm and the swap file is FIRST formatted as NTFS on a PC. Do not insert a previously used amtm USB drive into the router.
  • Fully set up all scripts you want to use via amtm (or manually). Be sure to test after installing every script that all is working as expected. Be sure to reboot the router and then test once again.
  • With the above complete and fully tested and verified working, you can now add your AiMesh v2.0 nodes.
  • Add your nodes by powering on the additional router, going into the main router's GUI, and '+ Add AiMesh Node'.
  • After the node is added, wait for 5 to 15 minutes before you power the node off and move it to the location you want it in.
  • Power it back up and wait until it is stable once more (5 to 15 minutes, depending on the router model).
  • Repeat the above steps to add all the nodes to your network.
With all the nodes added, I would reboot the system via the AiMesh, System Settings, System Reboot button via the GUI.

If the network is still not stable, choose a different Control Channel until it is. Be sure you reboot the entire network after each change while testing.

About L&LD

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

The method that I follow (and invariably works) is:
  • Flash all routers to the same version of the firmware. Today, I would be hard-pressed to not use RMerlin 386.3 Beta 1.
  • Reset all to factory defaults, using the appropriate WPS method for the router in question. After they have been reset, turn them off (physically unplug the power plug from the router) and do not turn them on until you're ready to connect them as nodes (see below).
  • On the main router, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Use the suggested 'best practice' defaults from the links below. Do not insert any USB devices into the router at this point.
  • Make sure that the USB drive you intend to use for amtm and the swap file is FIRST formatted as NTFS on a PC. Do not insert a previously used amtm USB drive into the router.
  • Fully set up all scripts you want to use via amtm (or manually). Be sure to test after installing every script that all is working as expected. Be sure to reboot the router and then test once again.
  • With the above complete and fully tested and verified working, you can now add your AiMesh v2.0 nodes.
  • Add your nodes by powering on the additional router, going into the main router's GUI, and '+ Add AiMesh Node'.
  • After the node is added, wait for 5 to 15 minutes before you power the node off and move it to the location you want it in.
  • Power it back up and wait until it is stable once more (5 to 15 minutes, depending on the router model).
  • Repeat the above steps to add all the nodes to your network.
With all the nodes added, I would reboot the system via the AiMesh, System Settings, System Reboot button via the GUI.

If the network is still not stable, choose a different Control Channel until it is. Be sure you reboot the entire network after each change while testing.

About L&LD

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021
So while I appreciate this thorough step by step and I really do. The thing is I’ve done all this three times already. This would be my fourth time cause after a while the speed on my wireless nodes crawl. It isn’t happening with my wired nodes. The wired seem fine. I don’t know why this keeps happening and honestly you see all the steps it’s a PIA to keep doing this over and over.

The steps outlined above are half hours of work to get basic internet/network usability (max).

Your descriptions seem to be different than what I am suggesting in the outline above.

I wish you luck. I don't have any better suggestions to offer at this time.

So I tried your steps. Again, it's slowing after some time. Meaning it works perfect till it just stops working & then it slows for some unknown reason.

So I tried your steps. Again, it's slowing after some time. Meaning it works perfect till it just stops working & then it slows for some unknown reason.
Computer Steve,
I also have the AC5300s and it is in AiMesh....I have been having issues with wireless on the Merlin firmware for some time. Believe me when I say I so appreciate everything Merlin has done for our community so this is absolutely no bash on him or anyone else, but I have noticed as we move on that the upgrades just do not work on my ac5300 mesh. This latest firmware was tried and after a few hours my internet speeds on my wireless devices were 1/4 of what they should be. So, I downloaded the ASUS firmware off of the ASUS site and have been using that since yesterday with 0 issues to report so far. Just keep that in mind of you are tired of pulling your hair out.

Yeah so I noticed that as well thats why on my nodes I have official firmware on them & only have merlin on the main router. Still the problem is happening.

I also have the AC5300s and it is in AiMesh....I have been having issues with wireless on the Merlin firmware for some time.

Similar experience with AiMesh 2.0 with mixed routers. AiMesh 2.0 all on Asuswrt is more stable than all on Asuswrt-Merlin.

Similar experience with AiMesh 2.0 with mixed routers. AiMesh 2.0 all on Asuswrt is more stable than all on Asuswrt-Merlin.
Yeah so obviously something is going on. Is it possible for @RMerlin to chime in on this. Is it something happening possibly only on your firmware. I’ve heard from a few people that if you change to stock it’s stable. This answer stinks and doesn’t help if you need to run scripts such as diversion. I have set this up now 8 times because I thought I was doing something wrong. Each time the 5300 nodes eventually loose speed and the ping shots up.

There must be something in your setup that is causing that.

No issues with all RMerlin firmware on main + AiMesh nodes for me or my customers.

There must be something in your setup that is causing that.

No issues with all RMerlin firmware on main + AiMesh nodes for me or my customers.
@L&LD The only things that I do every time I set up the router following a WPS reset & your instructions. I first start to use AMTM to install Diversion (Standard), & I enable DNS-Filtering to exclude certain clients which I add to the list using Custom 1 on the clients I don't want blocked which is Google DNS. I have Global Filter Mode set to ROUTER as per the instructions for Newer Android Devices. I then again used the Diversion FAQ to Block ads for connected clients for the Open VPN Server & followed that enabling Advertise DNS to clients so I can use adblocking out of the house on my iOS device. The only other thing that isn't Diversion related is I use Tiger VPN Client to Policy Rules Strict a few Android TV devices that I stream content that I don't want my ISP seeing lol. I do also enable AiProtection. So I don't really feel like thats such an extreme setup. Some people on here are running all different scripts / Like uiDivStats, Cake QOS, YazFi, ETC. I don't have anything else but Diversion & Entware / pixelserv-tls. If I didn't want the ad-blocking that diversion offers & the VPN client policy rules feature I would be on stock firmware because I don't use anything that sophisticated.

I have 2 RT-AC5300's as well. I was having lots of problems including some of what you mentioned.
I fought against doing a complete factory reset, however when I did a factory on both the router and the node and then reinstalled 386.2_4the issues went away. I resisted doing a factory reset but now realized I should have done it sooner. I did keep the same SSID so I did not have to re-setup all of my IOT devices.
Have you done a full factory reset? If so swap your node for router and router for node and factory reset again and then let us know what you find.